BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

05-24-2018, 09:11 AM   #1
yidgyi
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Doing solid subframe/diff bushings. What else should I do while subframe is out?

As title states, going to do solid subframe & solid diff mounts soon. What else should I do with the subframe down since its a PITA to remove? Car has 65k miles DCT. Changed diff fluid last year. Is there even anything you can do? Thanks.
      05-24-2018, 10:06 AM   #2
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by yidgyi View Post
As title states, going to do solid subframe & solid diff mounts soon. What else should I do with the subframe down since its a PITA to remove? Car has 65k miles DCT. Changed diff fluid last year. Is there even anything you can do? Thanks.
if you're doing sway bars now is the time for the rear one
Appreciate 1
yidgyi234.50
      05-24-2018, 11:40 AM   #3
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

^ +1. And I think 2 of the 6 brake lines are easier to swap (to SS) now as well.

I am curious what other bushings and joints are worth replacing at that point.

I reinforced my subframe (plates + AKG 95A bushings) at 65K on my E46 and did the CSB, guibo, RTABs, etc. at the same time. Other than the RTABs, the parts all looked pretty good. And I did not notice much of a difference with the AKG subframe mounts.
I really want to feel solid subframe mounts on the E9x before committing to the work. On the E46, it was a no brainer since the reinforcements are needed. On the E9x, it's just a matter of stiffening up the chassis, but the work is no less. I can see this being worthwhile at 80K+ when other components need a refresh, but going through the work for subframe mounts alone on a low-mile car is tough to rationalize without feeling it.
Appreciate 1
yidgyi234.50
      05-24-2018, 03:24 PM   #4
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

I did it and have not noticed a big difference. I do notice the horrible whine the powerflex diff bushings have introduced into my life
Appreciate 1
yidgyi234.50
      05-24-2018, 03:29 PM   #5
yidgyi
///M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I did it and have not noticed a big difference. I do notice the horrible whine the powerflex diff bushings have introduced into my life
I went with Bimmerworld aluminium diff/subframe bushings. One would hope the whine goes away with loud music playing . My car is already loud as it is with a straight pipe and tons of vibration/rattles inside. I've gotten used to them so it doesn't bother me. Loud music drowns my exhaust out anyway. Probably not good for long term hearing but I'm already partially deaf with high pitched noises. Yolo.

Thanks for mentioning sway bars. Forgot about the rears.
      05-24-2018, 03:33 PM   #6
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Wouldn't recommend for a street car?

I am okay with the AKG 95A diff bushings in my E46, but wouldn't want anything louder. But that car has Dinan exhaust and is just built up a little more, so the subtle whine is quite fine. But in the E90, I don't want any whine. Diff bushings will stay stock since people report whine even with Powerflex purple (the softest of poly). Maybe I'd welcome the trade off with a 6MT, but there's less to gain with a DCT.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 03:33 PM   #7
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
I went with Bimmerworld aluminium diff/subframe bushings. One would hope the whine goes away with loud music playing . My car is already loud as it is with a straight pipe and tons of vibration/rattles inside. I've gotten used to them so it doesn't bother me. Loud music drowns my exhaust out anyway. Probably not good for long term hearing but I'm already partially deaf with high pitched noises. Yolo.

Thanks for mentioning sway bars. Forgot about the rears.
LOL

Right now the stupid R888R will drown out almost all the noise on account of the racket they make, however, I can hear the diff and with more human-friendly tires like the RE71 it's going to be annoying

I went with whatever powerflex bushings people recommend

If this were my daily driver I'd be pissed
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 03:34 PM   #8
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatth View Post
Wouldn't recommend for a street car?

I am okay with the AKG 95A diff bushings in my E46, but wouldn't want anything louder. But that car has Dinan exhaust and is just built up a little more, so the subtle whine is quite fine. But in the E90, I don't want any whine. Diff bushings will stay stock since people report whine even with Powerflex purple (the softest of poly). Maybe I'd welcome the trade off with a 6MT, but there's less to gain with a DCT.
I think you can do the solid subframe ones and as long as you keep the diff ones OEM you should be fine.

I honestly never noticed any issues with the oem subframe bushings but as the car sees 40 track days a year I thought it was best to increase rigidity
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 03:36 PM   #9
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

That's a lot of track time indeed, and allows you justify far more than I can.

I do think solid subframe and stock diff mounts is a sweet setup - slightly tighter, no whine - it's just whether or not the $1000 in parts/labor is worth it on mildly modified street car.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 03:39 PM   #10
yidgyi
///M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
LOL

Right now the stupid R888R will drown out almost all the noise on account of the racket they make, however, I can hear the diff and with more human-friendly tires like the RE71 it's going to be annoying

I went with whatever powerflex bushings people recommend

If this were my daily driver I'd be pissed
Haha, dude I had r888r for 10k miles daily driving. When I first put them on when I did wheels/suspension I freaked out because I thought my wheel was rubbing against my struts or something. I kind of grown to like them and when I put PS4s for this summer I was shocked at how loud the r888r really were lmao. I really miss the dry grip the r888r had. Came from Washington DC one night for a car show and it was pouring with the r888r. I was sliding on the shoulder. What an experience.
      05-24-2018, 03:42 PM   #11
yidgyi
///M
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I do think solid subframe and stock diff mounts is a sweet setup - slightly tighter, no whine - it's just whether or not the $1000 in parts/labor is worth it on mildly modified street car.
For what its worth, my car is primarily street daily driving only. Will be tracking eventually. Just gotta find the time and balls to not wreck my car from a possible stupid mistake.
      05-24-2018, 03:43 PM   #12
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Change the shorty brake lines to steel.
      05-24-2018, 03:50 PM   #13
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:

I'd wait until you have more miles or track it.

Or look at it this way: I'm not going to do them to my secondary track car which is the E92
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 03:51 PM   #14
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Haha, dude I had r888r for 10k miles daily driving. When I first put them on when I did wheels/suspension I freaked out because I thought my wheel was rubbing against my struts or something. I kind of grown to like them and when I put PS4s for this summer I was shocked at how loud the r888r really were lmao. I really miss the dry grip the r888r had. Came from Washington DC one night for a car show and it was pouring with the r888r. I was sliding on the shoulder. What an experience.
What really bothers me about the r888r is they aren't fast. You can't be pretty much the same price as the re71 but be loud as hell and not grip as well

I drove them through some snow not long ago... it was an experience
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 03:52 PM   #15
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
For what its worth, my car is primarily street daily driving only. Will be tracking eventually. Just gotta find the time and balls to not wreck my car from a possible stupid mistake.
That's what track insurance is for!

You can't live in VA and not go to VIR! It's illegal!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 12:08 PM   #16
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
FWIW I did the upgrade when I snapped a diff bolt. Figured it was time.
Appreciate 0