BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

06-10-2011, 09:03 PM   #45
M3DCTBT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Actually the problem is you and your inability to read or draw connnections, and whatever agenda you may have for OE.

Heres your 340whp link overlayed on the same dyno - verified by Robert.

12% higher means your operator is fucking around. We regularly go between this and boston dyno's dynojet and are +5/-5. Robert agrees with me here, is what I'm saying. There's no skewing going on. In fact when you go in the file you will see that the correction factor for all the runs was 1.0 and the gear ratio and ramps were perfect.

My car doesnt have primary cats, try again.

Robert will tell you himself headers and custom tuning was the difference between those dynos. In fact add your 12% argument and the car would be 468~whp on the DP.

Notice all the top bolt on cars have one thing in common

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
Don't try to put this on Robert, the problem is the Dynapack. If you have a baseline at ~340whp, link it, I'd love to see it (I searched on your username in the dynobase and couldn't find it.) My S2000 dyno'd a full 12% higher on a Dynapack than a dynojet, same thing with my Evo X. It's fun to say my car was 240rwhp and 380awhp, but it doesn't mean it's true or comparable.

You'll notice that no NA, non-stroker Dynojet results are over 400whp. I know you like to think that Jeremy magically got more power out of your car than anyone else has gotten, but that doesn't mean it's true. According to your mod list you still have primary cats in place, which means either OE tuning is magically making more power than anyone else with those mods by a huge margin... which is possible, but highly unlikely, or something else is going on.

You'll also notice that Pencilgeek himself made 409 and 418rwhp on a dynojet, and 424 and 448rwhp on a dynapack. Yes, the tune changed, between them... but yeah.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 09:50 PM   #46
Dodge2Dub
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3; Ducati

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3DCTBT View Post
No actually you won't. I have yet to see an off the shelf file crest 400. Custom Tuning by a good tuner and X pipe design/front cat delete means everything when it comes to numbers. The tunes were done custom by OE - all the top 4 N/A bolt on car dyno database files were done by OE.
So my mods with an OE tune will have me in the 116/117 mph range on the quarter???
      06-10-2011, 10:12 PM   #47
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

Quote:

Heres your 340whp link overlayed on the same dyno - verified by Robert.

12% higher means your operator is fucking around. We regularly go between this and boston dyno's dynojet and are 5/-5. Robert agrees with me here, is what I'm saying. There's no skewing going on. In fact when you go in the file you will see that the correction factor for all the runs was 1.0 and the gear ratio and ramps were perfect.
My car doesnt have primary cats, try again.
Might want to correct that in the database, although it doesn't sound like you care about accuracy. Not sure why "verified by Robert" means anything except that the files indeed came from a dynapack, he wasn't there for the dyno.

There are no logs of IATs, no coolant temps, etc. I got 20whp on a dynojet by cooling down my intake manifold. Weather/correction factor/etc are all the same.

Quote:

Robert will tell you himself headers and custom tuning was the difference between those dynos. In fact add your 12% argument and the car would be 468~whp on the DP.

Notice all the top bolt on cars have one thing in common
Yeah, the top 2 in the dyno database have bullshit dynos

You can go right ahead thinking your results are awesome, post some vbox 60-130 runs to back up your numbers. I'd love to see them.

To be honest, your charts look way better than anything I have seen from OE tuning. I've seen the horrible things that have come out of socal and those are just embarrassing. No agenda, just not a fan of bullshit. In all honesty, a 60whp gain is not out of the realm of possibility, I just think comparing absolute numbers is quite silly. I mean, my car gained 45rwhp on a dynojet, with high flow cats, a dinan tune and an air filter, so catless and a pulley could certainly add up to 60 in total.

Post the vbox runs and we can all back up your claims, rather than depending on some guy who didn't see your car get dyno'd who verified it by checking the correction factor.

DSC_3369 by Kit W, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 10:52 PM   #48
alpine335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3 6MT, 08 e90 328xi

Keep up the good work Bren, me and JJ want to take a ride up one of these days. Maybe when his M gets shipped out here. We have a few tunes jero sent us for my car, got to get it on a dyno soon.
      06-11-2011, 03:22 AM   #49
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

Just had a long email with Robert and it appears that there is some confusion as to the correction types in the dyno db and some incorrect results. Let's wait for those and then see

If I am wrong, I'll happily admit it and apologize. I am not going to e-thug it up.

DSC_3369 by Kit W, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 03:47 AM   #50
E90///M3`
Major General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [7.60]
subbed
:Videos: EnvyRidesTV, GPR 1, GPR 2, GPR 3, ///MFEST
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 12:26 PM   #51
erm324
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge2Dub View Post
So my mods with an OE tune will have me in the 116/117 mph range on the quarter???
Depends on your set-up. Me and Bren have essentially the same mods and were both DCT. No 6MT N/A M3 will trap 117-118 in the 1/4, but if your DCT with a full catless setup and a custom dynotune with the proper bolt-ons a 12 flat or even sub 12 at these trap speeds is do-able with good weather, conditions, track prep, and ABOVE all traction.

I have no reason to doubt Brens OETuning results....I highly recommend OETuning - on the same dyno I had my car done I personally saw a car dyno lower with an ESS tune. Yet again, it was a different day with different conditions etc, but I would expect to at least see some gain. And yeah, the results may be seem high on his dyno (400+whp), but I put down 383 on a dynojet in 85 degree weather with severe heatsoak, terrible fan, etc... In better conditions I have no doubt I am around 400whp - it is most definetly believeable

FWIW I've pulled cars a M3 DCT running a full akrapovic exhaust and "ess akrapovic tune" with filter and pullies......that has to speak for itself...
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 10:36 PM   #52
Dodge2Dub
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3; Ducati

Quote:
Originally Posted by erm324 View Post
Depends on your set-up. Me and Bren have essentially the same mods and were both DCT. No 6MT N/A M3 will trap 117-118 in the 1/4, but if your DCT with a full catless setup and a custom dynotune with the proper bolt-ons a 12 flat or even sub 12 at these trap speeds is do-able with good weather, conditions, track prep, and ABOVE all traction.

I have no reason to doubt Brens OETuning results....I highly recommend OETuning - on the same dyno I had my car done I personally saw a car dyno lower with an ESS tune. Yet again, it was a different day with different conditions etc, but I would expect to at least see some gain. And yeah, the results may be seem high on his dyno (400+whp), but I put down 383 on a dynojet in 85 degree weather with severe heatsoak, terrible fan, etc... In better conditions I have no doubt I am around 400whp - it is most definetly believeable

FWIW I've pulled cars a M3 DCT running a full akrapovic exhaust and "ess akrapovic tune" with filter and pullies......that has to speak for itself...
So, what are the "proper" bolt-ons, assuming that we are starting with a DCT and go the OE Tuning route? Personally, I have a Turner pulley, MS panel filter, RPI scoops and an RPI full catless system.
      06-12-2011, 11:24 AM   #53
erm324
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

^Your good, just need that custom tune. I am not familiar with the RPI full exhaust system, meaning in regards to how much power it makes. I know some x-pipes and exhaust systems will give more whp than others (with the full gintani catless being at the top, or one of the top, providers of whp). All the air filters are essentially the same, so cant really go wrong there. And pullies are pretty much the same as well in regards to whp gained. With a tune you should really be putting down some nice power.

FWIW my mods include: full gintani catless exhaust, rpi scoops, ms filter, ms pulley, oetuning dynotune....im probably going to get the dinan intake/cp, seems to flow a little better but hasnt been proven on the dyno so who knows.

hope this helps
Appreciate 0