BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM

08-12-2011, 02:01 PM   #67
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

I was surprised that bgr actually seemed to give it a decent review. Of course, he threw some typical BGR stuff in the conclusion, but in the meat of the article, he actually acknowledged some positives. This is new for him (he's been schlobbing Jobs' knob for a while now).

Overall, it's what we expected. It's fast hardware running a legacy OS. The WebKit browser works nicely even though real estate is limited. The no AF thing is getting some people pretty riled up though. Dunno why they didn't include that (supposedly had to do with space savings, but this is a load of bullshit). App space is limited, but that doesn't really matter on a platform with such a limited number of decent/useful apps anyway. This line of phones will definitely get them through to their QNX releases, provided that actually happens some time in 2012.

They're apparently looking into acquiring Dropbox now. That would be interesting. They've been working pretty hard on getting pieces of a puzzle together so that they'll be competitive soon, and that would be a pretty big one.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 02:53 PM   #68
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

i'm underwhelmed with the finished product...I was hoping the 9900 would keep me on the BB/RIM team...but this phone is about 2, maybe 1 year late. The "crippled" cam phone was the final straw...waited this long for a BB to at least be on the same level as it's competitors and they still couldn't get it right. I'll be waiting for the ip5 to be released before I make my final decision..but it doesn't look good for RIM.

here's the cb cam review/comparison

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-bol...era-comparison
      08-12-2011, 03:16 PM   #69
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Fortunately, IDGAF about the camera. However, I can see why it would upset people who do use that feature.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 12:46 AM   #70
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Fortunately, IDGAF about the camera. However, I can see why it would upset people who do use that feature.
vzw release 8/15

http://crackberry.com/verizon-wirele...ntent=FaceBook

some and some won't give a gaf about the cam feature, for me I do as I don't want to regret nor want to feel the need to only shoot with my d-slr or hate that my wife's ip4 is taking FAR better pics than mine, yet technically my phone is supposed to be on the same tier as hers (we both use our phone cams often) With other phone brands in the same tier about to drop newer devices and improved features...this top tier bb will be outdated by the end of q4 leaving all the BB faithful's salivating for qnx phones to be released...waited this long for the bb bold touch and rim drops the ball, given that track record their qnx phones will most likely do the same..it's hard to stay faithful to a brand/company that keeps missing the mark....
      08-13-2011, 01:17 AM   #71
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Camera phones are meant to take a picture of something. Cameras take photographs. As long as I can make out what it was I took a picture of, I'm content. My razr from like 8 years ago took good enough pictures for a phone. No photographer is going to use their phone as a substitute for snapshots.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 09:49 AM   #72
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Camera phones are meant to take a picture of something. Cameras take photographs. As long as I can make out what it was I took a picture of, I'm content. My razr from like 8 years ago took good enough pictures for a phone. No photographer is going to use their phone as a substitute for snapshots.
Well I guess the big problem is documents. Apparently, a lot of people take pics and make them into PDFs. The macro feature combined with no AF on these phones makes that almost impossible. Otherwise, pics seem to be OK. A lot of people are bitching about the camera sucking without having knowledge of what situation it really sucks at. So far, from what I can tell, it seems to only be those close-up shots. That's enough for a lot of people to be pissed, but I think a lot of people are getting pissed about the camera without understainding whether or not they'll even run into problems with it.

Is it a pretty big issue? Yes. Will it affect as many people as are complaining about it (pre-purchase no less)? No. However, RIM could have been more straightforward about why they didn't include AF. Their excuse was it wouldn't fit due to the thinness. Well, the iP4 and others are thinner, and they have AF cameras. Bad form IMO. RIM got so used to a rabid customer base that would eat out of their hands, no matter what they were presenting. They don't have that luxury anymore, but they still seem to approach stuff like this as if they do.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 11:28 AM   #73
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep

Quote:
for a photag perhaps..but for the gen public, their cam phone is their main tool for capturing images...I take pics when I don't have my d-slr on me, but I'd rather not regret not having a better cam phone nor carrying my d-slr with me all the time when i want to take a pic of my kid, dog, car, or whatever I feel the need to any given moment...

what you are eluding too is personal wants/needs/preferences...unfortunately...most BB users were hoping for a model that would be comparable to other brands on all levels and specs including the camera, not just processor and browsing experience.

and a self touted "business phone" that cannot provide a clear picture/scan of a document is moronic.

agreed regarding RIM's failed attempt to state the lack of cam quaility was for size and space design...I hate excuses.

sigh..what to do..

Last edited by geneatals; 08-13-2011 at 11:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 08:56 AM   #74
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Way to kill sales on this new Bold 9900 by disabling these important features on the new Bold 9900.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/08...-key-features/
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 09:04 AM   #75
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Not on T-Mobile, but not a deal breaker for me. I don't even know what you use Wi-fi calling for or what UMA is. As long I can call/email/text with the reliability and ease of my current Bold, I'm good. If not, I'll stock up on Bold 9700s which should be going for cheap.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 09:09 AM   #76
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Not on T-Mobile, but not a deal breaker for me. I don't even know what you use Wi-fi calling for or what UMA is. As long I can call/email/text with the reliability and ease of my current Bold, I'm good. If not, I'll stock up on Bold 9700s which should be going for cheap.

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-...le/blackberry/

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 09:14 AM   #77
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yup, don't use.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 09:23 AM   #78
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep
Drives: Bandwagon

B it is probably almost time for you to replace your battery. I just bought a new one for mine. It was like buying a new phone. The thing actually holds a charge and lasts as long as it did when I bought it. Before I made the switch, it was getting pretty bad.
      08-17-2011, 09:25 AM   #79
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

The hotspot is a software fix that is supposed to be coming relatively soon. Also, why blame RIM for honoring carrier requests? RIM doesn't make the call of what features to neuter; the carrier does. One thing Crapple can do that no one else can do is implement whatever the fuck they want and the carriers just have to deal with it because it's such a cash cow anyway.

Carriers suck ass in general. It was funny to see what AT&T had done to absolutely fuck up Android 2.X releases with bloatware and restrictions back when they had the exclusivity of the iPhone. I don't know if AT&T has gotten any less fucktarded about that stuff since last time I checked, but I can't fucking stand carriers in general.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 09:28 AM   #80
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep

no NFC on the 9930 as of yet either...but the NFC capability will be carrier depentdent as well. The 9930 is equipped to have NFC, just not activated, so looks like you'll have to wait for a software update to get it going....
      08-17-2011, 09:31 AM   #81
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneatals View Post
no NFC on the 9930 as of yet either...but the NFC capability will be carrier depentdent as well. The 9930 is equipped to have NFC, just not activated, so looks like you'll have to wait for a software update to get it going....
Supposedly the NFC is fine at a very basic level right now, meaning it's not 100% finished but functional anyway. Carriers are disabling it until they can figure out how to turn it into more $. I shit you not.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 11:13 AM   #82
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGP View Post
B it is probably almost time for you to replace your battery. I just bought a new one for mine. It was like buying a new phone. The thing actually holds a charge and lasts as long as it did when I bought it. Before I made the switch, it was getting pretty bad.
Mine still works great...but I do have a spare battery for when the times comes
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 05:42 PM   #83
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Supposedly the NFC is fine at a very basic level right now, meaning it's not 100% finished but functional anyway. Carriers are disabling it until they can figure out how to turn it into more $. I shit you not.
looks like you can upload the new leaked os7 version to get the nfc working...for sure it's carrier dependent to see how they can milk it for $.

still on the fence on this vs. the ip5, but reviews and threads on crackberry's 9900/9930 section have helped pushed me to think I should stay with BB, especially since I'm very reliant on emails and messaging on my mobile device. The camera thing seems to have been blown out of proportion for the most part, as it may not take i-4 quality pics, it does take pics to get the job down....I'll wait til both are released and I'm able to have one in hand to see what my next mobile device will be....