BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

Mporium BMW

06-19-2023, 12:17 PM   #23
geko29
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Now we have many users (all segments) wanting driving aids which require AT to function... writing has been on the wall for several years, for MT to virtually disappear.
This is perhaps a bit overstated. Most of these things don't require an AT, BMW just chooses not to offer certain features in combination with an MT.

Civic Type R does come with adaptive cruise and lane keeping as standard equipment, yet has never been available with an automatic. BMW could easily do the same, they just choose not to. My manual G80 has parking and back-up assistants. Obviously something like Hyundai/Kia's Smart Park (where the car can be "driven" using the keyfob) can't be done with a manual, but that's one of the rare exceptions where it actually isn't possible.

Appreciate 2
      06-19-2023, 02:51 PM   #24
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by geko29 View Post
This is perhaps a bit overstated. Most of these things don't require an AT, BMW just chooses not to offer certain features in combination with an MT.

Civic Type R does come with adaptive cruise and lane keeping as standard equipment .
I think you are trying to over simplify what BMW 'could' be doing. The market is clearly moving away from MT, except for a few diehard enthusiasts. Why would BMW make a 'half-way' ACC (not much more than CC) for MT, like in the Civic, when most users want the full works, for all driving situations, including stop-start driving?

BMW isn't a niche supplier, will be looking to the future, following and satisfying their key markets.
Appreciate 2
      06-19-2023, 04:45 PM   #25
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
List is much longer if you look beyond just sedans.
I can assure you that the Golf GTI/R are NOT sedans.
Appreciate 2
      06-20-2023, 05:28 AM   #26
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

All 5 BMWs I've owned, still have 3 of them, have been MT. When BMW stopped offering the non-M 3-series in the US with a manual I stopped buying BMW.

Ford ended up with my new car money last year.
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2023, 10:53 AM   #27
geko29
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I think you are trying to over simplify what BMW 'could' be doing. The market is clearly moving away from MT, except for a few diehard enthusiasts. Why would BMW make a 'half-way' ACC (not much more than CC) for MT, like in the Civic, when most users want the full works, for all driving situations, including stop-start driving?
They're almost two completely different features (though they obviously share a lot of technology), and as you note for totally different situations. "Traffic Jam Assist" is a godsend if you commute in heavy traffic. For me and a lot of other people that ended 3 years ago.

But Active Cruise is useful for any kind of long-distance driving. And the S58's combination of torque and gearing would make that basically indistinguishable from an AT car--just leave it in 6th and let the car handle adjusting your speed up/down.

They wouldn't have to engineer a new system. Just install the one they already have, charge the same price for it, and disable stop/go. Total development cost $0.

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 11:25 PM   #28
moebiuz
Private
Colombia
Rep
Drives: BMW 130i

BMW is ending its ICE era horribly. Controversial and awful designs all over the place, no offering manuals on regular non-M cars, not offering a lot of features that could be provided in manuals telling that its only for autos, heck even killing DCT... it's just sad and disgusts me a lot. Apart from regulations, I know that a lot of it is due to their pure negligence. F
Just my 2 cents haha
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17318.00