BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

07-03-2009, 06:35 PM   #1
nguyenbk
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 SG E92 w/ Fox Red

Engine/Turbo Timer for cool down?

Just interested. Has anyone here installed an engine timer that keeps the engine on for a minute or two in order to let it cooldown. I used to have one in my subaru legacy gt to let the turbo cool down. If you have, is it pretty easy to install?
09 E92 | Space Gray/Fox Red | 19" Matte Black VMR V710 | Vorsteiner CF Front Lip | IND Challenge Carbon Fiber Diffuser | INDs Side Markers & Reflectors | RPI Scoops | Matte Black Kidney Grills| ActiveAutowerkes Signature Exhaust & Filter | Valentine 1 Radar | MTEC 6000K Lights | Camaross305 HID Kit | RemoteKEY+ | Carbon Fiber Emblems | 12" Alpine Type-X | 5% Ceramic Tint |
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2009, 06:58 PM   #2
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nguyenbk View Post
Just interested. Has anyone here installed an engine timer that keeps the engine on for a minute or two in order to let it cooldown. I used to have one in my subaru legacy gt to let the turbo cool down. If you have, is it pretty easy to install?
Wait...what?

You do own a E92 M3 right? A naturally-aspirated E92 M3 right?

And you want to add a turbo timer to cool it down?

Why? Is your car overheating?
      07-03-2009, 07:36 PM   #3
nguyenbk
Private
Rep

It's NA. I've seen alot of people who race put it on their cars to cool it down after pushing the car really hard. The timers are made for turbo cars normally In order to prevent the oil to clump and also for the turbo to cool Down, but it can be used on naturally aspirated cars too.
09 E92 | Space Gray/Fox Red | 19" Matte Black VMR V710 | Vorsteiner CF Front Lip | IND Challenge Carbon Fiber Diffuser | INDs Side Markers & Reflectors | RPI Scoops | Matte Black Kidney Grills| ActiveAutowerkes Signature Exhaust & Filter | Valentine 1 Radar | MTEC 6000K Lights | Camaross305 HID Kit | RemoteKEY+ | Carbon Fiber Emblems | 12" Alpine Type-X | 5% Ceramic Tint |
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2009, 07:39 PM   #4
nguyenbk
Private
Rep

I've pushed my car to the limit sometimes, and shut the engine off right away. I feel that in the long run that may be bad for the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2009, 08:35 PM   #5
KINGLEH
Major
Rep
Drives: 00 GTR - 09 E92 M

most likely in yoru case when you say "pushed the car to the limits"... you will be around a little bit wherever your car... like at the track or autoX or something... so just pop the hood and let it idle for a minute or 2.. thats what i do...

Turbo Timer would be Dum.. and Difficult... and possibly a Disaster with factory wiring...

triple D... no good..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2009, 03:23 AM   #6
seven_227
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: AW e92 335i

Best way to let your car cool down is not to stop directly after driving your car hard, keep cruising until the temp drops, stopping and letting it idle will result in heat build up.
      07-04-2009, 04:21 AM   #7
M&M
Captain
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Boosted Beemers!

Turbo timer is to ensure that the oil still flows through the turbo centre bearing after you shut down. So it keeps the car idling to ensure the oil is still circulating. Will not benefit an NA car at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2009, 02:16 PM   #8
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGLEH View Post
most likely in yoru case when you say "pushed the car to the limits"... you will be around a little bit wherever your car... like at the track or autoX or something... so just pop the hood and let it idle for a minute or 2.. thats what i do...

Turbo Timer would be Dum.. and Difficult... and possibly a Disaster with factory wiring...

triple D... no good..
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven_227 View Post
Best way to let your car cool down is not to stop directly after driving your car hard, keep cruising until the temp drops, stopping and letting it idle will result in heat build up.
These suggestions should work. No need for an 'engine timer' or anything of that nature. btw, why do you turn off your car immediately after driving hard? Are you running from cops? jk
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0