BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

03-01-2014, 06:29 PM   #1
GAM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe

Launch control issues

Hi guys, been twice to the drag strip in the last few weeks, and found my launch control being very unreliable.
Using the same procedure all the time, it does come on sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. Out of 10 passes, it agreed to come on twice only...
Procedure being:
- M mode on
- remove the traction control
- increase the shift time to max
- apply the brakes
- move lever forward

Car was always warm, close to the 210 temperature, tried several settings with not turning if off between passes, waiting 15min between passes with car turned off, or one pass after the other.
Tried it several times on my way to work (30min drive) and same happens, very unreliable.

Question for you guys, do you have the same issue? Should I get the car to the dealer, but not sure what they will answer about the launch control...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 06:45 PM   #2
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

I've only done launch control twice but I seem to remember no foot on the brake, mat the gas pedal down so it goes beyond the detent, then you should get the launch control sign on the dash, let go of the shift selector and off you go.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 07:33 PM   #3
JDM3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E92

No brakes! It deactivates LC
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 08:54 PM   #4
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

No brakes and I thought you had to drive 10 km between launches...maybe that's just the first launch.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 01:17 AM   #5
GAM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH
I've only done launch control twice but I seem to remember no foot on the brake, mat the gas pedal down so it goes beyond the detent, then you should get the launch control sign on the dash, let go of the shift selector and off you go.
Man I hope you get the flag on before you mash the throttle otherwise you will be gone before you can move the lever foreward.
Thanks guys for the inputs I will try that
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 01:21 AM   #6
GAM
Lieutenant
Rep

That's what I've been using as a guide, but maybe it doesn't come at some point because I don't drive enough between passes. However they mention to press the brakes at the beginning of the procedure, I will make more testing
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 01:23 AM   #7
GAM
Lieutenant
Rep

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 02:35 AM   #8
marcb910
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Sparkling Graphite sold

I had this same problem first time I tracked my car, launch control only worked about 2-3 times out of a dozen passes (very annoying). I'd get it to activate waiting in line, soon as I staged it just wouldn't come on. It's very inconsistent. I've been told a DCT software update will fix this problem, waiting to get my Evolve tune to see if this works.

I do see now that it says it re-activates after a certain distance driven, but it's still inconstant when I randomly want to see if the flag will show.
      03-02-2014, 06:34 AM   #9
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAM View Post
That's what I've been using as a guide, but maybe it doesn't come at some point because I don't drive enough between passes. However they mention to press the brakes at the beginning of the procedure, I will make more testing
There are actually two sets of instructions. One in the primary manual and one in the supplemental manual. The one is in the supplemental is correct.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 08:34 AM   #10
GAM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcb910
I had this same problem first time I tracked my car, launch control only worked about 2-3 times out of a dozen passes (very annoying). I'd get it to activate waiting in line, soon as I staged it just wouldn't come on. It's very inconsistent. I've been told a DCT software update will fix this problem, waiting to get my Evolve tune to see if this works.

I do see now that it says it re-activates after a certain distance driven, but it's still inconstant when I randomly want to see if the flag will show.
Looks like it is exactly the same issue, will try to get the dealer to update the DCT software or get the DCT software from a tuner
Appreciate 0