BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

06-17-2007, 05:37 PM   #1
mudd786
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 E36

any body know why sedan will not have CF?

i cannot believe or get my head around why they are not going to make the sedan with CF!!

for ages i have been saying wish they made the e46 m3 in 4 door, then when the news came out there will be a 4 door in the new range i was straight down to the dealer, but am feeling ripped off as am gonna pay probably the same amount for the 4 door as the coupe, but be penalised by way of not having a CF, which i think realy makes the car unique and now is becomming a deal breaker for me! any one else thinking that? cheers!
ps sorry if this has already been discussed!!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 05:41 PM   #2
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudd786 View Post
i cannot believe or get my head around why they are not going to make the sedan with CF!!

for ages i have been saying wish they made the e46 m3 in 4 door, then when the news came out there will be a 4 door in the new range i was straight down to the dealer, but am feeling ripped off as am gonna pay probably the same amount for the 4 door as the coupe, but be penalised by way of not having a CF, which i think realy makes the car unique and now is becomming a deal breaker for me! any one else thinking that? cheers!

Well its still unclear what the options list for this car will be, the coupe itself may not come with CF either. The CF Roof may just be set to be an option for both the sedan and coupe. Its hard to say at this point and its all speculation. But I can tell you those recent pics of the sedan taken by larry also revealed a white e92m3 coupe in full M3 trim without a CF roof at all, so there are coupes driving out there minus CF as well.

Summary: exact trim settings for both coupe and sedan are still up in the air as far as we know
      06-17-2007, 05:51 PM   #3
mudd786
Private
Rep

Your right nothing is in concrete yet!

but the specs for coupe are out, and correct me if i am wrong, i was under the impression that CF was standard and sunroof (moonroof depending on which part of the earth your on) with steel roof was optional, at no cost?

but as you said sedan specs are not out and the dealer has said he will have better idea near the release of the coupe what the spec will be, seems like ages!!

cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 05:53 PM   #4
DonM3
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW e92 M3

CF roof on coupe is bloody concrete.....
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 05:56 PM   #5
mudd786
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM3 View Post
CF roof on coupe is bloody concrete.....
i thought it was but i suppose Mark was thinking bout US market, where a definative spec has not been released!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 06:03 PM   #6
DonM3
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW e92 M3

I guess your right.... but I'd still bet my house its going to be standard in the US aswell.....

Saw the M3 today! The pictures do not give the car justice.....
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 06:10 PM   #7
mudd786
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM3 View Post
I guess your right.... but I'd still bet my house its going to be standard in the US aswell.....

Saw the M3 today! The pictures do not give the car justice.....
Lucky git!!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 06:59 PM   #8
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich

Quote:

If no carbon fiber roof on e90, then it better be cheaper by a couple grand or it could be a deal breaker for a lot of potential car buyers.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 10:12 PM   #9
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Steel roof sedan

Quote:

Coupes are always considered the more performance-oriented configuration. BMW is probably 1) Trying to make the coupe more unique; 2) Trying not to compete with the M5 too much, and 3) trying to hold the base price down.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 10:29 PM   #10
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

because CF is expensive
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 11:16 PM   #11
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
well either way it can be a good thing.
1. Standard CF
2. Optional CF (cheaper base price w/o CF)
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 01:19 AM   #12
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
but am feeling ripped off as am gonna pay probably the same amount for the 4 door as the coupe, but be penalised by way of not having a CF
The 4 door M3 (E90) will be quite a bit cheaper than the E92 M3.

Look at the equivalent engined E90's and E92's. The coupes are always more expensive.

Look at the price difference between the M5 and the M6.

Not a chance is the E90 going to be the same price as the E92.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 03:07 AM   #13
mudd786
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
The 4 door M3 (E90) will be quite a bit cheaper than the E92 M3.

Look at the equivalent engined E90's and E92's. The coupes are always more expensive.

Look at the price difference between the M5 and the M6.

Not a chance is the E90 going to be the same price as the E92.
Hope your right

but fifthstreetz idea is great, cheaper base by a couple of £K but then the option to have CF!!!:rocks:

and i do understand the principal that coupe should be sportier than the sedan for bragging rights etc, that would be ok for the normal range, but we are talking M! it should not matter if it is 2 or 4 door, it should have the best materials on it (within reason) as when you buy n M you are buying the BEST!

and if people are looking to spend that kind of money they want as much of the gadgets as poss!! not feel like they have to shell out more for something that is standard on the other car and which is in the same range (M range)

the mirors CF air vents on wing and bulge on hood these defrentiate the M3 from the standard range, if you start taking the major bits of to reduce the price, it just becomes a standard 3 series (almost visualy atleast) then people like me who have to have the 4 door would def think twice!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 08:59 AM   #14
tdc
always notorious
Rep
Drives: beater

CF roof is standard on the E90/E92 M3.

The photos of cars "without" a CF roof or sunroof is simply coverup, most likely vinyl to hide the carbon fiber roof.

The only way you won't have a CF roof on either car is if you order a moonroof.
      06-19-2007, 10:00 AM   #15
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
CF sedan roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc View Post

The photos of cars "without" a CF roof or sunroof is simply coverup, most likely vinyl to hide the carbon fiber roof.

What is the source of your information? The consensus seems to be it will not have CF. After all, it would require different molds than the coupe for a fairly limited number of vehicles, likely forcing its price above the coupe. Would be nice (and unique), though.

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 10:22 AM   #16
tdc
always notorious
Rep

Let's just say I have a way of finding things out.

Is it truly a consensus when it's just people on a message board giving their own personal opinion rather than fact? I think not.

As for a different mold for the sedan, big whoop. Don't you think they planned it out when they developed the new molds for the sedan fenders, hood, front and rear bumpers, and trunk lid? You guys seem to presume that BMW engineers are building the E90 sedan as an afterthought rather than something they were intending all along.

Oh, and what percentage of the coupes being sold in the US will have a moonroof? My bet is that it's going to be more than anyone here thinks and is willing to accept.
      06-19-2007, 10:47 AM   #17
mudd786
Private
Rep

Quote:

GOD i hope your right

you made my day
but with out concrete specs or proof again it is just speculation
but if you havent got hope what have you got!!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 12:13 PM   #18
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
CF sedan roof

Quote:
Let's just say I have a way of finding things out.
You guys seem to presume that BMW engineers are building the E90 sedan as an afterthought rather than something they were intending all along.
Well, BMW said there was not enough demand, except in the US, tu justify the sedan for the E46 M3. So, the attitude that comes across is that, while not an afterthought, the sedan is definitely secondary to the coupe.

Quote:
Oh, and what percentage of the coupes being sold in the US will have a moonroof? My bet is that it's going to be more than anyone here thinks and is willing to accept.
Which reinforces my notion that the sedan won't have CF. The coupe is considered the performance choice; if a high percentage of those buyers choose the steel/sunroof option, it's bound to be much higher for the sedan where practicality is more important.

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 12:26 PM   #19
tdc
always notorious
Rep

BMW is now fully aware of the consequences of not making the US market happy with their offerings. This is based on the fact that the US outsold every other market in the world, including the home country of Germany (that didn't make BMW AG very happy).

As such, the M5 and M6 are now available with proper manual transmissions. And as such, the E90 M3 was already in the works to premiere immediately after the new M3 is introduced to the US.

The funny thing is that the E90 may even end up being a US-only car! Imagine that, the US market getting something the rest of the world doesn't. LOL!
      06-19-2007, 12:27 PM   #20
Mark
Administrator
Rep

Garage List
Well here is a picture of the White E92 M3 coupe that was spied on the ring without a CF roof and without a sunroof. Ive looked over the highres version and it doesnt look photoshoped at all or a vinyl addon.

All this really says is that BMW is testing versions of the car without CF roofs but that we cant really read anything into what the final production trim of the car will be.

From my personal experience, when it comes to BMW, everything is in the air till we see something on the dealership lots or on the official ordering guide.

I would personally think the CF will come with the car either as standard or as an option, but it will be there either way as it does seem like one extra piece of distinction to tell a real M3 from the fakes. How it will be configured between sedan/coupe/options I dont think we can say yet
Attached Images

06-19-2007, 12:31 PM   #21
tdc
always notorious
Rep

http://www.dtmpower.net/forum/e90-2-...3-germany.html

Check the photos on that thread. The CF roof is standard. The test mules are running coverup on the roofs which is clearly evidenced in the third photo down.
      06-19-2007, 01:20 PM   #22
Mark
Administrator
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
http://www.dtmpower.net/forum/e90-2-...3-germany.html

Check the photos on that thread. The CF roof is standard. The test mules are running coverup on the roofs which is clearly evidenced in the third photo down.
Oh wow, that is on there tight, then this could very well be the same story with the white coupe and even the silver sedan, good news either way