BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

08-09-2011, 06:44 PM   #89
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhird View Post
OP may live in Canada but his response is pure American
Mind explaining your post to us Canadians ??? Your thumps down response is somewhat confusing to some of us since in this forum we do support one another. The original poster deserves some support since he take time to share his misfortune with us.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 06:53 PM   #90
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
Mind explaining your post to us Canadians ??? Your thumps down response is somewhat confusing to some of us since in this forum we do support one another. The original poster deserves some support since he take time to share his misfortune with us.
He is commenting on the propensity of US citizens to sue more than people of other countries.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 07:01 PM   #91
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
He is commenting on the propensity of US citizens to sue more than people of other countries.
I see ... thanks for the explanation ... still the thumbs down was overkill in his post, besides he had nothing else to say

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 09:18 PM   #92
Stronghammer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
I empathize with his situation but frown upon the need to reference litigation this early in the process. Must everything be resolved with a lawyer ? Read the thread about the dreaded exhibition of speed ticket. Guy got hosed by his lawyer. So in this thread is the OP suggesting an engine from BMW can never fail ? Anything less than perfection always is grounds for a lawsuit. Come on.
Mods: ESS VT1, MS test pipes, 19 BBS CH-R, Eibach pro springs, Painted reflectors, carbon fiber grills, Painted side markers with dark tinted lenses, 30% tint, Arkym rear diffuser, Innotech axle back exhaust, Performance spoiler
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 10:22 PM   #93
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
I empathize with his situation but frown upon the need to reference litigation this early in the process. Must everything be resolved with a lawyer ? Read the thread about the dreaded exhibition of speed ticket. Guy got hosed by his lawyer. So in this thread is the OP suggesting an engine from BMW can never fail ? Anything less than perfection always is grounds for a lawsuit. Come on.
+1 ......... Why would someone contact a lawyer if warranty hasn't been denied. If the warranty claim is denied then a lawyer would be in order but not before!!!!
      08-09-2011, 10:53 PM   #94
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 740i sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
+1 ......... Why would someone contact a lawyer if warranty hasn't been denied. If the warranty claim is denied then a lawyer would be in order but not before!!!!
+10.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 11:35 PM   #95
BlueElectrin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Seriously man.. I am officially a walking textbook from that exam material now. I just want it to go away, it's caused me nightmares. Hilarious that you caught it though! I suppose some of it is relatively handy. For example, it was useful in this thread.. on.. an M3 message board..
Haha no worries, majority of what we do here is CYA (Cover Your Ass), and knowing how to is important.

Now looking back, Engineering Ethic is actually the most useful course that I've taken (that applies to real life anyway).
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 11:40 PM   #96
Gkap
BMF Movement
Canada
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

Quote:
this.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 08:16 AM   #97
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I understand your meaning now since it has been clarified. I need to tell you that my mother tongue is not English so I simply misinterpreted your meaning and post. Sorry.

Still in all fairness to the OP situation your addition of the thumps down was ... how you say in English "a bit of overkill"

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 08:36 AM   #98
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post

if they cannot find the cause of the problem

BMW Fanatic
BMW Fanatic

I cannot agree with your Update statement above, where you mention if they cannot find the cause of the problem

In my opinion BMW must and will find the cause of the failure, it is in there own interest to find it so that the situation can be addressed and corrective action taken if that is deemed to be necessary. I believe that BMW is a very responsible organization and they will take actions in the best interest of there customers. Mind you there may be exceptions to what I just stated like, breakdowns in communication between the dealership and BMW customer relations, issues handled by new employees or inexperienced people etc. It is then that important facts fall between the cracks and you then as the customer must interject and take appropriate actions.

Once again, I strongly recommend that you stay in close touch with the dealership and let them know that you wish to see evidence of the failure that has caused your mishap.

Once again good luck and do keep us informed we all share your grief and have a mutual interest on the outcome since we all drive the same make of car here in this section of the forum.

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 08:53 AM   #99
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I too agree with this +1

The OP should keep notes of all relevant facts as this issue progresses then if he feels he has been mistreated then meet with a lawyer, he will soon tell him if there is cause or no case (provided he seeks the right kind of lawyer).

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #100
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
BMW FanaticIn my opinion BMW must and will find the cause of the failure, it is in there own interest to find it so that the situation can be addressed and corrective action taken if that is deemed to be necessary. I believe that BMW is a very responsible organization and they will take actions in the best interest of there customers.
Not to be a downer, but I'm not sure why you have this blind faith that BMW will find a root cause, and share that root cause with the customer. As far as I know, there still been no root cause stated, and possibly not found for the hundreds of thousands, if not millions of failing HPFPs impacting the N54 engine. Furthermore, it basically seems like it took an ABC news expose for them to step up and perform a real recall with redesigned pumps. If an incident like that wasn't enough to get BMW to perform and/or share diagnostics with customers, I can't imagine this one possibly random incident would. I think it also took a class-action lawsuit for them to address the semi-infamous E46 subframe issues.

I imagine they'll log some information about this incident (in case it does later fit a pattern), replace the engine, and move on. I certainly like BMW as much as the next person (heck, I traded in my 335xi for a [HPFP-less] M3), but putting them out there as the model of automotive transparency is IMO laughable. If this doesn't fit some previously established pattern, I'd would be mildly shocked if BMW does any diagnostics on this blown engine, and majorly shocked if that was done and the results were shared.
      08-10-2011, 11:58 AM   #101
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzentruber View Post
Not to be a downer, but I'm not sure why you have this blind faith that BMW will find a root cause, and share that root cause with the customer. As far as I know, there still been no root cause stated, and possibly not found for the hundreds of thousands, if not millions of failing HPFPs impacting the N54 engine. Furthermore, it basically seems like it took an ABC news expose for them to step up and perform a real recall with redesigned pumps. If an incident like that wasn't enough to get BMW to perform and/or share diagnostics with customers, I can't imagine this one possibly random incident would. I think it also took a class-action lawsuit for them to address the semi-infamous E46 subframe issues.

I imagine they'll log some information about this incident (in case it does later fit a pattern), replace the engine, and move on. I certainly like BMW as much as the next person (heck, I traded in my 335xi for a [HPFP-less] M3), but putting them out there as the model of automotive transparency is IMO laughable. If this doesn't fit some previously established pattern, I'd would be mildly shocked if BMW does any diagnostics on this blown engine, and majorly shocked if that was done and the results were shared.
Just a point I'd like to add is that this behavior really isn't limited to BMW, or the automotive industry in general. All manufacturers/distributers/resellers walk a fine line between sharing the details on any mechanical, electrical, design flaw, etc. failure. It's always a tough call on how to handle these things. You have to balance the interest of the customer, the shareholders, and the law.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 02:12 PM   #102
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
Just a point I'd like to add is that this behavior really isn't limited to BMW, or the automotive industry in general. All manufacturers/distributers/resellers walk a fine line between sharing the details on any mechanical, electrical, design flaw, etc. failure. It's always a tough call on how to handle these things. You have to balance the interest of the customer, the shareholders, and the law.
Very true, and I certainly didn't mean my post to imply this behavior was exclusive to BMW. That said, it is disappointing to see the German companies, which historically were charged with attempting to balance customer, employee, and shareholder interests, becoming much more US company like (at least from my perspective), seeming to put shareholder interest first. I guess if you are competing for global capital, perhaps there's no choice. Ford was pilloried back in the 70s for the Pinto , and back then it would be hard to imagine any German company doing such a thing. Now? Not so sure... Of course, everyone tends to jump to conclusions, and sometime, sh*t really does just happen.
      08-10-2011, 03:30 PM   #103
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Singletrack and swartzentruber,

I think you are both right, perhaps it was just wishful thinking on my part concerning this subject since I spend most of my working life in failure analysis and to this end I know if one evaluates all with proper attention one can get to the bottom of the route cause.

I just like to get it across to the OP to stay on top of the situation as I am sure he will. Sometimes it all depends on the dealership (I have opposite experiences one good [Canadian dealership] one bad [US dealership] last year). I don't like to talk about it in this thread here since it would deviate from the posted subject.

Let us hope the matter is handled correctly for the OP I'm sure he will keep us up to date.

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 01:25 PM   #104
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

Original post has been UPDATED
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 01:48 PM   #105
Twinbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ....

Glad to hear things are on the right track Fanatic.

I think you are right to discuss a completely new ride with the sales manager as you have mentioned the peace of mind it would bring. Also, you mentioned you would keep it for a long time but just in case you do have to sell, a replaced motor would turn some away (only because they would associate a blown engine with abuse, which is not the case).

The Dallari Group who owns this store has many other dealerships so hopefully they recognize your situation and do what they can.

goodluck and hope to see you around (look for a IB e92 at Calgary BMW, I'm hoping it arrives any day).
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #106
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Thanks for the update and glad to hear they are working things out for you. Always a good thing when it goes smoothly like that. Nice to know about the Dinan options as well. Hope to see you back on the road ASAP! You should be receiving your new engine just as I am receiving my car!

Also with respect to your comment about the price premium, I think you make a good point. A lot of ther Americans on here do forget that just a base model M3 is $75,000 in Canada, with fully loaded taking you to $100,000.
      08-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #107
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post
Original post has been UPDATED
The car is only 6 weeks old? I would ask for a whole new car also personally.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 05:37 PM   #108
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Just my 2 cents here ... if it was my car and this happened I certainly would not feel right in keeping it and remembering when the engine gave up and surrounded the car in white smoke.

I would negotiate the best deal possible on a new car and be done with it. As I said just my 2 cents.

Best of luck ...

PS. Too bad we don't get to know what the cause was... or might there be a chance?

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 05:54 PM   #109
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Couple of comments on your updates...

1st... congrats that all is working out... great news.

2nd... I think it is a little nuts that you are considering getting a lawyer, etc. Mechanical things will break down. It happens. I completely understand your frustration and such but if every car manufacturer could be sued when a mechanical issue occurred it would happen every day. It was really just poor luck and that stuff happens. Clearly given how few major problems the M3 has had, it isn't a design flaw. Anyway, just my two cents.

3rd... if the rest of the car is perfect and you get a new engine, why would you not be comfortable with the car any longer and want a completely new one? The only reason I can think of is if you don't have faith that the dealership will install it correctly. Otherwise, isn't your car back to new again? That, to me, is almost like saying "my transmission went... I need a new car because I can't trust this one." If you get a new engine and it is installed correctly, why would you have any less faith in the car than a new one? I'm not at all meaning to be difficult but I don't understand the rationale behind wanting a brand new car because something went wrong with the one you have if it is completely fixed. I would understand if it were a recurring issue but there is nothing to suggest it would be in this case.

Anyway, very glad things are working out.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 05:56 PM   #110
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Just my 2 cents here ... if it was my car and this happened I certainly would not feel right in keeping it and remembering when the engine gave up and surrounded the car in white smoke.
Curious... why? Why would you not "feel right" keeping the car with the brand new engine. Just because you would remember that it broke? Like my post above, I'm not meaning to be difficult but I don't get the whole "I had a mechanical issue... it was fixed... but give me a new car anyway" thought process. Again, if it were a RECURRING issue, then I completely agree. There is nothing to suggest his car with a new engine will be one bit less reliable than mine or yours.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0