BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW
View Poll Results: Add swift springs to H&R Coilovers ~$300 vs Investing in a new coiler setup ~$3K
Add Swift Springs 0 0%
New Coilover setup 1 100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

12-11-2023, 07:12 AM   #1
Macpsi
Private
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 m3 6mt

Garage List
1997 Eclipse GST  [0.00]
2002 Lexus IS300  [0.00]
2011 e92 M3  [0.00]
H&R Coilovers Adding Swift Springs

Looking for some guidance here -

I currently have a set of H&R Coilovers on my e92. They were on the car when I purchased the car, put roughly 40k miles on it since I've owned.

Since I've owned the car, it handles great, but I hear about the Ohlins/KW's and I know my comfort could be improved going that route. The H&Rs are a bit on the harsh side for me and my goals for the car. Eventually, I would like the occasional track day, but would prefer a more compliant street ride with the wife.

I saw this thread: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=921365

Endless619 mentioned that he's has used swift springs on his H&R coilovers and it improved. But didn't mention what set of swift springs that were used or spring rates so I could duplicate that setup.

I did some searching and a few users here mentioned the "spec r" swift springs on stock EDC suspension was good. However I'm not sure if those are sprung correctly for H&R coilovers or if I even need something sprung specifically for these dampeners/shocks..

My question(s) for you all,
Is adding swift springs even viable option truly?
If so, what swift springs should I specifically get, spring rates etc?
Are Ohlins/KW's worthy of the 3k plus investment vs the H&R's?

Currently, do not have the budget for Ohlins or KWs, but can eventually make the budget for them if they are that much better than the H&Rs would be with the swift springs. Looking at about ~$3,000 investment going that route vs ~$300 for springs.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 01:50 PM   #2
MineralWhiteF80
Dont listen to me
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82, E92 M3, G30 M550i, E46

There are a couple of things to identify first before knowing your options, but my first concern is:

If you have roughly 40,000 miles on those H&R coilovers plus however much the previous owner put on them, I would expect those dampers to be very tired, if not worn out by now and that may be adding to your ride quality concerns. Sadly, it's probably a better idea to replace the whole suspension and buy something new and revaluate your needs vs. budget. I think it's probably a waste of time to spend 300 dollars on new springs with that amount of mileage on your dampers. I couldn't find a damper rebuild mileage recommendation from H&R, but almost all coilover companies recommended mileage are far less than the amount of miles you have on your suspension (My Nitron dampers recommended rebuild interval is like 12,000~15,000 miles or something ridiculous).

If you are sure your dampers are in great shape, that your front H&R coilover springs are the same shape as an OEM spring, and that you are OK with converting the rear spring setup back to a fixed height lowering spring (ditching the coilover adjusters), then you could buy any lowering spring kit designed for the E9x chassis and see if they ride any better. You'd need to pull the part numbers off your H&R coilover springs and cross reference them to figure out what you're dealing with.

The problem you will likely find is that most OEM sized lowering springs have progressive spring rates (gets progressively stiffer as they compress) so you can't know how 'stiff' they actually are. The same thing goes for the H&R coilover springs. It's possible they are also progressive, so you dont know what range of spring rates the dampers were tuned for.

H&R coilovers do have a track record and stereotype of being on the harsher side and everyone's opinion on suspension ride quality varies WILDLY, so it's impossible to accept ride quality opinions from strangers. I think my Nitron coilovers that are almost 4 times stiffer than OEM springs ride really great.

edit: also.... if you are doing the labor yourself, you can always buy the e9x Swift springs, try to install, and if they work out great, if not, sell them at a little loss and then buy new suspension.
      12-13-2023, 01:27 AM   #3
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

I’d go for the new coilover option instead of adding new Swift springs to an H&R existing setup. Any ride improvements you might get with Swing linear rate springs will be masked by the harshness of the H&R dampers. KW V3 or 2-way clubsports will be far superior to H&R setup with Swift springs.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 08:30 AM   #4
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Another potential option:

Custom re-valve.
Flat Ride setup from FCM (Fat Cat Motorsports).

Appreciate 1
      12-13-2023, 05:13 PM   #5
Macpsi
Private
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 m3 6mt

Garage List
1997 Eclipse GST  [0.00]
2002 Lexus IS300  [0.00]
2011 e92 M3  [0.00]
Not going to quote every response here, but I appreciate the responses!

MineralWhiteF80 - I was planning to do the labor for each options minus the alignments. So I'd, be sunk the cost of the resale difference of the springs and the alignments. Leaning closer to the new coilover option with your response.

M3SQRD - yeah I figured it could be that way, and I knew I wouldn't be at the levels of those or the ohlins with just changing the springs on the coils.

TDot Can you elaborate a little more on that? I did a quick search on them and got back their website, but didn't see any options for that. They did look legitimate though. I just would like a little more information about that. What do they do, how much does it cost, any warranty on that option, how would it compare to ohlins/kw? :EDIT: actually found some useful info on the other informative place for these cars... But that did lack the answer for pricing, if you could PM me how much that rebuild cost I'd appreciate it. I did see that they do not offer warranty, so I'd need to know how often a rebuild is required.. It does seem interesting and many people seem to swear by their service vs other OTS kits.

Last edited by Macpsi; 12-14-2023 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: found some info
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 08:31 AM   #6
MineralWhiteF80
Dont listen to me
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82, E92 M3, G30 M550i, E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macpsi View Post
I was planning to do the labor for each options minus the alignments. So I'd, be sunk the cost of the resale difference of the springs and the alignments. Leaning closer to the new coilover option with your response.
Honestly, I wouldn't even consider doing an alignment if you were just swapping springs on your existing H&R dampers. Your alignment wouldn't change. When done correctly, you don't touch anything that would change your alignment (toe) specs, and if you have OEM top hats, you cant change caster or camber anyway. So, you'd just be out the cost difference of what yo buy and then sell the Swift springs for.

Like Tdott said, you can find someone to rebuild/revalve your existing dampers to whatever springs you have or choose. You can also call Inertia Laboratory in Texas and discuss your options with them- they do lots of suspension rebuilds for race cars, coilover setups, etc.

I've spoken with several places for rebuilds for my MCS, KW, and Nitron coilovers I have, and on average, places seem to charge 200-250 dollars per damper to rebuild (not including shipping, etc.).