BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Site Related Announcements - Suggestions - Feedback - Questions

Mporium BMW

11-17-2009, 02:36 PM   #1
DVDA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: women crazy

How do Forum Infractions work?

How many do you need for a ban, what gets restricted depending on how many points? What do expired infrantion points count as?

I tried searching and I cant find the forum rules regarding infraction (even sticky doesnt have it)
      11-17-2009, 02:46 PM   #2
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

10 points is a ban. I can honestly see why Kanuck and Tim left.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
DVDA
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
10 points is a ban.
Doubt it, I already have 15....all expired though

I really should have posted this under Forum Suggestions - Question section, I just realized I screwed up
      11-17-2009, 02:54 PM   #4
wassa786
Banned
Rep
Drives: Awsome Car

Well are there certain reasons for points/bans? Can someone banned be unbanned?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 02:55 PM   #5
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDA View Post
Doubt it, I already have 15....all expired though

I really should have posted this under Forum Suggestions - Question section, I just realized I screwed up
10 active points. Expired infractions don't count.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 02:56 PM   #6
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassa786 View Post
Well are there certain reasons for points/bans? Can someone banned be unbanned?
Being an idiot, Being Stupid, Calling out someone on a BS story.....
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 02:59 PM   #7
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
10 points is a ban. I can honestly see why Kanuck and Tim left.
They didn't leave because of how many points they were racking up; they left because of the nature of the infractions that received points and the increasingly immaturity and laziness of the average e90post user.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 03:00 PM   #8
wasup1357
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

ahhaah y cant we just all get along here and we wont have to worry about banning
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 03:02 PM   #9
jayely1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

How do we see how many points we have?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 03:11 PM   #10
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasup1357 View Post
ahhaah y cant we just all get along here and we wont have to worry about banning
Because we're human and hiding behind the anonymity that the internet environment appears to grant us.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 03:14 PM   #11
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
They didn't leave because of how many points they were racking up; they left because of the nature of the infractions that received points and the increasingly immaturity and laziness of the average e90post user.
I know this. I'm on the same boat.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 03:15 PM   #12
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayely1 View Post
How do we see how many points we have?
User CP.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 03:47 PM   #13
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Quote:
Well there is another infraction...
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 04:11 PM   #14
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
With the amount of crap the mods and admins have to clean up, it makes sense to have points assessed for breaking the rules because it helps to identify the repeat offenders.

If you get an infraction, it will come in the form of a PM from one of the moderators. The PM should identify the thread, exactly what you posted, and the moderator's reason for giving you the infraction. For example, "You posted in the wrong forum, you knucklehead DVDA!"

In all seriousness, I think it's a good system and one that I wasn't really aware of before I became a moderator. Points are associated with infractions, and more serious infractions have more points associated with them. Points expire over time. Any "ban" associated with accumulating points (1) is temporary, and (2) only happens when a member gets a bunch of infractions in a relatively short period. 10 points does not result in a ban. Also, a "permanent ban" is reserved only for those annoying spambots talking about selling iPods or the trolls who egregiously abuse the forums and piss everyone off.

This system works pretty well and it makes sense to me. If I were you, I would not be overly concerned about an infraction here or there because we all slip up from time to time and post something that we realize may step over the line. When we that happens, I think receiving an infraction -- or at least a "WTF were you thinking?" PM -- from a moderator should be expected. No big deal unless you get a bunch of infractions in a short period of time.
      11-17-2009, 05:27 PM   #15
DVDA
Major
United_States
Rep

Sorry BK, I realized I messed up posting in wrong section....

That being said although all my infractions are expired I want to know, how come there is no way to appeal an infraction?

I got 2 infractions (3 points each) for the same thread, 2 days apart. That was hardly fair considering I didnt know I did anything wrong then got cited for 2 different posts that were posted weeks prior.
      11-17-2009, 08:01 PM   #16
E90PAT
SOFLO CODING
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK View Post
With the amount of crap the mods and admins have to clean up, it makes sense to have points assessed for breaking the rules because it helps to identify the repeat offenders.

If you get an infraction, it will come in the form of a PM from one of the moderators. The PM should identify the thread, exactly what you posted, and the moderator's reason for giving you the infraction. For example, "You posted in the wrong forum, you knucklehead DVDA!"

In all seriousness, I think it's a good system and one that I wasn't really aware of before I became a moderator. Points are associated with infractions, and more serious infractions have more points associated with them. Points expire over time. Any "ban" associated with accumulating points (1) is temporary, and (2) only happens when a member gets a bunch of infractions in a relatively short period. 10 points does not result in a ban. Also, a "permanent ban" is reserved only for those annoying spambots talking about selling iPods or the trolls who egregiously abuse the forums and piss everyone off.

This system works pretty well and it makes sense to me. If I were you, I would not be overly concerned about an infraction here or there because we all slip up from time to time and post something that we realize may step over the line. When we that happens, I think receiving an infraction -- or at least a "WTF were you thinking?" PM -- from a moderator should be expected. No big deal unless you get a bunch of infractions in a short period of time.
Hey man, what do you have to do to become a moderator? i'm on this like everyday and i like learning from the post
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 09:44 PM   #17
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Sorry BK, I realized I messed up posting in wrong section....

That being said although all my infractions are expired I want to know, how come there is no way to appeal an infraction?

I got 2 infractions (3 points each) for the same thread, 2 days apart. That was hardly fair considering I didnt know I did anything wrong then got cited for 2 different posts that were posted weeks prior.
I was just giving you a hard time about posting in the wrong forum. I moved the thread.

If you get an infraction unfairly, shoot a PM to the moderator who gave them to you and explain the problem. Or shoot a PM to Jason or MarkE90M3, the site administrators. We make mistakes. It's possible two different mods saw two different posts and each independently clicked on the "infraction" button without realizing the other did the same.

In my limited experience, every time we issue an infraction -- even when the post clearly deserves it -- we get a response from the poster, often angrily written and with an excuse for breaking the rules. A PM like that doesn't do anybody any good. But if you have a legitimate gripe, like in your case, send a level-headed PM reply and the mod or administrator can fix it and remove the double-infraction.

The fact that there are infraction points is not as Draconian as it may sound. They weed out the real trouble-makers and jerks on the boards. Also, they are helpful to occasionally let people know where the line is drawn -- i.e., a warning to let someone understand that a particular post crossed the line. When you get one like that, the point is to take note of it and move on. If you want to talk it out via PM with the mod who gave it to you or with an admin, that's perfectly fine. Nobody is looking to ban anyone, especially not people who are contributing to the community here. We just have to enforce and remind people of the rules from time to time so the place doesn't fall into disrepair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark335i View Post
Speaking the truth.
The question was about whether there are certain reasons for points. Yes, there are specific reasons for points, and they mirror the rules that Mark has stickied at the top of the forums -- from lowest to highest: thread posted in the wrong forum (self-explanatory); commercial post from a sponsor outside of the sponsors forum (self-explanatory); taking a post completely OT (self-explanatory, obviously not enforced in the OT forum ); inappropriate language (very foul language); violation of forum rules (yeah, it's a catch-all, but I find myself using it most often for personal attacks).

I don't give out a lot of infractions. When I do, it's typically due to a personal attack or very offensive post. There's no reason for either of those things, and that should be the rule in any Internet forum. Otherwise, the forum loses its value as threads devolve into flame wars, people hold grudges or gang up on each other, and the site become useless for researching. A very basic rule for any forum: try to play well with others. Disagree and debate the message, but don't attack the person posting it.

As for bans, people don't get banned unless they have a pattern of breaking the rules. You need several serious violations within a brief period of time to result in a ban. Even then, it's more of a cooling off period, as it lasts for 30 days. Permanent bans are mainly for the spam-bots or those who continue to violate the rules even after being banned previously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92PAT View Post
Hey man, what do you have to do to become a moderator? i'm on this like everyday and i like learning from the post
You are not alone. We're all addicted to E90post around here! I get jittery if I miss reading it one day. As far as I can tell, the site admins hand pick the moderators.
      11-18-2009, 12:46 AM   #18
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
^^ No, we're volunteers. We do it because we love the forum.
      11-18-2009, 12:50 AM   #19
Belarus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Garage List
There should be a "Board" of infraction leaders, say TOP 10 ...

12.770 @ 112.81 mph||slip||JB4|FMIC|DPs|DCI|N54 DVs|ER CP|Koni FSD|Eibach-Pro|F Strut-bar|R Sway-bar|Hankooks V12|DPE SP16|BBK|15%Tint|CF Front Lip|CF Diffuser|M3 Spoiler|SmartTop|LUX AE|Debadged
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 09:15 AM   #20
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK View Post
^^ No, we're volunteers. We do it because we love the forum.
+1
      11-18-2009, 06:53 PM   #21
Paranoia
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

You guys have no idea how good we have it here. The mods on this forum are actually reasonable! And mostly, once regular users become moderators here...they are arguably noticeably even more responsible and neutral than before.

On some of the other non-car forums I frequent...man the moderators are waaay too involved: voicing their OPINIONS on ALL threads as FACT, and any non-conformers/dissenters must apologize or head for the hills.

So yeah, it's a little off topic, but I'd much rather get a friendly infraction here and there, learn my lesson, laugh it off, then have to constantly apologize to moderators for differing views and fear the banhammer.
Appreciate 0