BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

EXXEL Distributions

04-24-2013, 07:43 AM   #67
breakey12345
Rep
Drives: M3 sedan 2008

my others pictures from my cluster
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 08:05 AM   #68
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakey12345 View Post
Hi this is my story, I have a trouble with my throttle body. The actuator retail price is 1500$ and 4 hours for labor in Canada . Very expensif so I decide to buy a use one from england on ebay. My mechanician replace it and I have again the limp mode with the error can bus bank 1 throttle body.
I have this problem just when I start my M3, sometime I dont have this limp mode. This is an intermittent problem, but I am very tired. I take this 5 pictures from my cluster. I need some help. Could you tell me when you have problems with the throttle, do you have the same alarme on the cluster. Excuse my english, I'm french canadian.

So I have 5 check engine in my cluster when the limp mode come and my rpm cutt off a 3500. check the picture below.

Thanks a lot
All I can say he you should try to clear the codes. I used Bavarian Technic tool (OBD2). Some members have lucked out and didn't need to do anything, but in your case, that should be the next step. Those errors look like the car is still in limp mode, so clearing the codes or maybe resetting the throttle actuators will fix it.

Note that I did not have to reset them.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 08:42 AM   #69
Majin Buu
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
my others pictures from my cluster
I had those exact same codes and the limp mode activate yesterday 5 minutes into my drive. I pulled over, shut down the ignition and restarted the car. The error messages were gone and the car ran fine. Should I be worried about the stupid throttle actuator grenading itself? So much for "German engineering". I should've gone with a GTR instead
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #70
breakey12345
Rep
Drives: M3 sedan 2008

How you resseting the throttle actuators. I dont read anything for reset the throttle.
What is the procedure. I try to reset the code but now is steal there.

Thank you for your help it is very apreciate
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #71
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin Buu View Post
I had those exact same codes and the limp mode activate yesterday 5 minutes into my drive. I pulled over, shut down the ignition and restarted the car. The error messages were gone and the car ran fine. Should I be worried about the stupid throttle actuator grenading itself? So much for "German engineering". I should've gone with a GTR instead
Grenading itself? If it goes bad, change it and get on with it. It's not the end of the world.

Quote:
How you resseting the throttle actuators. I dont read anything for reset the throttle.
What is the procedure. I try to reset the code but now is steal there.

Thank you for your help it is very apreciate
I don't think resetting it is necessary because none of us that did the job had to do it. However, I would use Bavarian Technic to clear all the codes. This is something your mechanic should be able to do if he has the tools for it.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #72
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep
Drives: Gray E92 M3

I have a nice little warning code (not full blown as it is pending, no CEL) about something with the Throttle Actuator. Saw this code with the Tuning software when it was installed. Car still drives fine...just waiting for it go so I can replace it!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #73
Majin Buu
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Grenading itself? If it goes bad, change it and get on with it. It's not the end of the world.
Typical BMW-koolaid-drinking fanboy response. The fact is that there is no excuse for all those stupid actuators failing so often and so soon. Nor is there an excuse for the ridiculous cost of replacing it out of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #74
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Typical BMW-koolaid-drinking fanboy response. The fact is that there is no excuse for all those stupid actuators failing so often and so soon. Nor is there an excuse for the ridiculous cost of replacing it out of warranty.
Think whatever you want. I bought an M3 over all the other cars I was looking at because the S65 engine is very reliable. It cost me $800 for the parts, and did the DIY in half a day without having a clue as to what I was doing.

Compared to let's say an E46 M3, this car is a damn angel. Not that I'm a GTR expert, but do you know how much it costs to change the dual clutch fluid? Yea, it's ridiculous too. If you can't afford a $1k emergency repair on this car, then it's not for you. And neither is a GTR.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #75
Majin Buu
Banned
Rep

I can afford a $1k repair. But the fact is I shouldn't have to. From all the stories of how often and how soon this part fails, and not just on our cars but also on the S85 v10 M5, it is obvious the design of the part itself is either flawed, or the quality of materials is mediocre. Whatever the cause is, there really should have been a recall to inspect and possibly replace this part. It's also a safety hazard as well. Imagine your engine shutting down while being tailgated by a transport truck at 100 km/h on the highway!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #76
malter2.0
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: em-funf

Garage List
The part that replaces this is identical or re-design part number?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #77
davem3fan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan

Garage List
My car is a 2011.5 with 34,XXX miles and is now throwing an ABS & DSC warning the last 5 mornings after cold start up.

Up to this point, in this particular car I've had NO weird codes or any of that.
I have NOT yet gone into limp mode or seen an increased emissions warning.
That DID happen on my 2008 E90 M3.

After take the car in for the scheduled maintenance and warranty work I'll share the results. Sounds like the precursor of all of the above.

Dave Flogaus CCA #123862
11 E90 M3 Sedan DCT
94 E36 325is M-Tech (S50)
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #78
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem3fan View Post
My car is a 2011.5 with 34,XXX miles and is now throwing an ABS & DSC warning the last 5 mornings after cold start up.

Up to this point, in this particular car I've had NO weird codes or any of that.
I have NOT yet gone into limp mode or seen an increased emissions warning.
That DID happen on my 2008 E90 M3.

After take the car in for the scheduled maintenance and warranty work I'll share the results. Sounds like the precursor of all of the above.
Are you sure? I'd think the CEL would be the the sign of doom, rather than DSC/ABS. That sounds more like speed or brake sensor? I could be wrong of course
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 07:38 PM   #79
RBB
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Are you sure? I'd think the CEL would be the the sign of doom, rather than DSC/ABS. That sounds more like speed or brake sensor? I could be wrong of course
Agreed. A bad throttle actuator will definitely trigger a CEL and limp mode.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 07:59 PM   #80
Majin Buu
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by malter2.0 View Post
The part that replaces this is identical or re-design part number?
As far as I know, it's identical. I don't think there has been any redesign or reengineering of that part. Still the same piece of crap part since 2007.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 08:01 PM   #81
Lerxst M4
Command Sergeant Major of the Army
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBB View Post
Agreed. A bad throttle actuator will definitely trigger a CEL and limp mode.
Yep...just had bank 1 replaced last month at 56K.
2008 E90 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #82
Majin Buu
Banned
Rep

Hey I replaced the actuator today and the problem has gotten worse! Now the car barely starts, stalls on its own, and has a very rough idle. And doesn't rev past 2000 rpm. I never cleared the error codes from the original actuator. Do I just have to clear the codes or is it possible the replacement part is also malfunctioning? So fucking fed up with this shit.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #83
jcolley
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Add me to the list.

I puked a little but when the dealership quoted their price so many thanks for posting this DIY. My only hesitations right now are lack of free time and a general distaste for working on cars in cold weather. But that labor price is nuts.

Question: they suggested perhaps attempting to replace the sensor first since it is the cheaper route and might also be the problem. Good idea? I was actually a bit surprised that the codes wouldn't tell them more precisely what should be replaced...

If you are a DIY type, you can always record the codes, swap sensor from one side to the other and see if the code changes. If not, do the same with the throttle actuator and see if it switches the side for the codes.

You would be surprised how little dealer techs apparently follow ISTA troubleshooting.

EDIT: I just went back and reread your post with error codes. All three codes refer to the bank 2 throttle actuator. There are multiple variations, without the last 7 of the VIN, can't narrow it down fully. However, one of the errors refers to "actuator bottom stop" so that pretty much rules out a sensor.

Last edited by jcolley; 05-06-2013 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: Re-read prior post
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #84
jcolley
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey I replaced the actuator today and the problem has gotten worse! Now the car barely starts, stalls on its own, and has a very rough idle. And doesn't rev past 2000 rpm. I never cleared the error codes from the original actuator. Do I just have to clear the codes or is it possible the replacement part is also malfunctioning? So fucking fed up with this shit.
No clearing of codes required. Do you know the exact error codes led you to the correct actuator?

Edit: Re-read posts...The DME conducts a "pre-drive" test when the ignition is turned on before the engine is started. It cycles the actuators fully open and shut and detects any errors in position. So, the error code may be stored, but will not actuate limp mode if the test passes.

Last edited by jcolley; 05-06-2013 at 09:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 09:52 PM   #85
Majin Buu
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolley View Post
No clearing of codes required. Do you know the exact error codes led you to the correct actuator?

Edit: Re-read posts...The DME conducts a "pre-drive" test when the ignition is turned on before the engine is started. It cycles the actuators fully open and shut and detects any errors in position. So, the error code may be stored, but will not actuate limp mode if the test passes.
My code was 2B15 which apparently means throttle actuator governor bank 1. I replaced the actuator for the passenger side, which i assume is bank 1 per this DIY. And after I did it the problem is now worse. The actuator I got was used but supposed to be working properly per the seller. It came from a recycled 2010 M3.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #86
jcolley
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My code was 2B15 which apparently means throttle actuator governor bank 1. I replaced the actuator for the passenger side, which i assume is bank 1 per this DIY. And after I did it the problem is now worse. The actuator I got was used but supposed to be working properly per the seller. It came from a recycled 2010 M3.
So, I half mis-spoke. ISTA does tell you to perform a throttle actuator test. This may be required to let the DME "learn" the new actuators settings. You can also perform this with DIS. If you don't have a copy, bmtechnic.co.uk sells a nice, easy to use version with a cable for cheap. Invaluable owning this car.

Name:  S65 actuator.jpg
Views: 8355
Size:  131.5 KB
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 10:17 PM   #87
jcolley
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC919 View Post
My question is why have some throttle actuators failed on practically new cars and others on cars with considerable mileage? If it happens to a car that is very low mileage, that would probably mean a problem with the manufacturing of these throttle actuators, whereas the older ones could just wear out.

Either way, in my mind this is a design flaw with these BMW V8s and I am happy to at least not be paying for the parts because the quote I recieved for each bank was atrocious.
So, I've been looking into these quite a bit (I have the teardown thread on M5board) and have 5 dead actuators now sitting in my basement. Every one has worn teeth at the exact point the teeth align when the actuator throttle bodies are fully shut.

On the S85, the throttle actuator itself has a little more travel to its spring shut position that it can not make due to the linkage and the throttle body being fully shut. I expect this is for some margin for safety in case slop develops on the linkage. I do not know if the S65 is the same, but from the pictures, it looks like it could be. For the S85, when the throttle body is shut, the actuator linkage arm is at top dead center. Disconnect the linkage and the actuator arm will spring another 30 degrees or so.

Since the wear occurs at this point, I suspect that it all happens at very low throttle. On the S85, you can drive around at any RPM (even close to redline in 1st) with light throttle and only the idle actuators are open. Only when you get past about 30% pedal does the throttle actuator finally open. This makes me wonder if the engine vibrations on the motionless teeth in contact may be causing the wear.

If you open one up (5 torx screw), you'll see the middle gear shaft drops into a hole in the circuit board. There is no bearing surface (like a thrust bearing) on the circuit board), so that means the white gear must have some play. I've been wondering if it isn't moving back and forth on the shaft due to the vibration and wearing prematurely.

At any rate, I have a set of drawings out to a CNC gear shop and hope to have the first set to test soon. I redesigned the black output gear (the black one) to be made of brass so it will not wear again. That way all the wear occurs on the white gear and that is very easy to replace. Future repairs would likely be under $15. Whenever I get them back, I'll post here and let you guys know if it works or now.

On M5board, a few guys are trying an outfit in the UK called BBA Reman whe says the can refurbish them. No positive experience yet, but they quoted around $300.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #88
Majin Buu
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolley View Post
So, I've been looking into these quite a bit (I have the teardown thread on M5board) and have 5 dead actuators now sitting in my basement. Every one has worn teeth at the exact point the teeth align when the actuator throttle bodies are fully shut.

On the S85, the throttle actuator itself has a little more travel to its spring shut position that it can not make due to the linkage and the throttle body being fully shut. I expect this is for some margin for safety in case slop develops on the linkage. I do not know if the S65 is the same, but from the pictures, it looks like it could be. For the S85, when the throttle body is shut, the actuator linkage arm is at top dead center. Disconnect the linkage and the actuator arm will spring another 30 degrees or so.

Since the wear occurs at this point, I suspect that it all happens at very low throttle. On the S85, you can drive around at any RPM (even close to redline in 1st) with light throttle and only the idle actuators are open. Only when you get past about 30% pedal does the throttle actuator finally open. This makes me wonder if the engine vibrations on the motionless teeth in contact may be causing the wear.

If you open one up (5 torx screw), you'll see the middle gear shaft drops into a hole in the circuit board. There is no bearing surface (like a thrust bearing) on the circuit board), so that means the white gear must have some play. I've been wondering if it isn't moving back and forth on the shaft due to the vibration and wearing prematurely.

At any rate, I have a set of drawings out to a CNC gear shop and hope to have the first set to test soon. I redesigned the black output gear (the black one) to be made of brass so it will not wear again. That way all the wear occurs on the white gear and that is very easy to replace. Future repairs would likely be under $15. Whenever I get them back, I'll post here and let you guys know if it works or now.

On M5board, a few guys are trying an outfit in the UK called BBA Reman whe says the can refurbish them. No positive experience yet, but they quoted around $300.
sounds great. The MAFIA stealership here quoted me a price of over $1600 + tax for 1 actuator. That's over twice what the americans south of the border claim to be paying. Once again, we canadians get ripped off and screwed up our rear ends.
Appreciate 0