BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

05-21-2010, 07:46 PM   #1
henryyxyu
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: YXZ

Dinan warranty question?

So lets say my warranty is about to expire after about 3.5 years and I decided to get a Dinan package, does my warranty get extended for another 4 years / 50,000 miles?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 08:10 PM   #2
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
No.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 08:21 PM   #3
Slpnbyu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2023 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [0.00]
No, Dinan warranty mirrors original BMW warranty period.
/// '04 E46 M3 : Mystic Blue/Black /// SOLD
/// '00 E46 323Ci : Titanium Silver/Grey /// SOLD
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 08:21 PM   #4
FredVMI
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryyxyu View Post
So lets say my warranty is about to expire after about 3.5 years and I decided to get a Dinan package, does my warranty get extended for another 4 years / 50,000 miles?
No. Dinan only matches the factory 4/50 warranty. This applies regardless or where you are in the factory warranty coverage. However, the out-of-warranty coverage by Dinan is 2/unlimited. So, using your example of making a purchase at the 3.5 year point in the factory warranty (and assuming you're not beyond the 50k miles), Dinan would cover the remaining 6 months on the factory warranty and then revert to the 2/unlimited for the balance. Regardless of the scenario (including buying an extended warranty from BMW), Dinan will not provide warranty coverage beyond the 4/50 or the 2/unlimited.

Just for the record, I am not an employee of Dinan. However, I have been researching several Dinan mods for my car and have already inquired about warranty coverage from my local Dinan dealer. The info I shared is what was communicated to me. Please refer to the following link for more details. Good luck!

http://www.dinancars.com/bmw/warranty

Past: E30 M3 /// E28 M5 /// E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 06:26 PM   #5
ASU
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredVMI View Post
No. Dinan only matches the factory 4/50 warranty. This applies regardless or where you are in the factory warranty coverage. However, the out-of-warranty coverage by Dinan is 2/unlimited. So, using your example of making a purchase at the 3.5 year point in the factory warranty (and assuming you're not beyond the 50k miles), Dinan would cover the remaining 6 months on the factory warranty and then revert to the 2/unlimited for the balance. Regardless of the scenario (including buying an extended warranty from BMW), Dinan will not provide warranty coverage beyond the 4/50 or the 2/unlimited.

Just for the record, I am not an employee of Dinan. However, I have been researching several Dinan mods for my car and have already inquired about warranty coverage from my local Dinan dealer. The info I shared is what was communicated to me. Please refer to the following link for more details. Good luck!

I have been researching DINAN as well and agree. I would be interested in your thinking on DINAN. I have been looking at the the software tune, crank shaft pulley, CF Intake and possibly the exhaust. I am looking for increased power and drivability. This issue with DINAN is they are conservative on their tune but I prefer the matched warranty. As for the exhaust I am not sure its worth the money based on my objectives. If I was looking for better sound (I am but not for $2500) and I am not sure I fancy the tips.

However, AA and/or Power Chip seem to be much more aggressive on the power at a better price. The issue is the on the remote chance something goes wrong, the warranty is in question.

Your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 10:54 PM   #6
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

this is my 3rd Dinan car and i have nothing but pleasure with all of them. i had Dinan S2 E46 M3 and a Dinan S2 E39 M5 and now i have there E92 M3 and love it. the sound from the midpipe and muffler combo is amazing and the power increase was awesome. my fav mod so far. i am breaking in the diff now and lovin it so after the 1200 miles i am sure it will get better when i can take her past 5k rpm

as for there warranty and products i have nothing but praise. i rarely ever had problems and when i did they took care of it right away and some times it was out of warranty and they covered it anyway. i had high miles too 80k on my M5 and 70k on my M3 and now 20k on my E92 M and no isssues at all. great products.

i love there software even though it is conservative, i have never had one issue ever on any of my cars and BMW never voided my warranty on any of my cars and they knew the software was in there. Dinan has a great relationship with BMW. i also love how when the idiot dealer flashes my car back to stock i just drive over to Dinan and they put my software back in for free

def on my E92 the midpipe and software was my fav mod. sounds sick and best part no drone at all ever. loud only when you want it to be. below 4k is a nice deeper tone and then once above 4k it sounds exotic all the way to redline.

they have 20% off right now on some things till end of may. i am grabbing the susp while it is on sale i heard great things about there stage 1 susp set up

Last edited by H Bomb; 05-22-2010 at 11:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 11:07 PM   #7
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

in short to answer your question, unless you are cool with your SA then kiss your warranty goodbye and your car will be flagged. happened to one of the mods here with a different companies software. that is why i got the Dinan and my car has been to the dealer 2 times now and they know it is in there and my warranty is fine everything was covered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU View Post
I have been researching DINAN as well and agree. I would be interested in your thinking on DINAN. I have been looking at the the software tune, crank shaft pulley, CF Intake and possibly the exhaust. I am looking for increased power and drivability. This issue with DINAN is they are conservative on their tune but I prefer the matched warranty. As for the exhaust I am not sure its worth the money based on my objectives. If I was looking for better sound (I am but not for $2500) and I am not sure I fancy the tips.

However, AA and/or Power Chip seem to be much more aggressive on the power at a better price. The issue is the on the remote chance something goes wrong, the warranty is in question.

Your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 10:26 PM   #8
ASU
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
in short to answer your question, unless you are cool with your SA then kiss your warranty goodbye and your car will be flagged. happened to one of the mods here with a different companies software. that is why i got the Dinan and my car has been to the dealer 2 times now and they know it is in there and my warranty is fine everything was covered
Thanks for the details. Quite helpful. I hadn't considered the mid pipe. I am off to Dinan next week for a run down. As well, they just did up a 2011 M3 E92 DINAN demo.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 11:06 PM   #9
ASU
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
this is my 3rd Dinan car and i have nothing but pleasure with all of them. i had Dinan S2 E46 M3 and a Dinan S2 E39 M5 and now i have there E92 M3 and love it. the sound from the midpipe and muffler combo is amazing and the power increase was awesome. my fav mod so far. i am breaking in the diff now and lovin it so after the 1200 miles i am sure it will get better when i can take her past 5k rpm

as for there warranty and products i have nothing but praise. i rarely ever had problems and when i did they took care of it right away and some times it was out of warranty and they covered it anyway. i had high miles too 80k on my M5 and 70k on my M3 and now 20k on my E92 M and no isssues at all. great products.

i love there software even though it is conservative, i have never had one issue ever on any of my cars and BMW never voided my warranty on any of my cars and they knew the software was in there. Dinan has a great relationship with BMW. i also love how when the idiot dealer flashes my car back to stock i just drive over to Dinan and they put my software back in for free

def on my E92 the midpipe and software was my fav mod. sounds sick and best part no drone at all ever. loud only when you want it to be. below 4k is a nice deeper tone and then once above 4k it sounds exotic all the way to redline.

they have 20% off right now on some things till end of may. i am grabbing the susp while it is on sale i heard great things about there stage 1 susp set up
Are you speaking of the High Flow Middle Racing Exhaust?
Product Number: R660-0031

I am assuming not given it isnt' street legal as far as I know. However, this was the only DINAN midpipe exhaust I could find from DINAN. Can you point me in the right direction if I missed it.

Tks,
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 01:58 AM   #10
Cab5er
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3 (Sold) 13 A1

Nice try buddy. People would pay even more for dinan if that's the case they'd take over if they did that.

E90 ///M3/ AW/ Fox Red
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 07:55 AM   #11
ASU
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cab5er View Post
Nice try buddy. People would pay even more for dinan if that's the case they'd take over if they did that.
You lost me, what's that mean?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 10:58 AM   #12
scott@bmwhn
Major
Rep
Drives: Msport X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredVMI View Post

Nailed it.

Previous: 20' X3 M40i, 19' 740i Msport, 17' 430i GC, 15' Msport X3 28i, 15' Sportline X1 28i, 13' Msport 328i, 09' Msport 335i, 07' Msport 335i
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 12:53 PM   #13
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

yes that is the one, i know it shows no warranty, that would be the only part i believe. when i bought mine though it had a 2 year warranty on racing products they have since taken it off. i would have gotten it anyway just bc of how they have treated me when stuff was out of warranty i know they would help in the event something happened

but to each there own, i am sure the dinan haters who have never owned anything from them will chime in soon and say how they will ditch you and this and that. just bs but everyone has there own op

Quote:
Are you speaking of the High Flow Middle Racing Exhaust?
Product Number: R660-0031

I am assuming not given it isnt' street legal as far as I know. However, this was the only DINAN midpipe exhaust I could find from DINAN. Can you point me in the right direction if I missed it.

Tks,
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 12:58 PM   #14
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

who and what are you reffering to?? if it was to me and to anything i said well i have no reason to lie and if it is about the software well you can call the dealer that serviced my car then if you don't believe it and see if my warranty is voided. and that was with a catless midpipe and software even

just bc other companies software voids peoples warranty at BMW doesn't mean you have to be negative. note i didn't mention any companies bc i don't know which ones do what but i do know of several cars being voided and flagged from other software companies and even a mod here who even made a thread about it

so please explain your statement for us eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cab5er View Post
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 04:30 PM   #15
ASU
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
yes that is the one, i know it shows no warranty, that would be the only part i believe. when i bought mine though it had a 2 year warranty on racing products they have since taken it off. i would have gotten it anyway just bc of how they have treated me when stuff was out of warranty i know they would help in the event something happened

but to each there own, i am sure the dinan haters who have never owned anything from them will chime in soon and say how they will ditch you and this and that. just bs but everyone has there own op
Thanks again. I am sure there has to be some warranty (just re-read it and for sure they only warrant workmanship - basic issue of emmissions) but what I was wrestling with was whether it was legal to drive with it? In Canada with have similar laws as in California, as such, they are very hard on offenders if they are caught. Normally BMW and such DINAN by association would not install or sell products that would not pass for street use unless I would expect a waiver would have to be signed.

Are you able to tell me if this is an issue for you or did the mid pipe exhaust in fact pass for street use? For me, I would go for the mid pipe for sure with the stated HP gains on the mid pipe versus the Free Flow is substantial with the mid pipe rated at 23 HP gain and the Free Flow is rated at 6 HP gain. No comparison. The fact is I would and I am having a hard time justifying $2400 for 6 HP and a little nicer sounding exhaust.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 09:38 PM   #16
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

it actually stated for racing only on there bf when i got it but maybe they have changed it i haven't looked

i have FL plates so that is how i get away with the no cats for street use bc down there is no inspection for cars so pretty much anything flies down there.

as for the power it is def sweet and so much of a difference then just the rear section like you said. this was the best mod for me so far in terms of power,sound, and overall satisfaction. i may have to get NY plates soon then i am gonna have to figure something out bc i am not sure if i can get away with no cats for the inspection up here

if you can't get this one bc of the laws check out the Akra midpipe, it makes about the same power i believe but has cats. not sure if it will sound the same but a member on here has the akra mid and rear but with a Dinan tune and he loves it and said it sounds great. Stalker is the member and he is up near you so maybe he can tell you what you can get away with law wise and if you guys are close maybe you can listen to it

Quote:
Thanks again. I am sure there has to be some warranty (just re-read it and for sure they only warrant workmanship - basic issue of emmissions) but what I was wrestling with was whether it was legal to drive with it? In Canada with have similar laws as in California, as such, they are very hard on offenders if they are caught. Normally BMW and such DINAN by association would not install or sell products that would not pass for street use unless I would expect a waiver would have to be signed.

Are you able to tell me if this is an issue for you or did the mid pipe exhaust in fact pass for street use? For me, I would go for the mid pipe for sure with the stated HP gains on the mid pipe versus the Free Flow is substantial with the mid pipe rated at 23 HP gain and the Free Flow is rated at 6 HP gain. No comparison. The fact is I would and I am having a hard time justifying $2400 for 6 HP and a little nicer sounding exhaust.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 10:45 PM   #17
ASU
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
it actually stated for racing only on there bf when i got it but maybe they have changed it i haven't looked

i have FL plates so that is how i get away with the no cats for street use bc down there is no inspection for cars so pretty much anything flies down there.

as for the power it is def sweet and so much of a difference then just the rear section like you said. this was the best mod for me so far in terms of power,sound, and overall satisfaction. i may have to get NY plates soon then i am gonna have to figure something out bc i am not sure if i can get away with no cats for the inspection up here

if you can't get this one bc of the laws check out the Akra midpipe, it makes about the same power i believe but has cats. not sure if it will sound the same but a member on here has the akra mid and rear but with a Dinan tune and he loves it and said it sounds great. Stalker is the member and he is up near you so maybe he can tell you what you can get away with law wise and if you guys are close maybe you can listen to it
Went to DINAN today and drove a stock M3 E93 and then their recently landed DEMO 2011 M3 E93 with pully, intake, software and exhaust with the racing pipes. Absolutely loved the sound of the exhaust and intake combination. However, for my DD I think the racing pipes are just a little two loud for me. However, I liked them more after the 15 minute drive then I did when I first heard them suggesting I would love them most of the time. Even though I think I will skip the racing pipes.

If I wasn't so concerned about the impact on warranty overall I think I would go with PowerChip software and AA for the rest just for the added HP and I did quite like their signature exhaust. Alas I am not quite ready to go it potentially alone.

My 2011 M3 will be ready for pick up in about two weeks and I will start the mods in August.

Thanks for your help input.

Last edited by ASU; 05-26-2010 at 11:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 11:19 PM   #18
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

anytime enjoy your new ride

just so you know my car is my daily and the midpipe doesn't bother me at all. it doesn't drone inside the car and if your just normal driving it is not loud at all. i talk on the phone with customers etc and they hear me fine. it is only loud when you want it to be

glad you got to hear it in person bc vids do no justice for it
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #19
dgjones13
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

[QUOTE=H Bomb;7376126]it actually stated for racing only on there bf when i got it but maybe they have changed it i haven't looked

I know this is a very old thread but I'll give it a shot anyway. I am interested to know if you ever did get your M3 to pass NY emissions and if so, how? I also have a 2008 M3 with a full Dinan exhaust. It was no problem for road driving in Michigan (no emissions). I now live in PA and don't want to have to take the middle exhaust off to pass emissions (as you said it's the best part). Would a O2 simulator work with the Dinan software? I'm not sure if the Dinan racing software turns off the rear O2s completely or not.
Appreciate 0