BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-25-2016, 09:37 PM   #1
SaNGRia
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E93 M3 + F85 X5M

DIY : E93 M3 Frayed Cord Replacement

TENSION ROPE, INTERN

Manufacture Part No : 54377277475 (You can not find the part number anywhere what so ever! I even looked at a video on youtube, the guy had the part but did not write the part number on description area)

Link for the part : https://www.ecstuning.com/ES2080486/ (ECSTuning employee could not find the part either)

You will need a Small bungee cord to keep the flexible part tighter in order to remove the string without damaging.

There is 2 screw you need to remove in order to re install the new string!

After using the bungee cord as you see in the second picture, you can cut the old string and just get it out from your way! If you cant memorize what way to re install the new one, just walk other side and see what it looks like originally or take a picture if you are lazy

This is how frayed cord looks like!

Name:  frayed.JPG
Views: 6283
Size:  109.7 KB

Name:  1.JPG
Views: 6099
Size:  168.1 KB

Metal spring covered with plastic, you should slide down in order to install the new one! If you have right tool you can also remove the bottom screw to make it easier! I didn't have right tool to remove the bottom one it is so tight to work there!
Name:  2.JPG
Views: 6829
Size:  129.6 KB

This is one of the screw you need to remove and make sure you put the string right position, I had to remove and re do again! And the whole behing this metal part is narrow so it can damage to the new cord. Be Careful!

Name:  3.JPG
Views: 6043
Size:  167.1 KB

Name:  4.JPG
Views: 6455
Size:  144.0 KB

Name:  5.JPG
Views: 6026
Size:  164.5 KB

Name:  6.JPG
Views: 6637
Size:  256.3 KB

After oulling the new string all the way to the end, I found it is easy to re attach the metal piece when you are sliding the old one out.

Name:  7.JPG
Views: 6796
Size:  236.0 KB

But the tricky part is the old one will not get removed at the first circle so I cut it to make it faster!

Name:  8.JPG
Views: 6163
Size:  196.0 KB

And make sure both side holds the cord with same tension and same angle!

I got 2 other product to maintain the roof package (seals, rubber, trim parts)

1- NextZett Rubber Protection Gu (Made in Germany)

The best price : http://www.autopia-carcare.com/1z-91...l#.Vx7axo-cE2w

2- Krytox GPL205 :

The best price tag : http://www.ebay.com/itm/271163422328...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
, F85 ACC Retrofit

Last edited by SaNGRia; 08-25-2018 at 12:25 PM..
Appreciate 5
SYT_Shadow11421.00
CTMike262.00
victo6.00
      08-25-2018, 11:58 AM   #2
yeahM3
finally, a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Great thread! Just replaced mine!
Appreciate 1
SaNGRia980.00
      08-25-2018, 12:16 PM   #3
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahM3 View Post
Great thread! Just replaced mine!
Glad to help you out. Enjoy
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 1
Dpc2u11503.00
      01-06-2021, 08:14 AM   #4
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: bicycle

Do not hesitate to replace these cords early.

I didn't think about replacing them until it was to late. My passenger side cord snapped without me realizing it. The plastic piece on the pillar that the cord connects to is spring hinged and the cord keeps it where it needs to be. I was cleaning the interior with the top down and noticed a 3 inch gash on the side interior panel by the rear head rest. this is caused by the plastic piece scrapping on it when the cord is broken and the top is operated. I'm shocked i didn't notice. a $20 cord will not cost me the price of a panel.

-Mark
Appreciate 1
victo6.00
      01-06-2021, 05:32 PM   #5
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Good point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSurfer View Post

I didn't think about replacing them until it was to late. My passenger side cord snapped without me realizing it. The plastic piece on the pillar that the cord connects to is spring hinged and the cord keeps it where it needs to be. I was cleaning the interior with the top down and noticed a 3 inch gash on the side interior panel by the rear head rest. this is caused by the plastic piece scrapping on it when the cord is broken and the top is operated. I'm shocked i didn't notice. a $20 cord will not cost me the price of a panel.

-Mark
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 1
victo6.00
      01-08-2021, 03:29 PM   #6
BimmerRookie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 Cavalier Z24 M3

Quote:

-Mark
This EXACT thing happened to me as well. Any thoughts on repairing it? Or is getting a new panel our only option?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 02:59 PM   #7
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRookie View Post
Quote:

-Mark
This EXACT thing happened to me as well. Any thoughts on repairing it? Or is getting a new panel our only option?
I picked up some kind of 2 part repair stuff that i haven't used yet. I probably won't even try it. I'm not sure why I even got the stuff. I think it's safe to say that you'll never really be able to repair it to undetectable standards. I'm just gonna look for a new used panel. My only issue is that I have individual sound system or whatever it's called so I think the speaker configuration is different or it just has different trim pieces around the speakers. I'm sure it would be easy to use any black panel and fit the speaker trim into it.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 05:40 PM   #8
siriusmello
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw e93

bmw e93 tension cord snapped

Hi everyone, my tension cord has snapped so i have to replace it now but is it possible to do so with the roof closed? because the roof isnt operating but i can hear the motors working. Any info or tips would be greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 06:26 PM   #9
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusmello View Post
Hi everyone, my tension cord has snapped so i have to replace it now but is it possible to do so with the roof closed? because the roof isnt operating but i can hear the motors working. Any info or tips would be greatly appreciated
You can manually open and close the top. Then you can fix the cord!
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 09:34 AM   #10
siriusmello
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNGRia View Post
You can manually open and close the top. Then you can fix the cord!
Thank you for giving me hope! i cant seem to find how to manually work the move the roof do you have any information regarding that? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 06:13 PM   #11
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

No problem. Here is the video for you :

, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2023, 10:28 PM   #12
guig
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Very helpful post, thanks.

I unfortunately dropped the tiny lower silver bracket into the depths of the trunk while I was replacing the second cord. Does anyone know the part number for it or where to find one?

Thanks,
Steve
Appreciate 0