BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

10-01-2011, 10:58 PM   #1
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

What does the dealer do to "prep" a car

So I am wondering what kind of detail the dealer does to "prep" a car before new car delivery? Is it some kind of glaze or something?

I also want to know how long after you get the car should you put a porter cable to it and polish the paint yourself with a good iniital first detail. Then wax etc.??
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
mikenap
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 M3(sold) :(

Usually it will consist of everything in their power to jack it up and make it look 5-years old right off the bat. Don't let a dealer near your car.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Don't let a dealership mess with it.

Either do it yourself or take it to someone who knows what they are doing. Like Mike up above me
      10-03-2011, 04:56 PM   #4
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

I don't know guys, I've seen some dealers restore some cars and put them into condition that looked like new, smelled new, they even were able to hide some things...
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 08:58 PM   #5
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
I don't know guys, I've seen some dealers restore some cars and put them into condition that looked like new, smelled new, they even were able to hide some things...
Very few and far between. The history of people here who have had experience with their dealerships on detailing their cars has been pretty bleak. Most of the time the dealership is just going to do the bare minimum but still charge an arm and leg for it.

I think they just hire kids to take it out back and wash/wax it, but that's just me being cynical
      10-04-2011, 12:25 AM   #6
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

DAY 1

end of story

dealership will glaze it up and make it look good from afar, but if you look close, you will see the real damage.

The paint on the new car is already cured, so polish it right away if you want to...heck, I do work for a dealership on occassion (usually the managers cars and some higher profile new car preps) and I do it before they are sold!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #7
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

Please don't let the dealer touch the car. Ask formdelivery with the paint protection stickers still on it if you can. Do a "proper" detail the minute you bring the car home... If you want to.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 08:52 AM   #8
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I can vouch for this. Got swirl marks on my brand new vehicle. Derp.
      10-04-2011, 09:08 AM   #9
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Very few and far between. The history of people here who have had experience with their dealerships on detailing their cars has been pretty bleak. Most of the time the dealership is just going to do the bare minimum but still charge an arm and leg for it.

I think they just hire kids to take it out back and wash/wax it, but that's just me being cynical

I think we are talking about two different things, you are talking about dealer service offering like detailing to owners.

In my head, I was thinking of the prep jobs they do to the used cars they get.

I obviously agree, dealer services to owners that include car wash, lot boys wipe down, or generic services will often leave you with undesired results.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 09:27 AM   #10
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
I think we are talking about two different things, you are talking about dealer service offering like detailing to owners.

In my head, I was thinking of the prep jobs they do to the used cars they get.

I obviously agree, dealer services to owners that include car wash, lot boys wipe down, or generic services will often leave you with undesired results.
Even looking at it as two different services, I think you'll get the same results: swirls on your paint. Sure it might look good from far away sitting on a showroom floor in bad lighting, but if you get up close and examine it with a decent light you'll see the damage.

Much better to take it to a real detailer after you get it. I would always decline the "new car prep" services they offer.

In addition, I've had varying experiences on a few dealerships on the east coast. I've been in dealerships up near Philly, in VA, and now in NC. When I first stopped by, I asked about a good detailing spot and they tried to push their "services" on me. I respectfully declined and waited a while. After getting to know a few of the people, they realized I was looking for something good and I was a good guy and recommended a few places away from the dealerships.
      10-04-2011, 10:02 AM   #11
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenap View Post
Usually it will consist of everything in their power to jack it up and make it look 5-years old right off the bat. Don't let a dealer near your car.
+1

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 10:40 AM   #12
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScheerSpeed View Post
Please don't let the dealer touch the car. Ask formdelivery with the paint protection stickers still on it if you can. Do a "proper" detail the minute you bring the car home... If you want to.
Will a dealer actually allow that? That would be cool to have it delivered to my house without it ever being touched.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 11:22 AM   #13
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Will a dealer actually allow that? That would be cool to have it delivered to my house without it ever being touched.
If specifically asked for yes, i have had some customers bring me their car with the vinyls still on it
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 11:28 AM   #14
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
If specifically asked for yes, i have had some customers bring me their car with the vinyls still on it
Interesting. I think I will be strongly considering that.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 02:20 AM   #15
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
That is what I did with both my M3's I told the dealer if they washed or cleaned my car or removed any of the shipping plastic I would not buy it. The dealer honoured my request and I got untouched cars. The Dealer GM personally kept the keys to my current car so no one had access to even move it without him knowing.
      10-08-2011, 02:50 AM   #16
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

Here is a dealer prep from a dealership that I got to correct..."PITEEFULL" lol

Needless to say, unless the dealerships are going to start training their detailers properly, or allowing PRO detailers to perform the new car preps (available upon request from most dealerships (afterall, they want to make the client happy and make the sale)), dealerships will always have a piss poor track record of being able to detail properly! I have had other car owners tell me the dealership SA told them "swirl marks and buffer trails are nowmal for black cars, you cant get rid of them"...GTFO!!!!!

Befores:

After I was done 8 hours later:

(blue tape is still on because that was before cleaning the paint and before waxing - after all polishing steps were performed! I didnt know how much longer it the sun would be out/how long it would take to clean up the car to get afters.)
Appreciate 0