BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

06-01-2007, 07:36 AM   #1
13eastie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 M3

Garage List
Question UK Security / Insurance

Can any current M-owners comment about the standard security on their car?

Is it sufficient for most insurance companies, or ought one to get a tracker fitted?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 08:04 AM   #2
Ted
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13eastie View Post

Is it sufficient for most insurance companies, or ought one to get a tracker fitted?
I think almost every insurer insists on a Tracker for M Cars, they always have in my experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2007, 03:33 AM   #3
Manz_UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 BLACK + M6 BLACK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
I think almost every insurer insists on a Tracker for M Cars, they always have in my experience.
not in mine..
      06-03-2007, 03:18 PM   #4
mudd786
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13eastie View Post

from my experiance the standard alarm meets thatcham cat 1 spec, remote alarm, centrol locking and immobiliser which is enough, but it is very much at the underwriters discretion to make certain requirements standard so baisically upto the insurance company. I have never been asked for tracker, but when i was contemplating buying a porsche 996 turbo and obtaining ins quotes i was asked if had a tracker and that it would need to have 1.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2007, 03:26 PM   #5
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

for a normal car, the tracker would probably not have a huge impact on the insurance premium, but for an M3, which will constitute a prime target, i would think the tracker would actually result in a decrease in the insurance premium. so, the tracker might very well be a good investment if you plan on keeping the car for a few years, even if it is not required by your insurance company. this thinking applies to the US auto insurance market; i don't know how the premiums are determined in the UK, but i would think it wouldn't be all that much different.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2007, 03:25 PM   #6
mudd786
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
for a normal car, the tracker would probably not have a huge impact on the insurance premium, but for an M3, which will constitute a prime target, i would think the tracker would actually result in a decrease in the insurance premium. so, the tracker might very well be a good investment if you plan on keeping the car for a few years, even if it is not required by your insurance company. this thinking applies to the US auto insurance market; i don't know how the premiums are determined in the UK, but i would think it wouldn't be all that much different.
Yeh your right it does affect the premium price, i just understood from the initial question that is it a "requirement" as some insurance companies require you to send in certificates to prove installation of immobiliser or tracker before they will insure you. But when i had my m3 insured they just asked what security it had i said bmw factory fitted remote alarm and immobiliser, they were happy with that. But it may not have needed a tracker as car theft is alot lower here in lancashire, than in london where it may deffinately require it. So you could possibly say depending on where you live that may well deem it necasary for a tracker.
Appreciate 0