BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-13-2015, 06:13 PM   #1
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Major Maintenance! Fluids and Oil. Will these work?

Hi,

I am brand new to M3post! I just picked up a brand new to me 2008 E90 M3 with 56k miles! Vehicle is originally from out of province (i live in Canada) and unfortunately I do not have detailed service records for the car. All i know is that up until the time it was for sale, all servicing was done and inspected at a certified BMW stealership.

Since I have NO clue what is due for a change and what is not, i have decided to change basically EVERYTHING so i know its done! Here are some things i'll be doing:

Spark Plugs - NGK oem spec'ed
Brake Fluid - Motul RBF600 (Will also install SS lines)
Engine Oil - M1 0w-40, for summer I'll switch it out for TWS 10w-60 (or a mixture of, doesn't get too hot here in Canada)
Power Steering Fluid - Pentosin CHF 11S
Coolant - OEM

NOW, the two fluid that i am not sure about is the Manual Transmission Fluid and Differential fluid.

I am probably going to go for the Motul Gear 300 75w90 for the tranny and Motul Gear Competition 75W140. I have never used Motul Tranny/diff fluid before, but i have had excellent results with their engine oil (the 300V particularly for track). Motul is a very renown brand for quality oil and fuilds, just don't know if any one of you guys have had experience with their fluids in the tranny and diff?

Also, IF i decide to go with OEM tranny/diff fluid, i have search and read mixed opinions as to put in the regular fluid, or one with Friction Modified. The friction modified one is of course HORRID in terms of pricing. But if it is the best, then gotta pay to play

SO, my biggest concern is what tranny fluid and diff fluid to use. Anyone used Motul before and if so, what are your experiences? On the road, and track?

Prefer not to use Royal Purple (i know some swear by it), but just personal preference + heard too many bad things. Will personally steer clear from it. Redline is also a good brand, however, again, have heard mixed reviews.

Lastly, any preventative maintenance items I can do to keep my vehicle in tip top shape? Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

Thank you very much!
08' E90 M3 6MT - DD
13' W212 E63 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 07:14 PM   #2
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

I just replaced my transmission fluid with redline ATF and it shifts great, much smoother than the oil stuff which was in before. As for diff oil, I have only used oem (which yes, is ridiculously pricy).
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 01:31 AM   #3
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
I just replaced my transmission fluid with redline ATF and it shifts great, much smoother than the oil stuff which was in before. As for diff oil, I have only used oem (which yes, is ridiculously pricy).
Thanks! Problem is, some people went with the Friction Modified Diff fluid, some don't. No on seems to have a clear consensus as to which one is better, or which on is more suitable for which type of driving etc.

I will be DD'ing my car most of the time with probably 3-4 HPDE per year. Even if i do track it however, i probably won't push my car 100% because the M3 will be more car than i can handle for sure

I'd rather push and trash my Integra Type R which i primarily use for the track! Anyways! Thanks!
08' E90 M3 6MT - DD
13' W212 E63 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 02:56 AM   #4
Gumulri
Captain
South Korea
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i convertible[sold]

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaede View Post
Thanks! Problem is, some people went with the Friction Modified Diff fluid, some don't. No on seems to have a clear consensus as to which one is better, or which on is more suitable for which type of driving etc.

I will be DD'ing my car most of the time with probably 3-4 HPDE per year. Even if i do track it however, i probably won't push my car 100% because the M3 will be more car than i can handle for sure

I'd rather push and trash my Integra Type R which i primarily use for the track! Anyways! Thanks!
I always wanted buy a Integra Type R when I was in high school but could not afford it.
2014 toyota Fj cruiser 4x4 for me
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 04:03 AM   #5
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumulri View Post
I always wanted buy a Integra Type R when I was in high school but could not afford it.
lol. get one now, never too late. its a high school dream car that will not disappoint =') won't regret it.
08' E90 M3 6MT - DD
13' W212 E63 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 06:06 AM   #6
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Isnt the diff fluid with friction modifier recommended for M cars? Thats what I put in mine. Its expensive but then again its something you only replace every 30k miles or so.

You could always use a high quality non-oem brand like Redline which will probably save you some money and work just as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 09:07 AM   #7
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaede View Post
Hi,

I am brand new to M3post! I just picked up a brand new to me 2008 E90 M3 with 56k miles! Vehicle is originally from out of province (i live in Canada) and unfortunately I do not have detailed service records for the car. All i know is that up until the time it was for sale, all servicing was done and inspected at a certified BMW stealership.

Since I have NO clue what is due for a change and what is not, i have decided to change basically EVERYTHING so i know its done! Here are some things i'll be doing:

Spark Plugs - NGK oem spec'ed
Brake Fluid - Motul RBF600 (Will also install SS lines)
Engine Oil - M1 0w-40, for summer I'll switch it out for TWS 10w-60 (or a mixture of, doesn't get too hot here in Canada)
Power Steering Fluid - Pentosin CHF 11S
Coolant - OEM

NOW, the two fluid that i am not sure about is the Manual Transmission Fluid and Differential fluid.

I am probably going to go for the Motul Gear 300 75w90 for the tranny and Motul Gear Competition 75W140. I have never used Motul Tranny/diff fluid before, but i have had excellent results with their engine oil (the 300V particularly for track). Motul is a very renown brand for quality oil and fuilds, just don't know if any one of you guys have had experience with their fluids in the tranny and diff?

Also, IF i decide to go with OEM tranny/diff fluid, i have search and read mixed opinions as to put in the regular fluid, or one with Friction Modified. The friction modified one is of course HORRID in terms of pricing. But if it is the best, then gotta pay to play

SO, my biggest concern is what tranny fluid and diff fluid to use. Anyone used Motul before and if so, what are your experiences? On the road, and track?

Prefer not to use Royal Purple (i know some swear by it), but just personal preference + heard too many bad things. Will personally steer clear from it. Redline is also a good brand, however, again, have heard mixed reviews.

Lastly, any preventative maintenance items I can do to keep my vehicle in tip top shape? Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

Thank you very much!
Welcome! Looks like you are well on your way to a great ownership. I do the exact same things you do. The only thing I'd recommend on top of that would be to check your air filter. Mine get filthy (not to mention covered in leaves) when I do mountain runs.

In terms of diff, stick with OEM with friction modifier. Yes it's expensive, but it just works. I unfortunately spilled some, and I thought to myself that was a steak dinner right there

As for the trans, I stuck with OEM, but I've read people are very happy with Redline too. I run that stuff in my E36 though.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2015, 06:11 AM   #8
zedcar
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Rear end/gearbox oil

Came across your post and had done the same research some time ago. The origin of the attachments I can't credit I'm sorry, but very useful none the less. FM booster is the prudent choice I'd suggest. Might debate that the additional cost is not justified to prevent a problem that may not occur, but the later bulletin 330211 I'd take to be the current factory guidance for M cars.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Z4 Rear Axle TIS 330102.pdf (32.8 KB, 1159 views)
File Type: pdf Z4 etc. Operating Fluids - Complete.pdf (737.7 KB, 632 views)
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 07:12 PM   #9
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep

Seems like i will just stick with OEM Diff Oil + FM then pricey for just 1.5L of fluid
08' E90 M3 6MT - DD
13' W212 E63 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 07:14 PM   #10
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Welcome! Looks like you are well on your way to a great ownership. I do the exact same things you do. The only thing I'd recommend on top of that would be to check your air filter. Mine get filthy (not to mention covered in leaves) when I do mountain runs.

In terms of diff, stick with OEM with friction modifier. Yes it's expensive, but it just works. I unfortunately spilled some, and I thought to myself that was a steak dinner right there

As for the trans, I stuck with OEM, but I've read people are very happy with Redline too. I run that stuff in my E36 though.
Thanks!! I am going to replace the filter with the Active Autowerke Green Filter =) read and heard only good things from this forum regarding it especially the build quality.

Thanks!
08' E90 M3 6MT - DD
13' W212 E63 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 08:06 PM   #11
Hi Rev V8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 SGM 6MT

Welcome.

Go to a local BMW dealer and ask them to run a check on your car. When I was buying my M3 the owner had all the service records for the car after the warranty period ended, but did not have records of maintenance and warranty work done by the dealer. We went to the BMW Store on 5th Ave in Vancouver, and they printed out a list of all service work and warranty work done on the car. The car had been properly serviced, and the only warranty issue was with the power door locks. They were most helpful.

Everyone has a different view on the "correct" fluids.

I use Castrol TWS 10W60, Pentosin MTF-2, Motul 5.1, Pentosin CHF 11s, and the BMW diff fluid with friction modifier.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 11:19 AM   #12
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Rev V8 View Post
Welcome.

Go to a local BMW dealer and ask them to run a check on your car.
Everyone has a different view on the "correct" fluids.

I use Castrol TWS 10W60, Pentosin MTF-2, Motul 5.1, Pentosin CHF 11s, and the BMW diff fluid with friction modifier.
Noted! Will visit BMW and see if they can get anything from me. Prior to buying the vehicle, I did bring it to AutoWest BMW in Richmond for inspection and it came back clean.

As for fluids, ya, i will just pay more to get the OEM bmw diff oil + FM. Thank you!
08' E90 M3 6MT - DD
13' W212 E63 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 10:41 PM   #13
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

I used Redline MTF for the transmission. A Redline rep told me that Redline ATF might have been a better choice
      01-30-2015, 06:21 AM   #14
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post
I used Redline MTF for the transmission. A Redline rep told me that Redline ATF might have been a better choice
On the redline website you you enter the E9x info it recommends the ATF.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 12:54 PM   #15
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep

I have decided to go with Motul Gear 300 for the Transmission and OEM Diff Oil + FM for the Diff. Will let you guys know how it is with the Motul Manual transmission fluid!!
08' E90 M3 6MT - DD
13' W212 E63 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 09:39 PM   #16
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post
On the redline website you you enter the E9x info it recommends the ATF.
ATF D4 is the closest to oem. Im running MTL now but it's at the end of its lifecycle and am swapping to ATF D4 tomorrow, along with Redline 0W-40.

I do agree also that redline shifted way better than oem fluid.
      02-04-2015, 09:54 PM   #17
Jonnykin
///M
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 JRZ BLK 6MT

*just noticed someone already said you can get the history. ... so +1 to that

If you bought your car out of province you can still get the history.

I bought mine in MB and the car was originally out of Calgary and they were able to give me the whole history as BMW keeps it all. If it was all done at a BMW dealer it should take them seconds.

I did the same thing you did. 08 with 77k KM and swapped everything out but the oil as it only had 3000 km on it so I left it.
Appreciate 0