BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

12-01-2009, 12:51 PM   #67
ChrisV
7er
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 BMW 740iL

Garage List
1998 740iL  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
I was talking about the regular mustang, not the shelby. And even the shelby interior, while having cool seats, looks like a giant thing of hard plastic. Looks like its trying to be a classic car. Im sorry but im young. I dont want a car based off the looks of its grandfather car. I want a car looking to the future.

Why do the american muscle cars have to look to the past for ideas about current cars. Just create a good modern design! The retro junk is horrible.
Why design just another generic modern car that will be dated the moment the next new thing comes out, and that people will complain that it's just a clone of "_________" other new car?

I prefer a car with a direct design heritage, and the Mustang is perfect at that. It's now like the original Mustang was consistently updated since it came out in '65 (almost forgetting about the Mustang II and Fox square Mustangs). Modern detailing with classic design cues. That's different than retro, which is a new product designed to look like a generic classic product (the PT Cruiser was a good example of this: it replicated nothing of the past, and had zero design heritage, but took old cues and applied them to a modern small hatchback wagon).

I've driven the new Mustang GTs (both the '05-09 version and the '10 update) and they are everything that was right abut classic musclecars along wiht everything that makes a modern car so useable. They DO handle good, ride good, go like stink for cheap, and have a look that is definitely not generic and forgettable. I love the interior as a place to be (but then again, I remember actual old musclecars and actual old Japanese and German cars, and have spent way too much time in very spartan race car interiors, so I may have a bit more overall perspective than an inexperienced kid like you).

The modern BMWs may feel like quality cars, but the reality is the history of modern BMS is worse on the reliability front than cars like the Mustang, so apparently even though the dash strokability is high, the appearance of quality is just an illusion. Don't get me wrong, I love the looks of a lot of BMWs, and the value of good used ones is outstanding if you're in the market for a used luxury sports sedan, but lets not kid ourselves, as an actual car the Mustang is really good.

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 04:07 PM   #68
Shieldze1025
Keepin' America Free
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

I thought about going with a cobra b/c I've been an american car guy my whole life. Just the interior alone turns me off, my 335i is the complete package- speed and comfort. Mustangs/Camaros/etc are just the speed IMO
Appreciate 0