BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

06-03-2009, 01:33 PM   #1
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Piercing noise when changing radio modes. Am I the only one???

Hey gang, here's what happened: Was listening to a CD fairly loud (to me, but probably 1/3 of the volume), but since it has no numbers can't really tell you. Changed to 'SAT' when I realized maybe it was going to be too loud and remember hitting the volume down button on the steering wheel right after that, when this piercingly loud (and ultra-high pitch) noise seemed to come out from the left tweeter for a fraction of a second. My daughter jumped out of the seat; it was that loud. Everything worked fine after that, and tried to duplicate the noise (without touching the steering wheel buttons this time) at lower volumes and nothing happened. Raised the volume a little louder than I ever listen to music to make sure a speaker didn't blow and everything sounds fine.

Has this happened to anybody else? Could it have been pressing the steering wheel buttons at the same time I was changing modes? Obviously won't do it again, and hope that was the end of it, and not the beginning of electronic glitches. Comments welcome. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

Have not had that issue. Mine was even stranger...

Car was garaged all night. First thing in the morning I walk out to the garage and open the trunk. I get BLASTED at 100% volume with "static". The car was OFF all night...all I did was open the trunk. I tried everything to get it to turn off..I started the car, cycled radio on, then off, turned car off. Nothing. I finally unplugged the input to the amp at it vanished. Never has happened again.

Others have reported strange audio behaviors. From what I read, a few people got their head units replaced. FYI
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 04:31 PM   #3
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Oh crap. Yours was definitely worse than mine. Hey, where the heck is the amp for future reference?

Hopefully both of our experiences were a one-time event. But thanks for the possible bad head unit news. This is the reason all the electronic crap on this car makes me uneasy after warranty expires. Thank you very much for your help Tim. Please update this thread if anything else happens.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 07:04 PM   #4
nguyenbk
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 SG E92 w/ Fox Red

Ive never experienced the loud pitch. the only thing that happens with my sound is that it makes a low pitch sound whenever i change tracks when im using my iPod. but i think its due to the digital processor and amp.
09 E92 | Space Gray/Fox Red | 19" Matte Black VMR V710 | Vorsteiner CF Front Lip | IND Challenge Carbon Fiber Diffuser | INDs Side Markers & Reflectors | RPI Scoops | Matte Black Kidney Grills| ActiveAutowerkes Signature Exhaust & Filter | Valentine 1 Radar | MTEC 6000K Lights | Camaross305 HID Kit | RemoteKEY+ | Carbon Fiber Emblems | 12" Alpine Type-X | 5% Ceramic Tint |
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 08:47 PM   #5
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Your car is 08 right? Do you have premium audio? I think that there is an SIB out for this...faulty amp wiring or faulty amp. Something like that. I know that there are several members on the forum who have reported it. I specifically remember GregW being one of the first to mention it. I think his situation was a bit different (speakers were blaring static and wouldn't turn off), but it is likely related to the same root cause.
      06-15-2009, 03:27 PM   #6
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
Your car is 08 right? Do you have premium audio? I think that there is an SIB out for this...faulty amp wiring or faulty amp.
I'd appreciate any info on that SIB; can't find anything.
I'm of the opinion once something like this happens, the problem won't go away; there's obviously something not right with the audio system. Age, heat, vibration, etc., eventually make it worse. Problem hasn't repeated, but I'd like the amp (which is likely my problem as well, due to the loud volume) replaced before warranty is over. I think amp is in the trunk, so there's little risk of scratches or other damage than if it was the head unit. Thanks man.
Appreciate 0