BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

01-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #23
Omar@VelosDesignwerks
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Different Ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
There are so many good ones out there. I would suggest you do a little research on the forum and read through some of the members post and then you should be able to find out the best one that works for you.
Well said.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #24
youngvedder
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 e93 M3

happy with my evolve tune! Sal & co have been great and car feels much better.
      01-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #25
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
The only qualified non-biased answer would be someone that has tested every tune both on the dyno and in a real-world scenario. In the meantime, most people will chime in with the one they've purchased as being "the best".

Here's a recent thread with a bunch of dynos we've posted, all from various tuners:

400 RWHP Club?
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788241

There's even one with no tune inching towards the 400 club.

In a nutshell, there is no "best tune" as every scenario (engine condition, location, octane, build configuration, etc) and one's needs are usually different.
I agree with this. All the tunes seem very comparable in the gains they make. They also all seem similarly priced, apart from the occasional group buy. Check with AA, Velos, ESS, Evolve, BPM, OE Tuning, Bren Tuning, Epic, VFE and Vishnu for the best price at any one time.

There was a package deal recently for primary cat delete pipes plus a tune in the group buy or vendor section.

Gains have been reported from simply updating the software to the latest factory version, especially on older cars. This costs much less than a tune, but many of the tunes include the updated software. I would view those tunes as bang for the buck. I would also view tunes that include a laptop flash cable as bang for the buck; others charge additionally for a handheld flash device.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #26
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe

BPM is one of my favorite performance mods.
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #27
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

Everyone is going to say they make or purchased the best tune so do some research on each. Also another thing to consider is the technical support and experience that comes with the purchase of the tune.

With that said. We make the best tune available on the market with 100's sold and great customer feedback

Last edited by SflBimmer8484; 01-10-2013 at 09:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #28
VCMpower
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dakar, 2013 Fire Orange

All of my clients have been nothing short of amazed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke View Post
Everyone is going to say they make or purchased the best tune so do some research on each. Also another thing to consider is the technical support and experience that comes with the purchase of the tune.

With that said we make the best tune available on the market with 100's sold and great customer feedback
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #29
Longbow64
_______
Rep
Drives: 15 M3, 13 X3 35i MSport

Everyone offers very similar tunes and options to the tune. Some offer free updates, user map switching, etc, but all very similar between $800-$1000 at any given time. On the dynos you will see about a 8-12 hp increase on a stock car. The 30 hp increases are mainly a result of going catless. The features of the tune make that more tolerable (cold start delete, SES suppression). Don't get wrapped around the axle on how much hp am I making or will I be in the 400hp club. Each car, conditions, and dyno are different and factor into the resultant hp. When making your decision do some research on how active the sponsor is in the forum, how quickly and tactfully they respond to posts, and do your own assessment on customer service.
      01-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #30
hova00
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Iam always on the fence about a tune and decide against it for whatever reason.

I would like to try them all on the same day on the same dyno and see what the power differences are.

Any tuners out there up to the challenge?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #31
DopeM3
M Power
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hova00 View Post
Iam always on the fence about a tune and decide against it for whatever reason.

I would like to try them all on the same day on the same dyno and see what the power differences are.

Any tuners out there up to the challenge?
That would be perfect!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #32
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyooooJay View Post
That would be perfect!
doubt it... ill run after the 1st sponsor to tune my car..not even going to wait for the others...

on a serious note... i bet you probably wont be able to notice...
      01-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #33
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05
Quote:
That would be perfect!
doubt it... ill run after the 1st sponsor to tune my car..not even going to wait for the others...

on a serious note... i bet you probably wont be able to notice...
You'll notice. If you look around I've retuned quite a few cars.

If I were to pick from all of the offerings out there, I'd choose BPM or eVolve. Sal and I are friends and have pretty in depth tuning conversations. You'll be happy with either although I'm obviously biased towards BPM.

I bought my M3 brand new in 2008, its almost 5 years and 48K miles later and the car puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. Being that I live for this car, I know what everyone else would want out of it in situations from day to day driving to extreme track events

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #34
p-streets
M3NTAL
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3

The dinan ain't bad at all the car dose drive a lil better and you can noticed the power but what I been hearing about the bpm is all good but can't go wrong with the dinan either. But never had other tunes so can't compare them at a personal level
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #35
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

From customer service perspective from my own experience in interacting (or attempting to interact) with several tuners, ESS and Benvo were top notch.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #36
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Plenty of reviews on the forum,do your homework and go through them. Good Luck !
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 07:31 PM   #37
mazda3ndp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E9x M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
You'll notice. If you look around I've retuned quite a few cars.

If I were to pick from all of the offerings out there, I'd choose BPM or eVolve. Sal and I are friends and have pretty in depth tuning conversations. You'll be happy with either although I'm obviously biased towards BPM.

I bought my M3 brand new in 2008, its almost 5 years and 48K miles later and the car puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. Being that I live for this car, I know what everyone else would want out of it in situations from day to day driving to extreme track events
BPM retuned my car, I had a few other companies tunes... BPM is by far the best tune I have had!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #38
BuckRodgers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
There are so many tunes out there.. Dinan, EAS, BPM, Turners, etc etc..

What's the best tune for the price? Stage 1 and 2?
I would never base the purchase of the tune on my $20K motor on price. I would and did make my decision based on reputation and that was the ESS tune and im very happy with it. Like others have posted there are other options. For me I looked at what they were doing with the supercharger market and not only the volume of people who swear by the tuning but the projects like the 700+ cars that have been so impressive.

In the end my advice would be to buy a tune from the vendor you trust not just the one who has a promo sale going.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 10:06 PM   #39
dead ringer
09 M3 E90
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 E90 - DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckRodgers View Post
I would never base the purchase of the tune on my $20K motor on price. I would and did make my decision based on reputation and that was the ESS tune and im very happy with it. Like others have posted there are other options. For me I looked at what they were doing with the supercharger market and not only the volume of people who swear by the tuning but the projects like the 700+ cars that have been so impressive.
+1 .... Getting ACM test pipes & ESS tune this Friday
      01-10-2013, 07:18 AM   #40
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
If you take a vote on this forum, it will be unanimously BPM. Period. I've put off getting a tune for over five years, because I was not convinced a tune would give you any gain or added driveability. This was purely based on my experience with DMS when I had my E46 M3. It did nothing to enhance my driving pleasure.

After reading a lot on this forum, I was finally convinced BPM offered something different. I am a convert now ... just the entire process beginning from enquiry to the tuning ... it was top notch.

I did approach Sal, and he gave me all the information and pros and cons. He never once criticise any of the other tunes offered by various vendors. He refused to comment when asked as to how his tune was different from the rest. Same goes to Mike.

Ultimately, I made the decision to go with Mike. I am happy. Same cannot be said about other vendors. Some vendors failed to return my enquiries. Some were not forthcoming with the information. Neither were they critical of the other tuners. Looks like there is a common respect for one another amongst the tuning fraternity.

I exchanged close to 15 PMs with Mike before I finally decided to go ahead. In addition to a good tune, you need professional and polite and informative customer service. Mike gives you that. You need to give credit, when credit is due. That's what I have done. Call me bias, I don't care. I am happy.
      01-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #41
DopeM3
M Power
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
If you take a vote on this forum, it will be unanimously BPM. Period. I've put off getting a tune for over five years, because I was not convinced a tune would give you any gain or added driveability. This was purely based on my experience with DMS when I had my E46 M3. It did nothing to enhance my driving pleasure.

After reading a lot on this forum, I was finally convinced BPM offered something different. I am a convert now ... just the entire process beginning from enquiry to the tuning ... it was top notch.

I did approach Sal, and he gave me all the information and pros and cons. He never once criticise any of the other tunes offered by various vendors. He refused to comment when asked as to how his tune was different from the rest. Same goes to Mike.

Ultimately, I made the decision to go with Mike. I am happy. Same cannot be said about other vendors. Some vendors failed to return my enquiries. Some were not forthcoming with the information. Neither were they critical of the other tuners. Looks like there is a common respect for one another amongst the tuning fraternity.

I exchanged close to 15 PMs with Mike before I finally decided to go ahead. In addition to a good tune, you need professional and polite and informative customer service. Mike gives you that. You need to give credit, when credit is due. That's what I have done. Call me bias, I don't care. I am happy.
Very well said my fellow friend
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #42
Munit
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post

15 exchanges to talk about a basic tune? I can see why other vendors would have cut their losses as people that are really needy tend to be problematic buyers who complain with their purchase.

Anyway if you want a completely faster car you need to do 3 things. Get rid of cats, drop in filter and a tune. ESS I have. I would trusts benvo or evolve as well.

Then if you have access to really maximize thrust make sure you run 95 octane in order to consistently hit the more aggressive timing targets set in the tune to enable full power. It is unbelievable!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 09:36 PM   #43
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munit View Post
15 exchanges to talk about a basic tune? I can see why other vendors would have cut their losses as people that are really needy tend to be problematic buyers who complain with their purchase.
I don't think he was 'needy' at all. I'd rather people make well informed buying decisions over blind purchases.

"Cutting your losses" is sometimes necessary when people have unreasonable expectations or exhibit unreasonable behavior. Neither of which was the case in this situation.

We've both had the car for five years. Given that, I'm sure he wanted to make sure that his baby was well taken care of. I would have too. He already stated he was particularly weary given his previous tuning experience with his E46 M3.

And nothing is 'basic' in my tune. It's actually more complex than many of them out there. If you had it you would understand.

While many others focus only on WOT, we dedicated an equal amount of time to part throttle drivability which is where you spend 90% of your driving. The driving experience is completely different. Every now and again I'll flash back to stock for a week. And then I'll flash the tune back in and my mind is blown by how much better the car is. Truly how BMW should have done it.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----

Last edited by BPMSport; 01-10-2013 at 09:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #44
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munit View Post
They didn't respond to my first ... so what's the diffrence between them and Mike. It's the customer service. Thank you very much.