BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

04-29-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

My Akra Evo Review

After much deliberation, I finally decided to get the much celebrated Akra Evo system.

BIG THANKS goes out to Auto Couture Motoring for flawless installs, A+ customer service. Lalit, Tom, Rob, and Sal really have a true passion for these cars and it clearly shows in their work and expertise. Also, thanks to Sonic MS for the competitive pricing on the Akra, and forum members like Golffrr, Ortho281, FormulaMMM, Uber ///M3 for feedback on their Akra experiences.

Review

The Sound
In a word…Stupendous. The professional videos from Akra / EAS really do capture the sound accurately (sans cabin sound / effect). The overall sound is best described as refined, with a deep engineered howl-n-growl that melodically builds in octaves as revs rise. There’s slight tinge of rasp as the right moments and at blips at the beginning of each gear are particularly entertaining to hear. The duality of the exhaust is great since the car is a daily driver, it’s subtle with an exotic-burble when I want it to be, but at a flick of the ankle, the beastly V8 can howl with gusto (especially at the top of the rev – heavenly exotic sound - see clip).

The sounds are mostly whole with notes of burble crackle vs. crackling w/ lots of rasp (neither is better – comes down to your preference). The only good surprise was this exhaust was louder than I thought it would be, it’s actually pretty loud outside and there’s a deep growl in the cabin you can’t really capture in the videos , especially at the blips and low rpms.

Here's another video inside the car, but I do have an external mic set-up here.

Design / Look
Picture speaks for itself, and you can see the design, fit, and finish are perfect to a tee. There’s no inkling of something missing from looks or build quality. The tip adjustability is great and can be fine tuned for a non-diffuser, diffuser, and etc. car. Also, glad I went with Ti Tips for the contrast, but if I had an AW/light colored car, probably would of gone CF for similar reasons.

I’d love to lower the car one day, but admittedly enjoy the OEM duality of the EDC way too much Maybe I'll get some coils in the future.

The Power

Undeniable increase in hp/tq, and I came from an ESS Tune only set-up as a comparison. Net net, the car now lunges with even more urgency up to redline. I also feel the lower rpms are livelier starting from 3k. The ESS Tune certainly brings all the bolt-ons together very nicely!

On Track
On the track, the exhaust is even more in its element as you get to hear all the different octaves at varying revs. Laying down the power and tracking out of turns has noticeably been improved. My times that day were better ofcourse , but that could be a variety of factors really- maybe I was just “on it” that day.

While the exhaust is not inexpensive (although I paid well, well below MSRP), you do get what you pay for. The power, sound, looks, weight, and materials all came into play when I made the decision on the Akra, and it has definitely exceeded expectations.

Hope this helps others in their potential investment of the Akra Evo + ESS Tune.

Name:  IMG_20130414_090839.jpg
Views: 1121
Size:  215.9 KB

After several track days, the tips inside turn blue - pretty cool!

Name:  IMG_20130630_120454.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  87.2 KB

Last edited by S65V8; 07-04-2013 at 08:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #2
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Nice. But no carbon fibre tips. .
Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriskm3 View Post
Thanks bro, but on a black car, it wasn't working for me. Way too hidden. Plus Titanium is more bad ass of a material than CF IMHO
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
i like the originals better.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 06:46 PM   #5
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

I'm interested in Sound differences between Evo and gt 4 akra. Have you heard it in real life by any chance
Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #6
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red

Nice !!! Got the Akra muffler on the way. Debating doing the mid pipe as well. Had it on my old m3. Great exhaust!

Also mine is coming with cf tips. I think the titanium is bad ass and a cooler material as well btw.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 06:53 PM   #7
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD View Post
Nice !!! Got the Akra muffler on the way. Debating doing the mid pipe as well. Had it on my old m3. Great exhaust!

Also mine is coming with cf tips. I think the titanium is bad ass and a cooler material as well btw.
Thx! and I would have gone CF like you with a AW car for sure, you can't beat that bad ass contrast. You're going to love the Akra set-up without a doubt
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 09:39 PM   #8
Mmmdreamer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3 Jet Black

Need to hear this sucka in person! Just because F1 didn't come to NJ doesn't mean we can't use those roads =) Battle of the ESS + Full Exhausts haha
[08 e90 M3. Jet Black/Black. Dinan Rear Exhaust. ACM Test Pipes. ESS Tune. Eibach Pro-Kit + e36 bumpstops. 18x10 Apex Arc-8. AA Air Filter. RPI Scoops. CREE Angel Eyes. OEM Blacklines. Black Reflectors. Gloss Black Grills. Matte Black Gills. ZCP Shift Knob]
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 10:44 PM   #9
Peahi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 CPE

MONSTER WFO sound!!! Love your video! Post up more if you have some. This is better than the price discussion threads..... Evo is beastly. I'm not big fan of the akra exhaust videos usually (just my taste, no offense to everyone), but yours definitely the business going full tilt. I'm a believer now! I think the problem is too many of our videos are of a car sitting with the parking brake on with someone tapping the gas a few times....it's good to hear the roar under full load.

Keep up the nice work!
      04-29-2013, 11:27 PM   #10
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
sounds good buddy
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 08:33 AM   #11
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Sounds awesome, louder than I thought it was going to be actually (in a good way, I'm all about louder exhausts). And +1 on Tiag tips, way better than CF I think! Beautiful car.

If I remember correctly, yours is an 08 right?
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #12
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Nice review! Love the fly by video.

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #13
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm interested in Sound differences between Evo and gt 4 akra. Have you heard it in real life by any chance
I have, too loud for my tastes and intended use. Do a search, you'll find some example vids for sure here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peahi View Post
MONSTER WFO sound!!! Love your video! Post up more if you have some. This is better than the price discussion threads..... Evo is beastly. I'm not big fan of the akra exhaust videos usually (just my taste, no offense to everyone), but yours definitely the business going full tilt. I'm a believer now! I think the problem is too many of our videos are of a car sitting with the parking brake on with someone tapping the gas a few times....it's good to hear the roar under full load.

Keep up the nice work!
Thanks! true on vid examples, very few have it warmed up and ready to roar or have it roaring down a strip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Sounds awesome, louder than I thought it was going to be actually (in a good way, I'm all about louder exhausts). And +1 on Tiag tips, way better than CF I think! Beautiful car.

If I remember correctly, yours is an 08 right?
Thanks! I had an '08 and loved that car. Sold her and got a new one w/ ZCP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Nice review! Love the fly by video.
Thanks bro, and for the advice you gave on the Akra, much appreciated.

Last edited by S65V8; 05-17-2013 at 06:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 02:59 PM   #14
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

well played as you know I am think the Akra Evo is the best all around set up! congrats again buddy and enjoy!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #15
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Great write-up, such a sublime exhaust. Great to hear it flat out at the track.
      05-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #16
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
well played as you know I am think the Akra Evo is the best all around set up! congrats again buddy and enjoy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
Great write-up, such a sublime exhaust. Great to hear it flat out at the track.
Thanks! It's been a great set-up thus far and it certainly has me driving the "long way" to every destination, there's nothing like the Akrapovic exhaust wail at 8,600 rpm in a tunnel or driving near walled stretch of highway. Just plain heaven.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #17
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD

I must hear yours in person when you get it!
Appreciate 0