BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

05-02-2010, 09:44 PM   #1
Fen335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 / X5d / Z4 M Roadster

Dinan midpipe + Dinan rear section volume at idle

If H-Bomb or someone that has the full Dinan exhaust setup can anwer this, I'd appreciate it.

I have the Dinan rear section right now and am deciding between the Fabspeed xpipe w/HFC's or the Dinan midpipe (catless). Curious to know how much louder the car is with either setup vs just the rear Dinan section.

Is it a lot louder at idle? From what I've read, the Dinan midpipe makes the car really come alive volume wise once you get above 35000 rpm...but what is it volume wise at idle? Is it significantly louder than just the Dinan rear section, or about the same?

Also, if anyone has the Fabspeed xpipe w/HFC's paired with the Dinan rear mufflers, I'd appreciate feedback on that as well.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 12:12 AM   #2
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

It's ALOT louder at the idle but calms down in a minute of so.
And very first time when you install midpipe, you'll feel a lot louder volume and smell but you'll get used to it. Inside of cabin volume will increase a bit but not much. It's not annoying level (I can't stand really loud cars personally-at least for DD).
Dinan midpipe gave me the most power (out of all the mods I have) and amazing sound. Lovin it.

PAST: F80 M3 ZCP | 911.1 C2S | F10 M5 ZCP | E70 X5M | E90 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 12:20 AM   #3
Alekshop
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 l E46 M3 l GT4 l 991 RS

It is louder when the car is cold. Once it warms up, it is pretty much the same sound level as the stock system.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 12:37 AM   #4
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

for me when i added the midpipe it was only louder above 4k when getting on it. at cruising no louder then with the rear section.

at start up idle i wouldn't say ALOT louder like that, just little louder but then quiets down to reg in a little bit

it is only loud when you want it to be so if noise is an issue it wouldn't be with the midpipe bc you can control when you want it to be loud.

you can listen to my vids if you want to hear in cabin noise when cruising and when getting on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fen335i View Post
If H-Bomb or someone that has the full Dinan exhaust setup can anwer this, I'd appreciate it.

I have the Dinan rear section right now and am deciding between the Fabspeed xpipe w/HFC's or the Dinan midpipe (catless). Curious to know how much louder the car is with either setup vs just the rear Dinan section.

Is it a lot louder at idle? From what I've read, the Dinan midpipe makes the car really come alive volume wise once you get above 35000 rpm...but what is it volume wise at idle? Is it significantly louder than just the Dinan rear section, or about the same?

Also, if anyone has the Fabspeed xpipe w/HFC's paired with the Dinan rear mufflers, I'd appreciate feedback on that as well.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 08:09 AM   #5
ranger22
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fen335i View Post

Thanks
Since my car is still in the break-in, I have only had it up to 35000RPM once. Even with the stock exhaust, at that RPM it REALLY opened up. Literally.

Ok, sorry. That was tasteless and off topic, but I had to do it. Its Monday morning and I'm pissed to be headed to work.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 01:22 PM   #6
Fen335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 / X5d / Z4 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by isugoo View Post
It's ALOT louder at the idle but calms down in a minute of so.
And very first time when you install midpipe, you'll feel a lot louder volume and smell but you'll get used to it. Inside of cabin volume will increase a bit but not much. It's not annoying level (I can't stand really loud cars personally-at least for DD).
Dinan midpipe gave me the most power (out of all the mods I have) and amazing sound. Lovin it.
Thanks for the input. I was hoping for just a bit more volume when idling...sounds like there is a slight increase in volume, but not so much that it's obnxoxious

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
for me when i added the midpipe it was only louder above 4k when getting on it. at cruising no louder then with the rear section.

at start up idle i wouldn't say ALOT louder like that, just little louder but then quiets down to reg in a little bit

it is only loud when you want it to be so if noise is an issue it wouldn't be with the midpipe bc you can control when you want it to be loud.

you can listen to my vids if you want to hear in cabin noise when cruising and when getting on it
Thanks H-Bomb...sounds like a great mod. Just can't decide if I want to go cat-less (aka Dinan) or go with HFC's...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 03:11 PM   #7
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

no prob anytime. if you don't need cats by law then me personally i would go with the Dinan. the smell is not bad at all in my op and the power increase was awesome and the sound is just amazing. i have yet to pull in somewhere and someone not tell me how sick the car sounds so i know it is just not me favoring my set up over something else

best part is, there is no drone and it is quiet when i want it to be
Appreciate 0