BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

05-02-2013, 11:27 PM   #1
M3william
Enlisted Member
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2012 Mineral White E92 M3

Traction issues

Hello, this is my first thread here...

So I am having traction issues on a stock M3, and I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on how to improve traction.

When the car was bought new, it came with the useless Continentals (245 up front and 265 rear) and they would even break traction in 4th in a DCT. The car was really scary to redline, hard to go 6k+ rpm without invading lanes! So I changed the tires to 255 front and 295 rear PSS. While the car will hesitate to break traction 5.5k+ rpm on 3rd it is still not that nice. Everything was done on MDM, traction control off is not a good idea as you might imagine. It is also important to mention that I live in Monterrey, Mexico and that here the roads are made out of asphalt I think. (with the sun shining over it most of the day and cars going over it constantly, asphalt tends to go flat)

Suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep
Drives: Gray E92 M3

Your roads must be covered in dirt (not sure what flat asphalt is...). There is not reason the PSS 255/295 shouldn't be capable on a 414 hp, 295 torque car...

I have some bolt ons and running on 245/275 DWS (not by choice, came with car) and I can drop the car into 3rd and take off in 50 degree weather, no problem.

If you want sticker tires, get AD08s, RS3, Dirreza ZII, RE11s. AFter that, you are talking about track tires, the NT01s, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
M3william
Enlisted Member
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by happos2 View Post
Your roads must be covered in dirt (not sure what flat asphalt is...). There is not reason the PSS 255/295 shouldn't be capable on a 414 hp, 295 torque car...

I have some bolt ons and running on 245/275 DWS (not by choice, came with car) and I can drop the car into 3rd and take off in 50 degree weather, no problem.

If you want sticker tires, get AD08s, RS3, Dirreza ZII, RE11s. AFter that, you are talking about track tires, the NT01s, etc.
What I mean by flat asphalt is that is loses texture over time, and thanks for the suggestion!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Low speed traction is definitely an issue in the M3. That is the trade off for a more dynamic car while in motion. However, with PSS in stock size, I am only limited really in 1st gear, and slightly in second.

You have to learn how to drive the M3. Don't jab the throttle. Be more progressive in how you depress the accelerator and you won't have as many issues.

If you want a similar car that you can hammer mindlessly, get an RS4 or RS5. That is the AWD advantage. However, the steering will feel less responsive and the car just won't feel as nimble and "wired to your nervous system" as the M3.
      05-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
M3william
Enlisted Member
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
Low speed traction is definitely an issue in the M3. That is the trade off for a more dynamic car while in motion. However, with PSS in stock size, I am only limited really in 1st gear, and slightly in second.

You have to learn how to drive the M3. Don't jab the throttle. Be more progressive in how you depress the accelerator and you won't have as many issues.

If you want a similar car that you can hammer mindlessly, get an RS4 or RS5. That is the AWD advantage. However, the steering will feel less responsive and the car just won't feel as nimble and "wired to your nervous system" as the M3.
Yeah I'm not too intense with the throttle at a stand still, but the issue I'm talking about is being in 3rd WOT and the tail going all over the place! Thanks for the reply
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 10:34 PM   #6
atermechi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 MR

Either your roads are really shitty or your car isn't stock, the car isn't capable of that in stock form unless your tires are extremely bald.

Last edited by atermechi; 05-03-2013 at 10:51 PM..
Appreciate 0