BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-23-2011, 06:32 PM   #89
ScaredOnce
Very Important
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi (e92)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital.James View Post
ha this statement is laughable at best. keep telling yourself that. shit changes when you have a gun pointed at your face or you're getting shot at. performance anxiety kills.

I'm sure there's an interesting story behind those thoughts. What does it have to do with suggesting a concealable firearm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneintheory View Post
yeah, nobody's arguing that. he's asking about a gun for carry, not the best possible strategy for defending himself. so tell me how a lack of combat experience precludes me from offering good advice on a choice of carry weapon? it doesn't. it precludes me from offering advice on what to do if you're in a situation in which you have to draw and use your carry weapon, and you'll note that i haven't done that. nor do i think anyone else has.
I'd take your advice well over those guys that are typing about "oh, you're abilities will fade when ya've been through what I have... try getting shot at, blah blah...". If they really had an epiphany the first time they were shot at, they wouldn't be trying to imply anything via their posts here. Likely posers...
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 06:35 PM   #90
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Ford Edge Sport

no no no. i don't want to imply at ALL that i think my advice is more or less valuable than anyone else's here. they're certainly right about the fact that things change when you actually have to use your weapon. there's so much truth there. it's just apples and oranges. by no means do i consider myself an expert or anything. i just take it seriously. you'd not find me offering any advice on shooting strategies or combat strategies, as i have no expertise and no right to do so. i just don't feel like you need combat experience to recommend a choice of handgun. you just need experience with handguns.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 06:38 PM   #91
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Quote:
yeah, nobody's arguing that. he's asking about a gun for carry, not the best possible strategy for defending himself. so tell me how a lack of combat experience precludes me from offering good advice on a choice of carry weapon? it doesn't. it precludes me from offering advice on what to do if you're in a situation in which you have to draw and use your carry weapon, and you'll note that i haven't done that. nor do i think anyone else has.
It has nothing to do with your ability to recommend a good gun. Where your thought process gets derailed is equating 2-3 training hours a week to proper preparation for an armed encounter. Clearly, it's better than nothing, but you haven't detailed what you spend your 2-3 hours on. Is it all shooting? Or do you include room clearing? Scenario based training? Force on force training? Legal aspects of a shooting. There's more to this than punching holes in paper.

It just seems that what you meant was 2-3 hours a week gives you credibility to help him choose a gun, not how to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #92
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Ford Edge Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
It has nothing to do with your ability to recommend a good gun. Where your thought process gets derailed is equating 2-3 training hours a week to proper preparation for an armed encounter. Clearly, it's better than nothing, but you haven't detailed what you spend your 2-3 hours on. Is it all shooting? Or do you include room clearing? Scenario based training? Force on force training? Legal aspects of a shooting. There's more to this than punching holes in paper.

It just seems that what you meant was 2-3 hours a week gives you credibility to help him choose a gun, not how to use it.
that's all i meant. i want to make that exceptionally clear. i don't know how to make it any clearer without repeating myself, so i won't. not an expert. by no means do i think that 2-3 hours a week makes me some sort of expert on armed encounters. that's just the minimum amount of time i'm comfortable with in training for EDC. myself. personally. that doesn't translate to what i think anyone else should do, it's just what i do. and i don't want to derail the thread any more than i already have, so i'd be glad to PM if there are any further questions. sorry for any confusion i caused.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 06:43 PM   #93
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
no no no. i don't want to imply at ALL that i think my advice is more or less valuable than anyone else's here. they're certainly right about the fact that things change when you actually have to use your weapon. there's so much truth there. it's just apples and oranges. by no means do i consider myself an expert or anything. i just take it seriously. you'd not find me offering any advice on shooting strategies or combat strategies, as i have no expertise and no right to do so. i just don't feel like you need combat experience to recommend a choice of handgun. you just need experience with handguns.
Seems like we misunderstood you. Sorry.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 06:45 PM   #94
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

So, back on track. Buy the best gun you can afford, and don't be afraid to look at used provided you can verify its in good serviceable condition.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 09:16 PM   #95
thetedderbear
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fiesta ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital.James View Post
99% of the people in this thread probably shoots less then 1 hour a month, and probably never drawn on a person or shot a person. careful, of their advice.
I used to shoot roughly 6 hours a week minimum. Sometimes up to 15 hours a week. Mostly shotguns, but I've had my share of pistol shooting, and some rifle.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 10:30 PM   #96
thetedderbear
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fiesta ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
Get this and call it a day...
Amen!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 11:02 PM   #97
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GT4, Raptor.2, Tuono 1100F

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post
I'm sure there's an interesting story behind those thoughts. What does it have to do with suggesting a concealable firearm?

I'd take your advice well over those guys that are typing about "oh, you're abilities will fade when ya've been through what I have... try getting shot at, blah blah...". If they really had an epiphany the first time they were shot at, they wouldn't be trying to imply anything via their posts here. Likely posers...
you logic is completely flawed as well. sorry, but a guy who posts that you have to have a .40 or a .45 blah blah blah is wrong, and it's wrong because he's inexperienced. i'll take something small, easily pulled, and accurate any time over some guy with a .40 S&W trying to sound hard on e90post. i've run into so many people time and time again say the same crap. while 20 years ago it may have been true, with modern self defense ammo, a .380 or 9mm can provide as much, to use the term you novices use, "stopping power". to make myself clear... choosing a gun and using a gun is one and the same. you choose the right tool for the job.

oh and with 6 tours in iraq and afghanistan, i think i have some room to speak on the matter.

Last edited by Digital.James; 10-23-2011 at 11:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 11:33 PM   #98
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

all this gun talk is making my trigger finger itch. can't wait to get out and kill some ducks, and maybe a deer, this winter. i use a bigger stick for that though.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 09:31 AM   #99
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
Get this and call it a day...
In a perfect world... The actually carry these in Munich. Cool as hell IMO.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 09:37 AM   #100
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post

What exactly are you trying to say here? I'll give you the opportunity to clarify that statement.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 12:21 PM   #101
ScaredOnce
Very Important
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi (e92)

Garage List
Quote:
What exactly are you trying to say here? I'll give you the opportunity to clarify that statement.

I think obviously something a little more benign than how it may have been taken. Appreciative of the offer to clarify, so I'll attempt...

For the advice requested, specifically on choosing a given firearm over another, be wary of prioritizing advice from persons who seem to imply through obvious chest-thumping or otherwise that they're the authority due to their personal experience which may be very different than the expected experience of the other party. Further, I've found that those willing to share certain types of experiences openly with near strangers should be taken with a grain of salt.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #102
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

Ok, that sounds reasonable, but I haven't seen any obvious chest thumping here (At least not in this thread). I am not taking your statement personally, so keep that in mind while reading the rest of what I have to say here.

Some of us have quite a bit of relevant experience regarding the selection of use of a handgun, and because of that experience we feel that it is important to correct some obvious fallacies regarding that choice. As an enthusiast and a professional, I have helped litterally hundreds of people (Maybe thousands) through this process, and the last thing anyone wants is to be saddled with a firearm that is not appropriate to the shooter or the mission. It's an expensive and very personal choice, and it needs to be taken seriously.

The best advice here is to find a gun that is comfortable in your hand, that you can shoot (or learn to shoot) with reasonable accuracy and then educate yourself on all the aspects of purchasing/owning/shooting/using in self defense of said firearm.

It does not matter that someone spends 20 hours a week behind a shotgun practicing a specific skill. Little if any of that experience translates to armed encounters against another human being. Nor does 6 hours a week behind your new handgun.

Those of us with experience in this arena cannot abide bad information going out no matter how well intentioned, and frankly anyone who takes advice only from an anonymous online forum regarding this type of purchase is an idiot. That is why I have been so vocal about many of the other things to consider, and I expect that James feels the same way.

Lastly, there is no implication that I have significant experience in this area. It is an outright statement. I have spent my entire career working with people to keep them alive during armed encounters and if any of my experience can help the OP make a sound decision, I am satisfied. Gun ownership is serious business and carrying a firearm even more so.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #103
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

bump

does anyone here have any recommendations as far as a cheap 40 cal ammo? maybe something that wal-mart sells and won't jam in 1 second?
      01-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #104
The Ghost of Tom Joad
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B744

remington UMC ammo. available in bulk, cheaper than a lot of ammo on the shelves, and not cheap quality. i would never advise someone to shoot low quality budget ammo like through a handgun unless you like misfires, sparks, and bad powder burns.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #105
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

cheap and reliable usually don't go together when it comes to ammo. Dont buy Blaser aluminum, and I wouldn't even buy their brass stuff. Black hills, winchester and remington are all solid manufacturers, but I care more about reliability than cost, so I might not be of great help here. Sellier and Belloit make good affordable ammo that I have used in our range program for years. Cheaper than the others listed , but only good for training or zombies.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #106
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghost of Tom Joad View Post
remington UMC ammo. available in bulk, cheaper than a lot of ammo on the shelves, and not cheap quality. i would never advise someone to shoot low quality budget ammo like through a handgun unless you like misfires, sparks, and bad powder burns.
Quote:
cheap and reliable usually don't go together when it comes to ammo. Dont buy Blaser aluminum, and I wouldn't even buy their brass stuff. Black hills, winchester and remington are all solid manufacturers, but I care more about reliability than cost, so I might not be of great help here. Sellier and Belloit make good affordable ammo that I have used in our range program for years. Cheaper than the others listed , but only good for training or zombies.
That's good advice guys... I have a completely different clip with top quality ammo as far as protection. I am going to Mississippi this weekend and we are going to a range since there is not much else to do there... I just want something cheap that I can unload in my Taurus into targets. I've bought too cheap before and it straight up sucked... what is a good price to pay for a 50 pack? Under $20?
      01-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #107
The Ghost of Tom Joad
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B744

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q4P View Post
That's good advice guys... I have a completely different clip with top quality ammo as far as protection. I am going to Mississippi this weekend and we are going to a range since there is not much else to do there... I just want something cheap that I can unload in my Taurus into targets. I've bought too cheap before and it straight up sucked... what is a good price to pay for a 50 pack? Under $20?
well i know they sell what they call 'mega packs' for around $80 for 250 rounds. if you're gonna go out in the woods and shoot some shit, bring enough ammo for the amount of beer you're bringing. that's what i always do.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 03:52 PM   #108
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghost of Tom Joad View Post
well i know they sell what they call 'mega packs' for around $80 for 250 rounds. if you're gonna go out in the woods and shoot some shit, bring enough ammo for the amount of beer you're bringing. that's what i always do.
lol i'll look into that
      01-26-2012, 10:35 PM   #109
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
Wait... so if you can't have it in your car...how the hell are you suppose to take it to the range?

You know, for those who have supercars with no trunks....
Or the rare and seldom seen pickup truck
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 11:37 PM   #110
vzehler
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

I carry the sig p229 but I also love the ruger lcp..
Appreciate 0