BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

06-20-2013, 11:32 PM   #1
Gcode
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 & F80 LCI

High beam not working after replacing HID control unit.

Hi,

I recently replaced the passenger side HID control unit in my '08 E93 and now the high beam doesn't work on that side.

Is that something that needs to be coded in order to make it work? I bought the control unit off ebay. I didn't feel like paying $500+ plus labor to the stealership and bought the control unit used off ebay for $89 and changed it myself.

The adaptive headlights seems to be working fine (I need to double check because I never turn them on), the adaptive headlight led illuminates by the knob area, and they both move when starting on the car. Low beams work fine.

Any ideas? Suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 07:12 AM   #2
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 IB/'17 f85 X5M LBB

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eL fUcHiLa View Post
Hi,

I recently replaced the passenger side HID control unit in my '08 E93 and now the high beam doesn't work on that side.

Is that something that needs to be coded in order to make it work? I bought the control unit off ebay. I didn't feel like paying $500+ plus labor to the stealership and bought the control unit used off ebay for $89 and changed it myself.

The adaptive headlights seems to be working fine (I need to double check because I never turn them on), the adaptive headlight led illuminates by the knob area, and they both move when starting on the car. Low beams work fine.

Any ideas? Suggestions?
Maybe the actual bulb might be faulty, since the same bulb is low and high beam. Try switching the bulb from the left and put it on the right and try the high beam and see if it works. If it works, then you know the sytem is working properly and it is indeed the bulb.
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue,6MT,Silver Novillo Leather,CF Trim,Premium Package,Technology Package,Cold Weather Package,Premium Sound,19"Wheels,Moonroof-Toy/'17 X5M, Long Beach Blue, Executive Package,Technology Package, Lighting Package, Driver Assist, Full Mughello Red Interior, 21" wheels-Toy/'14 535i with M Sport and 19" wheels-Daily
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 09:08 AM   #3
Gcode
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elm3 View Post
Maybe the actual bulb might be faulty, since the same bulb is low and high beam. Try switching the bulb from the left and put it on the right and try the high beam and see if it works. If it works, then you know the sytem is working properly and it is indeed the bulb.
I don't think the light bulb is faulty. I believe the fault is in the "shutter mechanism" that needs to be coded to the control unit in order to make it work...

I bought a new pair of HID bulbs before realizing the control unit was bad. I can always give it a try and change bulbs if needed, but I'm sticking to coding the control unit.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #4
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 IB/'17 f85 X5M LBB

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
Quote:
I don't think the light bulb is faulty. I believe the fault is in the "shutter mechanism" that needs to be coded to the control unit in order to make it work...

I bought a new pair of HID bulbs before realizing the control unit was bad. I can always give it a try and change bulbs if needed, but I'm sticking to coding the control unit.
Yeah, I forgot that everything with BMW has to be coded.
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue,6MT,Silver Novillo Leather,CF Trim,Premium Package,Technology Package,Cold Weather Package,Premium Sound,19"Wheels,Moonroof-Toy/'17 X5M, Long Beach Blue, Executive Package,Technology Package, Lighting Package, Driver Assist, Full Mughello Red Interior, 21" wheels-Toy/'14 535i with M Sport and 19" wheels-Daily
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 11:48 PM   #5
Gcode
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Hi,

Any ideas? Suggestions?
I drove with the adaptive headlights for about 20 minutes and they seemed to be working fine, I noticed the corner lights came on and the headlights moved when I turn. After that, the adaptive headlight malfunction came on the screen and the led by the knob area started to blink.
Appreciate 0