BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

07-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #23
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep
Drives: Purple People Eater

Thanks for posting for the video. Nice recovers when going sideways most of the time. I guess I got smaller balls than you because I'll never turn off the PASM (P-car version of DSC) at the track or on the street. One of the PCA instructors told me...."the fastest way to total your GT3 is to turn the PASM off"
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 10:38 PM   #24
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

This is awesome. That's a lot of pucker factor for only two seasons. Keep up the good work! Very quick hands on most if not all of those. Nicely done!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #25
dapopa9
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Just watched all 11min. Great video. Love watching the chase car cam shots.... The M3 has the most lively rear end of any car on the track.

The dive bombs are epic!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 01:19 AM   #26
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOut View Post
Great video man. You had some awesome saves in there.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Sliding and drfiting is kind of addicting to the point where you do get slower. BUT it opens a whole new world of possibilities in sliding the car into position.

The key is to break the rear end loose, catch it and go and avoid the pendulum (sp?) effect.
Yeah, avoid tank slappers by not lifting off the throttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Looks fun. Around here if you're drifting you'll probably hit something, and if not, you'll get kicked out if its repetitive. I'm totally jealous of those open desert tracks.
Yeah, we're lucky here that most of the tracks have ton of run-off's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesummer View Post
a lot of fun
Indeed, that's all it is, having lots of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrantyTracker View Post
Man oh man. For anybody that is confused about steering into the slide to correct oversteer, just watch this video once. If you don't get it by then, you won't get it.

Seriously, this vid has huge instructional value.
Welp, it's just a documentation of a little journey I took, but if it helps someone, great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
Awesome compilation and nice to see a solid progression. Very entertaining, thanks for sharing
Thanks, buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29 View Post
Thanks for posting for the video. Nice recovers when going sideways most of the time. I guess I got smaller balls than you because I'll never turn off the PASM (P-car version of DSC) at the track or on the street. One of the PCA instructors told me...."the fastest way to total your GT3 is to turn the PASM off"
Well, there was a period during 1st year of tracking wherein I considered staying in MDM mode indefinitely but, as you get faster at tracks, the long moments after exiting corners where the car's not moving forward prompted me to go DSC off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Esq. View Post
This is awesome. That's a lot of pucker factor for only two seasons. Keep up the good work! Very quick hands on most if not all of those. Nicely done!
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapopa9 View Post
Just watched all 11min. Great video. Love watching the chase car cam shots.... The M3 has the most lively rear end of any car on the track.

The dive bombs are epic!
Thanks, bud. Looking forward to seeing you back at the tracks with your next ride!
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #27
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Dis you learn all your corrections by just driving on the track a lot or did you go to some sort of drift, car control days? Im worried i would be 50k in the hole by going off track too much!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #28
jrlee53
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Awesome vid, loved watching your recoveries. Wish there was cams at corners to get that footage.

2003 Cobra -> 2010 BMW e90 M3 - Space Grey - Black on Carbon Leather Int. - BRILLIANT CAR!!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #29
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Dis you learn all your corrections by just driving on the track a lot or did you go to some sort of drift, car control days? Im worried i would be 50k in the hole by going off track too much!
No. About a year & half before I got into tracking (w/ 2011 M3), I was trying to learn how to drift (w/ 2008 M3) and took a couple of drifting lessons. Those lessons, plus an incident between said 2 lessons on a street where I almost wrecked my car, were invaluable. But, full car control practice didn't commence 'til I started tracking, and in particular, after DSC was turned off.

Kaiv and I might organize a car control/drift event for SoCal track people at some point. It'd be both a nice way to get some pointers from Kaiv, as well as burn off heat-cycled-out track tires we all have piling up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDy80 View Post
Awesome vid, loved watching your recoveries. Wish there was cams at corners to get that footage.
Thanks & me too.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #30
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

That would be awesome i would definitely do that. Time to buy some used crap tires lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #31
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

I should just run in beginner group with dsc off and start out slow.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #32
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Quote:
I should just run in beginner group with dsc off and start out slow.
Pick an open track/test day please, the beginner's group is NOT the right place to test DSC off, primarily for the safety of the other drivers that will not know how to react when you spin or go off.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 08:11 PM   #33
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mid-corner fun View Post
Pick an open track/test day please, the beginner's group is NOT the right place to test DSC off, primarily for the safety of the other drivers that will not know how to react when you spin or go off.
True - or i can be the last person in the group.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #34
IN54NITY
Major nutz
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 n54 e92xi, 6mt, kw v3

Garage List
2009 335xi  [8.89]
Quote:
True - or i can be the last person in the group.
As a BMWCCA instructor, I completely disagree with "mid-corner fun". Whatever you do pkim1079, don't go out by yourself on some open lapping day and try this. If you do go out with the BMWCCA, tell your instructor your intentions and get HIS/HER input, discuss, and make a decision. Take what you hear on the interwebs with a huge grain of salt, including this post if you want to.

Edit: To OP, thank you for posting your video.

Last edited by IN54NITY; 07-15-2013 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: Nice Video.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #35
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleckzandr View Post
As a BMWCCA instructor, I completely disagree with "mid-corner fun". Whatever you do pkim1079, don't go out by yourself on some open lapping day and try this. If you do go out with the BMWCCA, tell your instructor your intentions and get HIS/HER input, discuss, and make a decision. Take what you hear on the interwebs with a huge grain of salt, including this post if you want to.
also true - spin out on an open track day - get hit by an open wheeler!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 12:14 AM   #36
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

^There's no "correct" strategy that works equally well for everyone. As some stated, some start tracking with TC off, and others don't turn off TC for a long while. Others never turn it off.

More important than when to turn it off, perhaps turn it off once you find a solution to keep you secured in the seat. When you are locked in tight in your seat, you feel the backend of the car coming out quicker/immediately, and you are not out of position with respect to the steering wheel to counter the slides. A while back, I considered buying a Recaro seat and harness, but after someone showed me a seatbelt/cam-lock trick*, I didn't need the Recaro anymore.

* Slide the seat back (& I also recline the backrest), jerk the seatbelt to lock the cam and insert the sealtbelt into the recepticle, then while keeping tension on the seatbelt to keep the cam locked, slide the seat forward (& bring the backrest back up) until you are sitting fairly close to the steering wheel. This way, you are locked in very tight in your seat and you will not be sliding around. And, when the car is at a severe drift angle, you are locked in the seat perfectly upright and close to the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #37
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleckzandr View Post

Edit: To OP, thank you for posting your video.
Apologies, I forgot about instructors, I don't deal with them that often :-) If the OP is in a instructor-based group, sure by all means the instructor can help tremendously with a DSC off exercise.

If you've progressed to a non-instructor group (call it advanced, HPDE3/4 etc), dropping down to the beginner group to test DSC off will be a disaster, I stand by my statement on picking an open track day instead.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 09:49 AM   #38
surlynkid
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
if i could actually make this POS GoPro Hero3 BE actually work, I could post a few. I swear i get it to work one time out of 4 sessions per day. between the battery bacpac, passthru charging not working, passthru battery consumption not working, the wifi controller not syncing, not turning on no matter what i do when i push buttons, not turning off without just pulling the internal battery, i cannot say i have ever found a piece of equipment that has more glitches and is a bigger POS. for those that make it work, the vids of the "moments" are great. i just do nothing but fight this stupid camera that cost a lot of money.
Stoptech 380mm/355mm | PFC08 / Pagid RS-29 | Akrapovic EVO - CF tips | Benvo Tune | MS UDP | AA air filter | MCS 2-way with 700/1000lb springs | Solid bushings and adjustable links | RD front swaybar | Apex EC-7 18x10 square 275/35-18 NT01 | Turner Race Studs | GT4 Brake Cooling | GT4 Power Steering Cooling | Alekshop Oil Cooler | Performance Steering Wheel | | CF Spoiler | Varis System 1 Full CF Diffuser | Extended Paddle Shifters | Schroth Quick Fit Pro | Turner Steering Rack Stops | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #39
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

^Might find Contour cams less troublesome (or, trouble-free) than GoPro's...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #40
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

I feel that even if I am in a tight seat position I have to do a lot of bracing with my legs and seriously considering some seats after SOW. It definitely is hard to feel the car with the butt - the seat feels so damn high too! Am I just a midget?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #41
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

Welp, racing seats w/ harness are obviously your best bet.

But, that seatbelt/cam-lock trick gets me situated so tight in the seat (the seatbelt going across my chest is so tight that it sometimes makes it hard to breathe, so you gotta adjust it a bit by re-doing it w/ a slightly different seat position; so, I've set the seat memory button #2 as the optimal position for me ) that I haven't felt the need for a racing seat.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 07:22 PM   #42
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
Welp, racing seats w/ harness are obviously your best bet.

But, that seatbelt/cam-lock trick gets me situated so tight in the seat (the seatbelt going across my chest is so tight that it sometimes makes it hard to breathe, so you gotta adjust it a bit by re-doing it w/ a slightly different seat position; so, I've set the seat memory button #2 as the optimal position for me ) that I haven't felt the need for a racing seat.
will try that next time out...i felt that i was tightly in but maybe i need to set my seat a little - after the track day i adjusted to have my butt sit lower than my legs and that felt a little better. will try it out at buttonwillow on the 27th.....set up the car control session!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #43
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

Yea, my track setting seat position is much lower than the DD seat position. Plus, on the track, you want to sit very close to the steering wheel.

Re: drift/car-control event, we'll probably want to do it after the summer heat passes.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 04:17 PM   #44
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
Yea, my track setting seat position is much lower than the DD seat position. Plus, on the track, you want to sit very close to the steering wheel.

Re: drift/car-control event, we'll probably want to do it after the summer heat passes.
i sit at the lowest regardless but my track setting is close to the steering wheel (wrists passed top of steering wheel at full stretch) but then my legs get all crampy.....
Appreciate 0