BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-19-2009, 11:09 AM   #1
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Matte black grills, gills and emblems!

After much thought, I've decided to concentrate more on the visual mods for this car than the performance mods (the car is fast enough). So I need your opinion.

Should I do the matte black grills, side gills, and near emblem or should I keep them stock and do another visual mod?

Provide pics if you have any.

BTW, I have a Space Grey e92 with moonroof.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 12:12 PM   #2
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

I would do the black out look on the M3, I think it's a subtle way to set your car apart and make it more aggressive without being over the top.

Here is swamp2's car:

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 12:52 PM   #3
lebreeze
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18’c63s,15’macanturbo,14’ 991s

Garage List
2008 e92 m3  [0.00]
I would do the grill and maybe emblems. But I like the chrome gills.
      01-19-2009, 01:24 PM   #4
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Everything but the emblems. I like the BMW color of white and blue, I wouldn't want to change their logo. But the chrome sucks so I would def change that to black. Plus it's only a minor expense. Chrome is cheap looking in my opinion.

On a side note: Wouldn't it look cool if all the chrome was replaced with a brushed aluminum? hmmm if I had the tools or the money I might try making replica pieces out of aluminum instead to replace all the stock chrome parts.
      01-19-2009, 01:57 PM   #5
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
Everything but the emblems. I like the BMW color of white and blue, I wouldn't want to change their logo.
Thanks for the input so far. Keep em coming.

I like the emblems too. I was reffering to the M3 logo/emblem on the rear trunk lid.

I haven't seen any matte black grills in person but from what I've read, they look cheap. Can anyone confirm this?
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 02:01 PM   #6
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

I have the matte black grilles and like them. No more or less cheap than chrome. I painted my rear M3 emblem black, but kept the flag colors original. I prefer almost any finish to chrome.
      01-19-2009, 02:01 PM   #7
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Let me know if your gonna paint your stuff - you'll go to Collision Networks (the body shop who did mine) nice and cheap and you can choose if you want matte black or shiny.

Also, if you do the front grille, I HIGHLY recommend you dont do the vertical chrome lines, but only the circles around the grille.

Even with my CF Front grille, I used the OEM vertical chrome pieces to keep it looking somewhat classy and clean!
Look at my pics to better understand!
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 02:15 PM   #8
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedm3 View Post
Let me know if your gonna paint your stuff - you'll go to Collision Networks (the body shop who did mine) nice and cheap and you can choose if you want matte black or shiny.

Also, if you do the front grille, I HIGHLY recommend you dont do the vertical chrome lines, but only the circles around the grille.

Even with my CF Front grille, I used the OEM vertical chrome pieces to keep it looking somewhat classy and clean!
Look at my pics to better understand!
I've dealt with the boys at Collision Networks before. They fixed a small scuff on my rim and did a fantastic job. Definitely the best wheel repair guys in Toronto.

I can't really tell by your pics because they're pretty small but I get what you're saying. I would probably just keep my OEM grills and order the matte black ones just in case I didn't like it, I can always change it back.

BTW, Don at itint says "What's up!" I was in there a few days ago and told me about the little tint mod you did on your rear lights. Post some pics!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 02:26 PM   #9
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
I've dealt with the boys at Collision Networks before. They fixed a small scuff on my rim and did a fantastic job. Definitely the best wheel repair guys in Toronto.

I can't really tell by your pics because they're pretty small but I get what you're saying. I would probably just keep my OEM grills and order the matte black ones just in case I didn't like it, I can always change it back.

BTW, Don at itint says "What's up!" I was in there a few days ago and told me about the little tint mod you did on your rear lights. Post some pics!

Ya...CN has fixed a ton of wheels for people I've sent there. and they do a perfect job everytime. They are an even better body shop, their paint and repair work is unreal. haha , ya Don tinted the turn signal strip on the tails, but he did it for me when the car was brand new...he just had to fix one of them last week! its not a new mod, but ill post some pics of both the front grille to show you better!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 02:28 PM   #10
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Ya...CN has fixed a ton of wheels for people I've sent there. and they do a perfect job everytime. They are an even better body shop, their paint and repair work is unreal. haha , ya Don tinted the turn signal strip on the tails, but he did it for me when the car was brand new...he just had to fix one of them last week! its not a new mod, but ill post some pics of both the front grille to show you better!
Thank man!!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 02:31 PM   #11
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep

Heres a close up of the taillights....

Heres the closest one I could find of the front grille when I had it painted matte black!

One more....

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 02:34 PM   #12
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thank man!!
So what do you think?
You see what I mean by, it keeps the clean classy look of the grille that identifies our cars as BMWs
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 02:46 PM   #13
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

Quote:
So what do you think?
You see what I mean by, it keeps the clean classy look of the grille that identifies our cars as BMWs
I like the way that looks. Very classy indeed! I think that's what I'm gonna do. I think I remember another thread where one member kept the chrome vertical lines and just changed the ring around. Does it come in two pieces?

Your picture of the closeup kind of looks like the grill is actually CF.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 02:59 PM   #14
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I like the way that looks. Very classy indeed! I think that's what I'm gonna do. I think I remember another thread where one member kept the chrome vertical lines and just changed the ring around. Does it come in two pieces?

Your picture of the closeup kind of looks like the grill is actually CF.
Yes, its 2 pieces. So if CN takes apart your grille, they just leave the chrome inside (vertical lines) and they only spray the ugly chrome rings around it! and then they put it back together and pop it back into the car. and your good to go! I wouldn't bother ordering them online, just paint the ones you have!

Your right, I just realized that. I only had the matte black for a couple days, because I ended up ordering the CF Front grilles, which also came with a matte black inners, but I used the original stock inners (just like I did when I painted them originally @ CN)
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 05:27 PM   #15
moog55
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i went for matte black grilles, side vents plus blck/silver CF roundels (hood, trunk, steering wheel and wheel caps). it's looks sick on Space Gray (in my opinion).
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 06:53 PM   #16
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moog55 View Post
i went for matte black grilles, side vents plus blck/silver CF roundels (hood, trunk, steering wheel and wheel caps). it's looks sick on Space Gray (in my opinion).
Can you post some pics? I would love to see your car!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 07:13 PM   #17
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
I like gloss black painted surrounds with matte black slats for front grille, fully painted gloss black side grilles, and black / silver CF roundels, with the monochrome M badge in the back.
      01-19-2009, 07:39 PM   #18
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
I like gloss black painted surrounds with matte black slats for front grille, fully painted gloss black side grilles, and black / silver CF roundels, with the monochrome M badge in the back.
Does anyone sell the painted gloss side gills?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 08:30 PM   #19
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Does anyone sell the painted gloss side gills?
Just get your local body shop to paint it. I bought a set of new OEM grilles from Tischer for 130 bucks and asked my body shop to paint them black for me. That way when I go back to stock, I can just snap the originals back on.
      01-19-2009, 08:55 PM   #20
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Chrome
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 10:09 PM   #21
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC View Post
Chrome
That's what I thought too. So, I'm dechroming the exterior of my car.
      01-21-2009, 11:08 AM   #22
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

Thanks for all your inputs. I've just ordered the matte black grills, matte black side gills, and black rear M3 logo.

Will post pics as soon as the mods are on!

Your input was greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0