BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

09-10-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
SCtud
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Questions on Stud Conversion Kit

Ok - I've searched and searched, but cant seem to find reliable and complete information. So I've gathered that the Red BBS Lug Nuts on an E9x require a stud conversion kit. It seems that Macht Schnell or Turner Motor Sport or Vorshlag are the most common brands, but most are 75mm. Won't this stick out too much particularly with a closed lug nut and no spacers?

I assume the length of the stud needs to be the exact length if the plan is to run closed lug nuts which I believe the BBS ones are. Is the right length for an E93 60mm? I can't tell what length studs are being used in the pictures shown here, and then I can't tell if there are spacers being run on them as well requiring a longer stud.

Lastly, if I use a wheel lock with studs, does that mean you replace the lug nut on one stud per tire with the wheel lock lug nut? If that's the case, then the whole point of a uniform lug nut look is lost no?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 10:11 AM   #2
SCtud
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ok - so after doing some more research, I think I figured out that a 44mm length stud is needed for closed end lug nuts with no spacers. Anybody know a good stud at that length? The only one I can find is on evasive motorsport here:
http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/Me...=WMSTUDKIT-BMW

It seems a bit "cheap" in price compared to other kits, so just wanted to make sure it was high quality before ordering.

Also seems to be a bit of variance in installation methods. Some use red loctite, some use blue loctite on the hub side. Some tighten the stud to 16 ft-lbs, some to 50 ft-lbs.

I believe the lug nuts themselves get tightened to 80 ft-lbs? Anybody have any feedback on these installation parameters?

Lastly, the lug nuts are a bit unique and almost like a "lock" themselves. How hard are these to find and are most thieves carrying lug bolt adaptors rather than lug nut adaptors?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 05:51 PM   #3
david @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Another thing to consider is if you're going to use spacers on your wheels... With a smaller length on the stud, like the 44mm that you listed, you wont be able to run spacers... With a 75mm like the Macht Schnell, you can add a 12mm spacer without any problems.

This is what I suggest if that comes to play.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 10:11 PM   #4
SCtud
First Lieutenant
Rep

I'm not using spacers and am using closed end lugs, so need the length to be exactly right. Is 44mm the correct length for an E93 M3 with no spacers? I find it odd that there are so few options for 44mm. I will be running red BBS McGard lugs.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 10:55 PM   #5
Ryan@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: ACR

if you are using the above, you will need the 44mm studs.
we also have the same studs as Evasive does. you can also get the H&R studs that are 40mm long to go with the BBS lug nuts (closed-end)
      09-17-2010, 12:16 AM   #6
SCtud
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius@WSTO View Post

if you are using the above, you will need the 44mm studs.
we also have the same studs as Evasive does. you can also get the H&R studs that are 40mm long to go with the BBS lug nuts (closed-end)
Thanks! Those are exactly what I'll be using. Not sure how much safer 44mm is than 40mm, but I guess ever mm helps and thanks for confirming that that is the correct length!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 12:59 AM   #7
KM3
Formerly K335i
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtud View Post
Ok - I've searched and searched, but cant seem to find reliable and complete information. So I've gathered that the Red BBS Lug Nuts on an E9x require a stud conversion kit. It seems that Macht Schnell or Turner Motor Sport or Vorshlag are the most common brands, but most are 75mm. Won't this stick out too much particularly with a closed lug nut and no spacers?

I assume the length of the stud needs to be the exact length if the plan is to run closed lug nuts which I believe the BBS ones are. Is the right length for an E93 60mm? I can't tell what length studs are being used in the pictures shown here, and then I can't tell if there are spacers being run on them as well requiring a longer stud.

Lastly, if I use a wheel lock with studs, does that mean you replace the lug nut on one stud per tire with the wheel lock lug nut? If that's the case, then the whole point of a uniform lug nut look is lost no?
Any particular reason you want to use closed lug nuts? Open ended lug nuts on longer (75mm min) bullet nosed studs are going to give you more flexibility in the long run and will ease wheel swaps. IMO, that's the main reason to go with studs in the first place, but to each his own.

As for locks, typically you only place one lock on each wheel. If you're going for a uniform look though, you'll need 20 locking nuts, which looks to be the case with this BBS kit.

2009 E92 M3 :: Jet Black :: Fox Red Extended :: Carbon Leather :: 6MT :: JRZ RS Suspension :: RD Sport Sways :: StopTech Trophy Brakes :: Cantrell Brake Cooling
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 08:26 AM   #8
SCtud
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM3 View Post
Any particular reason you want to use closed lug nuts? Open ended lug nuts on longer (75mm min) bullet nosed studs are going to give you more flexibility in the long run and will ease wheel swaps. IMO, that's the main reason to go with studs in the first place, but to each his own.

As for locks, typically you only place one lock on each wheel. If you're going for a uniform look though, you'll need 20 locking nuts, which looks to be the case with this BBS kit.
I am not doing it for practical purposes Look at how awesome those nuts look!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 11:03 AM   #9
KM3
Formerly K335i
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtud View Post
I am not doing it for practical purposes Look at how awesome those nuts look!
Gotcha. They do look pretty cool...

2009 E92 M3 :: Jet Black :: Fox Red Extended :: Carbon Leather :: 6MT :: JRZ RS Suspension :: RD Sport Sways :: StopTech Trophy Brakes :: Cantrell Brake Cooling
Appreciate 0