BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

11-03-2012, 06:00 AM   #661
GIdriver
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63 AMG-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Is this DCT update automatically done, or do we need to complain about something?

Intrested to know as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 06:38 AM   #662
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Just had it done. Nice cheap update. Good throttle response. Quiter cold start. CAr seems to be more responsive Throughout the rpm range. Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 10:04 PM   #663
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Got the car back from the dealer, all updated with the latest ECU SW and DSC SW. From the first hundred yards after some nice oversteer out of the dealer lot, I could tell the car was faster, better, more responsive.

They did this update to fix a SES with a throttle valve actuator error code. I wonder if it's the same type of trouble that has seen a few forum members replace the throttle actuators, at $800 a pop. If BMW thinks they can cure this with SW, it may be a cheaper alternative.

If you have the chance to get this update, based on my experience i say don't hesitate.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 10:39 PM   #664
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Lyubm
I wonder if ESS have updated tune for 240E
Yes they do, mine was done today. I updated the at last week and drove it a few days with stock software. I was out of town and didn't get a chance to update the ESS software until today. Definitely feeling much better now, I have the Akra specific tune and a drop in filter. I almost switched to the BPM software, but I can reload the ESS for no cost. That makes it an easy decision, though after reading this thread I still may let Mike tune my car in the spring. It's about to be stored for the winter...
Great info Mike, you definitely know your stuff!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #665
RBB
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Got the car back from the dealer, all updated with the latest ECU SW and DSC SW. From the first hundred yards after some nice oversteer out of the dealer lot, I could tell the car was faster, better, more responsive.

They did this update to fix a SES with a throttle valve actuator error code. I wonder if it's the same type of trouble that has seen a few forum members replace the throttle actuators, at $800 a pop. If BMW thinks they can cure this with SW, it may be a cheaper alternative.

If you have the chance to get this update, based on my experience i say don't hesitate.
They tried that with me over the summer. I had a SES related to the throttle actuator. Dealer insisted on updating the software first because they claimed it had cleared up the same issue in some cases. All was well for about 5 days after the update, but the car started throwing the same code again and I had to go in for the replacement.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 01:02 AM   #666
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw135er View Post
Yes they do, mine was done today. I updated the at last week and drove it a few days with stock software. I was out of town and didn't get a chance to update the ESS software until today. Definitely feeling much better now, I have the Akra specific tune and a drop in filter. I almost switched to the BPM software, but I can reload the ESS for no cost. That makes it an easy decision, though after reading this thread I still may let Mike tune my car in the spring. It's about to be stored for the winter...
Great info Mike, you definitely know your stuff!
Thank you... If you do decide to go with it, you will love it. It's a world of difference. Many cables have been shipping so hopefully we see some reviews on it here. All previous customers please contact me for a free update to 240E.

Thanks
Mike

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #667
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo
Thank you... If you do decide to go with it, you will love it. It's a world of difference. Many cables have been shipping so hopefully we see some reviews on it here. All previous customers please contact me for a free update to 240E.

Thanks
Mike
Shoot me a PM with some details and I'll consider it. I know you're busy and I'm not in a huge rush. I'm curious what to expect in terms of drivability differences vs the ESS tune I currently have.
I'm in Colorado and won't be driving the car over the winter. I also have a couple friends that will be looking to do some mods in the spring so maybe I can persuade them your way as well.
Thanks in advance Mike!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #668
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

Guys,

I have a 2011 E90 and guess what-no 231E, 240E or 240EE. In the interest of keeping this simple, what software update should I be asking my stealer for ?

Is it E89X-12-07-507? Hope an expert can chime in. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #669
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate
Guys,

I have a 2011 E90 and guess what-no 231E, 240E or 240EE. In the interest of keeping this simple, what software update should I be asking my stealer for ?

Is it E89X-12-07-507? Hope an expert can chime in. Thanks!
That corresponds to ISTA/P 2.47, which is the current version until this week. Which means you have 240E. I also believe you misspoke and meant dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #670
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep

Its crazy-having talked to two local dealers-their prices vary from $220-$335 for the software update. They also advised against doing it unless there is a problem with the car. They gave me a lengthy disclaimer as to the 'side effects' from updating the software which could result in a number of errors.

Wondering what my options are....feel free to advise peeps.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #671
THE TECH
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
Its crazy-having talked to two local dealers-their prices vary from $220-$335. Highway robbery? I think so...
You have to remember than when a dealer does the work, they HAVE to update the whole car. They don't get to pick and choose what items get updated. This can mean several hours of labor.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #672
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Its crazy-having talked to two local dealers-their prices vary from $220-$335 for the software update. They also advised against doing it unless there is a problem with the car. They gave me a lengthy disclaimer as to the 'side effects' from updating the software which could result in a number of errors.

My understanding is that it can take up to six hours if it has been a long time since the car was updated. The longer it's been since the last update the more modules will likely need to be updated. That price is 2 to 3 hours labor which is not bad IMO.
      11-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #673
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:

IMHO: That money can easily be put towards the ESS E-Flash - with an overall result of 240E and the benefits of a performance flash.

Simply weigh your options, let me know if you want to go the ESS route.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 01:11 PM   #674
faith&firepower
Granny Shifting, Not Double Clutching Like You
San Marino
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

I dropped my E90 off yesterday, and they were still flashing a few hours before COB. I haven't heard anything back today yet, but at least I have a nice new X3 to bop around in......I wonder how my german shepherd would like a ride
      11-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #675
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep

I wasn't expecting to pay more than $150 considering the feedback received on this thread and other forums. Having talked to a BMW tech-he advised that the update should not take more than 1.5hrs.

**Update-I negotiated the software update at the dealer for the price point I can live with. That being said, will this void my warranty even if my car does not need it at this juncture?

Last edited by checkmate; 11-13-2012 at 02:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #676
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Quote:
I wasn't expecting to pay more than $150 considering the feedback received on this thread and other forums. Having talked to a BMW tech-he advised that the update should not take more than 1.5hrs.

**Update-I negotiated the software update at the dealer for the price point I can live with. That being said, will this void my warranty even if my car does not need it at this juncture?
My dealer said it will void the modules warranty, as it is a customer directed update and not a required one by BMW, should the modules break/burn up during the updating process.
      11-13-2012, 03:42 PM   #677
Dynamico
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M4 Kith Frozen Black

I just took the car in for maintenance and to check spark plugs cause I have 39k miles and they have never been changed, I also told the SA about the shifting lag from 2nd to 3rd and the downshifting problem.

Anyway he says that it will never go away, so I asked about the software and if they can upgrade it and he says they will check that when the car is in. I gave the SA a call to see how everything was going and asked him about the Software and if anything was looking into it. He responded saying yeah urs is up to date, that there is only one newer version but its for newer m3 models that mine doesn't accept it, and he also said "I think it has like 4.1 or something". Oh and he also said that a light will come on specifying that the spark plugs need to be changed, that it is not based on miles.

How can I get an actual paper saying what software version I have? Because I don't want to think he is telling me they checked, but in reality they didn't do anything...

I gotta pick up the M tomorrow cause they are changing the break caliper sensor, so I want to make sure I can call him before they are actually done with the car and clear everything up. Thanks in advance guys!!
      11-13-2012, 03:59 PM   #678
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Your spark plug replacements are linked to every third oil service, along with your differential and transmission fluid changes provided you do not have DCT. DCT fluid is lifetime/100k.
You can ask them what the integration level (i-level) your car is and that can be cross-referenced as to which programming version your car has. It can be read out of your key and should be attached to your work order as well. Take checkmate's i-level above and the corresponding version I posted for it as an example.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #679
Dynamico
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M4 Kith Frozen Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw135er View Post
Your spark plug replacements are linked to every third oil service, along with your differential and transmission fluid changes provided you do not have DCT. DCT fluid is lifetime/100k.
You can ask them what the integration level (i-level) your car is and that can be cross-referenced as to which programming version your car has. It can be read out of your key and should be attached to your work order as well. Take checkmate's i-level above and the corresponding version I posted for it as an example.
What he gave me today in the morning was a Motor Vehicle Repair Registration Cert, and I don't think it contains the i-level cause I searched it everywhere. Should I write to him and tell him to tell me the integration level of the car is, since he read the key in the morning? or wait till pick up tomorrow to see it?
      11-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #680
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:

I asked my SA about the SW level as per my PM, but was unsuccessful in obtaining the exact information. All I was able to get from him was that the car took the update correctly, and so it is currently at the most recent level. Seeing as they don't pick and older SW version unless the car has a problem with the newer one, I'd say I am as reasonable as possible that it is now running the latest SW. I know it doesn't really answer your question, but it's the best I could do.

In regards to the warranty, my SA told me the warranty on the car stays intact if they do the reflashing successfully, no matter who requests it and who pays for it. According to him, one of the reasons he tends to discourage his clients from asking for an update is that during the update process, various electronic modules have been known to crap out occasionally - in a situation like this, the customer is on the hook for said modules if they requested the reflash in the first place.

Given this information, I think if you want to reflash your ECU you are better off with an aftermarket vendor who should take responsibility for the entire process.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 07:47 PM   #681
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamico
Should I write to him and tell him to tell me the integration level of the car is, since he read the key in the morning? or wait till pick up tomorrow to see it?
You should just be able to ask him when you pick up the car. The post up what it is, or PM me and I'll tell you what version you have. Provided you can't find it online that is
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 11:31 AM   #682
ERinEC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 AW E92 M3

I was just informed by the dealer that my 2011 E92 has E89X-10-09-511 and that unless the car is throwing a code, no need to upgrade.

Could I benefit from an upgrade? This appears to be a rather dated version.
Appreciate 0