BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

BPM

01-28-2009, 09:03 AM   #1
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M-Sport

New Alfa to be based 1-series chassis.

Just found this over on Autoblog.

"...while the BMW 1 Series' architecture could put Alfa back on the rear-drive performance map.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/28/f...-with-bmw-too/
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 09:20 AM   #2
tommy
Benz Interloper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 Benz C230, 1990 CRX ZcSi

Hmm - a 1 series platform with a nicer Alfa interior would be a great combo.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 11:02 AM   #3
ZIPNBYE
Let's save military ranks for those who earn it!
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...on the Ragged Edge

Garage List
To heck with the interior...if they could make it look like the Alfa 8C...pure sex on wheels.
2011 BMW 1-series M Coupe (#205/220) -- Valencia Orange (sold)
2009 BMW 135i M-Sport Coupe -- Space Grey (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 05:07 AM   #4
Breville
Scum in the sun
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe TiAg

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Freekin great combo. BMW engineering and Alfa design. Perfect company.

One should love animals. They are so tasty.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 05:57 AM   #5
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

that is goiong to be an interesting product.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
fijigabe0
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i M Sport

and it will be sold as a Chrysler in the US!!!

'13 335i M-Sport

Past - '06 330xi, '07 X3 3.0si, '09 328i, '12 X3 XDrive 35i
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 06:53 PM   #7
Severious
Private
Rep
Drives:

Well, That would be interesting.... an Alfa that still had all the features working after a year....Insanity!
Black Boston Leather
Walnut Trim

Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Ipod/USB interface, Premium Audio, BMW Security System

Ordered: March 8, 2008
RE-ordered: June 20, 2008
Production complete: July 7, 2008
Delivered: August 5, 2008

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 09:30 PM   #8
NYSPEM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT

Am I the only one thinking the MiTo is fugly?

Certified V1 Zombie
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2009, 04:10 AM   #9
Hula-Hula
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSPEM3 View Post
Am I the only one thinking the MiTo is fugly?
I like it, I saw it live at n?rburgring last summer and it was freakin hot. The italians sure know how to make a red look red!

Wow alfa and BMW sounds like an amazing combo, if it will be cheaper with similliar driving pleasure as the 1-series I think we have a winner!
________
Yamaha dsp-1
________
Coach Handbags
________
condominiums sale Pattaya

Last edited by Hula-Hula; 08-27-2011 at 08:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2009, 11:17 PM   #10
135i_TT
1Addict, and proud
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 135i M-Sport

Garage List
Wait its gona be sold as a chrysler but is a combination of BMW and Alfa??? That doesnt make sense and if chrysler is selling it I wouldnt even think about looking at it... ive heard and seen all the trouble and prblms chrysler/dodge has and they dont last and theyre just a mess.... id be realllllllllllllllly disapointed if bmw or alfa combined with chrysler/dodge.. thats my opinion... and from responses ive seen from some people here they hate the 135i so they probably wont like the idea of the combo or anything...

BMW AW 135i ZMP:6mt,Coral Red Leather,Silver Matte Trim,Heated Front Seats,I-Drive,HD Radio,Ipod/Usb,Comf.Acces
www.wix.com/TT135i/Moi
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 06:48 AM   #11
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_TT View Post
Wait its gona be sold as a chrysler but is a combination of BMW and Alfa??? That doesnt make sense and if chrysler is selling it I wouldnt even think about looking at it...
OK - here's the skinny, Fiat is purchasing 35% of Chrysler from Cerberus (stock transaction). Fiat is the umbrella company for Alfa (not to mention one of my all time favorite manufacturers, Lancia).

Fiat has been trying to find a way back to the US market for both Fiat and Alfa branded cars. Now that they control a good chunk of Chrysler they have access to a distribution and service network.

The Alfas and Fiats that'll be sold in the US will probably be built in existing Fiat facilities for the foreseeable future. Some Fiats may eventually be built in Chrysler plants.

I got a buddy that's owns a Chrysler store and next I run into him, I'll ask how he sees the Fiat move. (His is a Chrysler only store, he had a Dodge/Jeep store for a bit but never consolidated them - somebody made him an offer $$$$$ so they could sell Jeeps ; -).
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 07:27 PM   #12
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
I believe Daimler still owns about 20% of Chrysler?
Not because they want to.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 08:43 PM   #13
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Now with the bmw chasis I hope they don't mess up the steering and suspension. The 8c is absolutely gorgeous and I love to pieces but TG's reviews were not flattering at all. It's an eye candy.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 10:18 PM   #14
ihavedrivenanm1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ['02 e46] '06 e90

And thus begins the downfall of BMW [if this "rumor" is true].

In the econo world platform and parts sharing may be OK but in the performance/luxury world it has always spelled disaster.

Ford and Jaguar, Mercedes and Chrysler, etc.

Just think how it makes a Jag owner who just spent $60K-$70K on his XJ8 feel to know that the $30K Lincoln in the next lane has the same engine, platform, and switch gear.

Or how the Mercedes E-Class owner feels about the Chrysler in front of him having the same platform and despite them being very nice cars Audi has always been an also-ran to it’s German brethren because of its Volkswagen underpinnings.

Even Fiat realized that the Ferrari marquee was being harmed just by supplying engines to Maserati but at least they stopped before the damage was done.

Sure, BMW has/does own/owned other marquees - Bentley, Range Rover, Mini, etc. But they just owned those brands. They didn't supply parts or platforms. The production of BMWs and those other cars was completely separate [save for Rolls Royce once using the engine block from the 750 for the Phantom].

Nope, nothing good will come of this for BMW lovers. It may help the owner’s bottom line but not the people who love, buy, and drive their cars.

Oh well...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 03:27 PM   #15
Barbera335
Captain
Rep
Drives: F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavedrivenanm1 View Post

In the econo world platform and parts sharing may be OK but in the performance/luxury world it has always spelled disaster.

Just think how it makes a Jag owner who just spent $60K-$70K on his XJ8 feel to know that the $30K Lincoln in the next lane has the same engine, platform, and switch gear.

Or how the Mercedes E-Class owner feels about the Chrysler in front of him having the same platform and despite them being very nice cars Audi has always been an also-ran to it’s German brethren because of its Volkswagen underpinnings.

Even Fiat realized that the Ferrari marquee was being harmed just by supplying engines to Maserati but at least they stopped before the damage was done.

Sure, BMW has/does own/owned other marquees - Bentley, Range Rover, Mini, etc. But they just owned those brands. They didn't supply parts or platforms. The production of BMWs and those other cars was completely separate [save for Rolls Royce once using the engine block from the 750 for the Phantom].

Nope, nothing good will come of this for BMW lovers. It may help the owner’s bottom line but not the people who love, buy, and drive their cars.

Oh well...
There is alot of wrong information here, Go look at an 02 or 03 Range Rover. It shares very much with an E53. Everything from body electronics to the Navigation system, switchgear, etc. It uses the same M62TU engine and 5 speed automatic trans. Even the climate control microfilter is the same part. The same goes for Mini, the first generation used the same body electronics as an E46 and the current Mini uses E90 body electronics right down to the CCC system. As for Rolls Royce, it rolls on a modified E66 platform using a worked over N63 and ZF 6 speed from the 760. There is absolutely nothing wrong with platform sharing and electronics sharing as long as it is done right. It is only logical and a great cost saving measure. All manufactures do it and your naive to believe otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 03:53 PM   #16
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
The article (which is speculative) says that Alfa is looking at the 1 OR the Mini. It will probably depend on how eager BMW is to make a deal. In the end, it's not likely to produce a product for the US market for a couple years and if it's carrying the Alfa badge it's not going to be large numbers either.
      02-02-2009, 10:44 AM   #17
PPower
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1998 M3 sedan

Garage List
I would love to see a 1 series hatch w/ Alfa Romeo design. Absolutely awesome. Especially if BMW won't bring a hatch to the US, let Alfa do it. That would make for a great differentiation.

Fiat really needs to use RWD platforms for the Alfa and Lancia lines, but they have been just using their own Fiat and GM fwd platforms for how long now? This would be an excellent companion to the 8C with their new US debut. I just feel like if Alfa comes with a FWD lineup, they'll end up very low on the luxury totem pole one notch above Saab.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 08:15 PM   #18
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavedrivenanm1 View Post

Oh well...
I highly doubt jag and merc owners are aware of what other models are using the same transmission or engine. In this day it is impossible to make money selling cars w/o sharing parts between models.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 10:23 PM   #19
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrichd View Post
Just found this over on Autoblog.

"...while the BMW 1 Series' architecture could put Alfa back on the rear-drive performance map.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/28/f...-with-bmw-too/
maybe it would be friggin cheaper than the 1er too. Italian looks with German brawn would make for a great combo.

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
Appreciate 0