BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

05-22-2008, 12:38 AM   #1
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT

MDCT: Rough 1st gear engagement from a slow roll?

This is for people with experience driving DCT. Do any of you get a harsh engagement/start sometimes from a stop sign? The scenario I usually experience this in is when I'm coming to a stop sign and I sort of roll the stop sign then give it some gas in D3. I don't recall what gear the car is in as it's rolling, but some times it feels and sounds like the car is popping the clutch to quickly like in a MT.

Just wondering if others get the same thing. I think we need a separate DCT forum. Haha.

MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 12:41 AM   #2
Shade
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 AW F10 M5

Nope that didnt happen to me. the only thing that happens alot is ... theres a lag time (like .5 sec) from a complete stop to movement...

08 E92 M3 AW M-DCT

09 INDxRENN-SPEC Project GT-R
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 01:27 AM   #3
gorun
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: W166 ML63 PP

It is often noticeable when the DCT engages from second to first when coming to a stop. I suspect this is because of the low ratio of 1st. You will probably notice this in a torque converter auto if they went into first when stopping (most stick to 2nd unless in sport)
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 01:31 AM   #4
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Nope don't get that. I do very rarely get a very slight clunk from the clutch and an accompanying miniscule jerk when just about stopped as the clutch timing is just a hair off. As I have stated before this is VERY MINOR, very rare and barely noticable. Such small imperfections are noticeable when the tranny is so close to perfect. If you think these tiny imperfections are a huge deal you must ask yourself how many times would you have a similar tiny goof with a MT?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 01:32 AM   #5
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorun View Post
It is often noticeable when the DCT engages from second to first when coming to a stop. I suspect this is because of the low ratio of 1st. You will probably notice this in a torque converter auto if they went into first when stopping (most stick to 2nd unless in sport)
This may be the same thing I posted about just above. However, like I said this is quite rare for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 01:55 AM   #6
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Nope don't get that. I do very rarely get a very slight clunk from the clutch and an accompanying miniscule jerk when just about stopped as the clutch timing is just a hair off. As I have stated before this is VERY MINOR, very rare and barely noticable. Such small imperfections are noticeable when the tranny is so close to perfect. If you think these tiny imperfections are a huge deal you must ask yourself how many times would you have a similar tiny goof with a MT?
Actually what you're talking about is probably what I was attempting to describe also. I was just wondering if I'm the only one or not and if it's bad for the tranny when it does happen. I'm not worried about these things from an annoyance point of view ... I'm more worried if it's damaging the mechanics. You won't find anyone more pleased with DCT than me. Down shifts on the freeway are siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick.

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 11:17 AM   #7
icemang17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT

Guys.....there are going to be a few issues with the DCT..... that most likely will be solved with software upgrades later..... probably performed during routine service...So there is a slight hesitation off the line every once in a while......who cares.....
1989 Porsche 928S4 track beast!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 12:34 PM   #8
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemang17 View Post
Guys.....there are going to be a few issues with the DCT..... that most likely will be solved with software upgrades later..... probably performed during routine service...So there is a slight hesitation off the line every once in a while......who cares.....
Dude, nobody is complaining. It was just an observation that I wanted to confirm with other drivers.

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 04:17 AM   #9
Hammer
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW

you make test d2 or d1
Appreciate 0