BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

BPM

11-01-2008, 09:36 PM   #23
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
I am assuming what happened to the paint on the Z3 is paint adhering to the clear bra. Kinda putting a scotch tape on a piece of paper, and removing it; part of the paper peels off with the scotch tape. I will pass on the clear bra in the near future. Plus, the cost on having those clear bras is so astronomical; i heard somewhere between 1500 to 2k for a full hood, front bumper and mirrors.
not worth it.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2008, 11:16 PM   #24
White Shark
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 Civic (Non-ZCP)

from "what to install" to "not to install" ...
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 12:42 AM   #25
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Honestly, it all depends on what you want.

If you are anal about paint chips, get bra.

If you are only keeping your car for <3-5 years, get bra.

Otherwise, don't get it.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 12:59 AM   #26
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

I'd be interested to hear the background on that picture of the Z3. I had a clear bra on my E46. Best money I ever spent. When I took it off before selling it, the car looked pristine. The truck I had afterwards did not get a clear bra, and it showed. When buying my E92, there was absolutely no question that I was getting a clear bra.

I'm very happy with my ClearShield install so far, but I'll post a follow up in 6 months or so to see how it ages.
      11-02-2008, 01:03 AM   #27
inmotion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: where do I start?

My bra guys told me this would happen when putting a bra onto a cheap paint job.

On order: 2010 R8 V10
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 08:32 AM   #28
WKBRDR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

I've had a clear bra on my AW for about 6 months now. The company told me they use Venture shield. I did custom hood, bumper, fenders and mirrors. When I first had it done I had to have them redo the bumper/hood because of some installation issues. Well now the clear bra started to yellow and its noticeable on AW. I just made them redo the fenders only with a new version of the material but now you can now notice more the hood/bumper issues. I'm going to make them redo the hood/bumper again for it to match correctly. There were 0 issues with them taking off any of the clear bra. If it yellows one more time, I'm going to just take it off and leave it off, even though I love how it keeps the paint from getting rock chips.

-20% Tint/GP Thunder 8500k Bulbs/BMW Performance Pedals/AFE Air Filter/Eisenmann Race
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 09:57 AM   #29
BMWguy206
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '93 400E

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKBRDR View Post
I've had a clear bra on my AW for about 6 months now. The company told me they use Venture shield. I did custom hood, bumper, fenders and mirrors. When I first had it done I had to have them redo the bumper/hood because of some installation issues. Well now the clear bra started to yellow and its noticeable on AW. I just made them redo the fenders only with a new version of the material but now you can now notice more the hood/bumper issues. I'm going to make them redo the hood/bumper again for it to match correctly. There were 0 issues with them taking off any of the clear bra. If it yellows one more time, I'm going to just take it off and leave it off, even though I love how it keeps the paint from getting rock chips.
Dang 6 months and it's already starting to yellow. Just curious but did you do any type of care or maintenance like using a bra cleaner or polish?
      11-02-2008, 11:26 AM   #30
Nitromethane
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY09 e92 M3

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKBRDR View Post
Wow.

I've been talking with Premier on getting it installed on my car. That's not good if it's noticeable after only 6 months. Can anyone out there who has venture shield chime in with their experience over time??? Installing it on the WHOLE care for AW is not realistically feasible, however, at least the yellow would be throughout. And that's like ~ $5k.
      11-02-2008, 12:23 PM   #31
inmotion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitromethane View Post
Wow.

I've been talking with Premier on getting it installed on my car. That's not good if it's noticeable after only 6 months. Can anyone out there who has venture shield chime in with their experience over time??? Installing it on the WHOLE care for AW is not realistically feasible, however, at least the yellow would be throughout. And that's like ~ $5k.
I have it on my BW Gallardo and it looks fine after 2 years - the white's very similar to AW. But that's why I get the full hood and the whole fender clip so there is no cut off point. Ran me right under $2k for everything up to the doors.

I've also had the bra removed and replaced on some of my cars and never had any problems with paint damage like the Z3 up above. It's probably an Earl Scheibish type paint job. I've had my bra removed and replaced on the F430 and that was repainted by Premier in Culver City, no issues with that car as well.

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 02:49 PM   #32
WKBRDR
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I did full hood, fenders, mirrors and bumper.

You couldn't notice it looking at the car head on, but when I started noticing the difference between the door / fender. The door was white and the fenders were slightly off, slighlty yellowish, hard to describe but I could notice it well in different lights. I figured I would have them change the fenders first with the new material to see what it was like and I can now notice the slight difference between hood and fender seing it side by side.

The installer (in Phoenix) used a new version of the venture material than what was originally put on... so I'm hoping it won't happen again to the fenders. They are telling me they are using venture shield, but at the same time, how do I know for sure that they didn't use something else.... They are a seller of venture shield (on their website) and I requested it, but there is no way to tell for sure it's what they put on. I'm calling the installer back this week and I'm going to make them redo the hood, bumper and mirrors with this new material.

Any other comments from people with AW that had clear bra done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitromethane View Post
Wow.

-20% Tint/GP Thunder 8500k Bulbs/BMW Performance Pedals/AFE Air Filter/Eisenmann Race
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 03:19 PM   #33
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Venture Shield DOES NOT yellow. Yellowing was a defect present primarily in past 3M products. If you're bra is yellowing, then it's not Venture Shield, that much I know. As someone mentioned, Venture Shield doesn't have a clear coat. Reason being is that its one of the first clear bras to be treatable via a heat gun. By waving the heat gun over damaged areas of the Venture Shield, any visual defects will be removed. If you're bra is yellowing, definitely find out who your applicator is using. Venture Shield is expensive but its by far the most reliable and versatile clear bra I've seen to date, and I've seen many variations over the years.

Last edited by eclipsisNA; 11-02-2008 at 04:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 03:31 PM   #34
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Bra turning yellow b
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 03:37 PM   #35
White Shark
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 Civic (Non-ZCP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcellere View Post
If you're bra is yellowing, definitely find out who you're applicator is using. Venture Shield is expensive but its by far the most reliable and versatile clear bra I've seen to date, and I've seen many variations over the years.
Do you have any idea how easy it would be to remove the Venture Shield without damaging the surface of the paint?

Last edited by White Shark; 11-02-2008 at 08:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 04:46 PM   #36
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Shark View Post
Do you have any idea how easy it would be to remove the Venturashield without damaging the surface of the paint?
Meant to originally say "which brand your applicator is using." Its very easy to remove the bra. Requires a bit of elbow grease and some adhesive remover after the bra is removed but it comes off safely without causing a trace of damage. I removed a Venture Shield from the hood of my father's 08 M5. I kept the bra on the bumper to show contrast in the picture of what the paint looks like after 20,000+ miles and removal of the bra. This is what it looked like after I removed everything:

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 06:21 PM   #37
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

That pic also shows how beat up the film gets after 20,000 miles, and those marks show up more than if it was just a paint chip, IMO.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 06:49 PM   #38
ideliver
Major
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, E71 X6M, E46 M3

Garage List
2006 BMW E46 M3 'vert  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2011 BMW E92  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
Previously, I was in the "anti-clear bra camp." My previous black cars were 1999 Acura TL, 996, 03 M3 and MB S430.

I recently purchased a '08 M5...I decided to get a VentureShield...

I drove the car from the dealer to the installer (50 miles) and got a rock chip on the center of the hood on the way to the VS installer

The installer repaired it....but I still know it is there...

Having driven the car for 3 months...no rock chip since...the film is perfect...and the bugs just wipe off...

For maintanence...I use Zaino...and couldn't be happier....

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 06:59 PM   #39
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
That pic also shows how beat up the film gets after 20,000 miles, and those marks show up more than if it was just a paint chip, IMO.
Those marks can be erased by waving a heat gun over them for several minutes, as I mentioned earlier. A paint chip has to be filled and repainted, where the clear bra can be heated up and the problem is solved. As a pro detailer, I'm fanatical over little details like rock chips or other bruises on the front of the car. I would much rather have the clear bra (which I can fix at any time cost-free) than having to go through the respray process.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 07:58 PM   #40
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Didn't know you could repair it so easily. That change things.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 10:00 PM   #41
AZ Braguys
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

We are a 3M Clear Bra installer in Scottsdale, AZ and have done over 9000 installs over the past 7 years. It is fine to install a clear bra on a NEW car as soon as you take delivery of it. You can wash it after 24hrs and wax it whenever you want. We recommend our customers to keep the film waxed (at least once a month) to keep up the clarity of the clear coat and keep the film from discoloring plus it makes cleaning bugs off it easier.

Hope it helps, if you have any questions, please PM me and I would be happy to help you find a good installer wherever you are located.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 12:44 PM   #42
inmotion
Lieutenant
Rep

should not forego this if you like your car's appearance. If personal budget allows, do get get a whole hood done. You won't be able to tell if you get a company like premier to do it for you.

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 07:48 PM   #43
WKBRDR
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quick update on my clear bra situation on my AW coupe.

My full custom hood, bumper, fenders and mirrors started to discolor after 4 months. It was very noticible on the fenders. i had the installer replace the fenders only. Now I can notice the discoloring on the hood/bumper compared to the fender becuase the fender is new and clear. I was going to bring it in to make them redo the hood/bumper but my installer talked to the manufacture (venture shield) and they said because of the type of paint that is used on the AW BMW's (and only the AW) that it for some reason discolors the film. He told me that they don't have a solution for it yet. My installer offered to take the clear bra off and give me a full refund, which is what I decided to do. So I am bra less now. I'll be picking it up tomorrow and will post how the car looks after the removal.

I'm not going to go with another material unless someone here with AW can convince me that they are not having discoloring problems on their AW after alteast 6 months of use... Any input from AW owners that had the clear bra done?

thanks

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 08:06 PM   #44
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Dude, your installed is a stand up guy. It's pretty unusualy now a days.
Appreciate 0