BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

BPM

09-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
WSYF10M5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3 RS

MDrive Pakage for 2012 E92 M3

Hi Everyone,

My first post, and will be taking delivery of 2012 E92 M3 next week.

-Silverstone with Palladium
-Mdrive package
-Shadowline
-DCT

I am abit confused about MDrive package, on the website it says I have the ability to control the of suspension settings. Does this mean I have EDC? But on the Competition package, there is another feature calls the DDC? What is the difference?

http://www.bmw.ca/ca/en/newvehicles/...vemanager.html

I am planning to lower the car with KW coilover sleeve kit, and hopefully I have some kind of dampening control for comfort and sport.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Congrats on the new Car!

MDrive package includes Nav, Voice Control and MDrive.

MDrive allows you to preselect suspension and servortronic and DCT speeds as well and activate MDM mode. MDM allows less intervention from the of the traction control etc to allow for a little bit more spirited driving. Although still intrusive.

Competition Package includes DDC (EDC). If you go with the Sleeve over kit you will maintain the DDC (EDC) functionality. DDC and EDC are the same thing (for this discussion). Comp Package has an updated version of the EDC as originally offered
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
WSYF10M5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
Congrats on the new Car!

MDrive package includes Nav, Voice Control and MDrive.

MDrive allows you to preselect suspension and servortronic and DCT speeds as well and activate MDM mode. MDM allows less intervention from the of the traction control etc to allow for a little bit more spirited driving. Although still intrusive.

Competition Package includes DDC (EDC). If you go with the Sleeve over kit you will maintain the DDC (EDC) functionality. DDC and EDC are the same thing (for this discussion). Comp Package has an updated version of the EDC as originally offered
Thank you very much for your help! The answer that I have searching for!

do you know how many presets will the MDRIVE have? Etc, Comfort, sport, and sport+ as offered on my F10 M5.

So basically for people that says they do not have EDC or DDC, meaning they did not option either the MDrive or Comp Pack?

Lastly would I have a button called "Power"?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #4
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

Another bmw toy in your collection.

Sure is a nice winter daily drive bimmer, if I may say so.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
WSYF10M5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
Another bmw toy in your collection.

Sure is a nice winter daily drive bimmer, if I may say so.
haha nice to see you on the M3 forum! I don't get to drive the M5 much, and I have a hard time keeping traction in warm weathers with it, nevermind winter...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 07:35 AM   #6
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSYF10M5 View Post
Thank you very much for your help! The answer that I have searching for!

do you know how many presets will the MDRIVE have? Etc, Comfort, sport, and sport+ as offered on my F10 M5.

So basically for people that says they do not have EDC or DDC, meaning they did not option either the MDrive or Comp Pack?

Lastly would I have a button called "Power"?
Should have the same. Comfort, Sport and Sport+. The "M" button can only be programmed for 1 configuration at a time so you cant have multiple set ups pre stored. For the suspension setting, you can just toggle the button on the console easy enough anyways. The power button is also right there if you want to play with the throttle response setting too. The M button, just has the benefit of preselecting the suspension, throttle as well as activating MDM with the push of the button. Been a while since I drove the M5, but I think it works pretty much the same way.

Mdrive does not include DDC (EDC) on its own. Comes with the Comp Pack or as a stand alone option. On my last M, I had MDrive but no EDC.

Hope that helps
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
WSYF10M5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
Should have the same. Comfort, Sport and Sport+. The "M" button can only be programmed for 1 configuration at a time so you cant have multiple set ups pre stored. For the suspension setting, you can just toggle the button on the console easy enough anyways. The power button is also right there if you want to play with the throttle response setting too. The M button, just has the benefit of preselecting the suspension, throttle as well as activating MDM with the push of the button. Been a while since I drove the M5, but I think it works pretty much the same way.

Mdrive does not include DDC (EDC) on its own. Comes with the Comp Pack or as a stand alone option. On my last M, I had MDrive but no EDC.

Hope that helps

Thank you!

So basically Mdrive does what DDC (EDC) does... but with on 1 configuration. Glad to hear this cause I can preset “M” with aggressive throttle, “firm” suspension, and gearing when needed.

What is the benefit for people to option DDC (EDC) if they are equipped with Mdrive already? Hmm… perhaps an extra button beside the shifter?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #8
m3h
Dis Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: in the right lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSYF10M5 View Post
Thank you!

So basically Mdrive does what DDC (EDC) does... but with on 1 configuration. Glad to hear this cause I can preset “M” with aggressive throttle, “firm” suspension, and gearing when needed.

What is the benefit for people to option DDC (EDC) if they are equipped with Mdrive already? Hmm… perhaps an extra button beside the shifter?
M Drive gives you the option to call up configuration settings using the M button on the steering wheel but it doesn't provide those functions if they are not installed. So if you do not have the Competition package or the stand alone EDC option, M Drive won't change the damper (shock) settings as the shocks themselves are not active (and you won't have the EDC button on the center console).

With M Drive, using the M button on the steering wheel, you can call up 1 configuration of the following:
  • Drivelogic mode (D1-5, S1-6 if you have DCT)
  • EDC mode (comfort, normal, sport IF you have EDC or Comp package)
  • DSC (off, on, MDM)
  • Power (normal, sport, sport plus)
  • Servotronic (normal, sport)
  • Shift lights (on, off)

EDC stand alone option provides dynamic comfort and normal modes plus a static sport mode. Sport mode with the Comp package is also dynamic which might be why they call it DDC not EDC.
Appreciate 0