BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

03-21-2012, 01:57 AM   #155
Tom@SonicMS
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Eugene, sorry to hear what happened to your friends wheels. I hope it will get resolved soon.

D
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 05:07 AM   #156
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

ADV1...Who machines your wheels?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 05:13 AM   #157
Donbona
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 DCT 2008

Yes Eugene sorry to hear about this.

On the flipside.... I have owned a set of 360 forged 20 inch rims for a number of years now... I actually ordered them when Jordan was in the process of going bust. Fortunately Forged Distributing who had bought 360 made good on the order.
What I also found out is that all these forged wheel comapnies use the same manufacturer.
Im hoping this is an isolated incident and not all these wheels are faulty.
Dont be too harsh on these guys. If they were not trying to deal with the issue then flame away. But they are so go a little easier on the guys.
Just my 2 pence
M3 E93 DCT, Space Grey,BC HB29 Forged Deep Concave Wheels, Ericsson Amuse F/R Bumper, Evolve Full Exhaust System, INTRAX Coilovers, STOPTECH BBK, Performance Steering Wheel,Custom Red/Black Leather Seats,///M3 ||Bimmerpost M3 Car Of The Month May - 2010SOLD
2010 R35 GTR
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 05:45 AM   #158
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

I guess shit happens

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 06:28 AM   #159
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbona View Post
Yes Eugene sorry to hear about this.

On the flipside.... I have owned a set of 360 forged 20 inch rims for a number of years now... I actually ordered them when Jordan was in the process of going bust. Fortunately Forged Distributing who had bought 360 made good on the order.
What I also found out is that all these forged wheel comapnies use the same manufacturer.
Im hoping this is an isolated incident and not all these wheels are faulty.
Dont be too harsh on these guys. If they were not trying to deal with the issue then flame away. But they are so go a little easier on the guys.
Just my 2 pence
Perhaps a lot of wheel companies purchase their blanks and have them machined by the same vendor; however, the vendor programs a CNC machine based on a design file provided by a specific wheel manufacturer. If that wheel manufacturer doesn't properly engineer, draft, and dimension their wheel design then wheel company "A" could have a failure whereas wheel company "B" does not, even though both sets of wheels with the same diameter, width and offset are machined from the same lot of blanks.

If the post that stated the hole patterns do not properly align is a true statement then there is a MAJOR design issue, one that significantly affects the strength and durability of the wheels. Unless they have revised the design to address this issue then there's a very high probability the new replacement wheel will fail as well as any of the other three original wheels. I would not continue to use this wheel design on my own car.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 07:34 AM   #160
advanced101
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

The phrase "shit happens" is said a lot on this forum,
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 08:30 AM   #161
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes View Post
Perhaps a lot of wheel companies purchase their blanks and have them machined by the same vendor; however, the vendor programs a CNC machine based on a design file provided by a specific wheel manufacturer. If that wheel manufacturer doesn't properly engineer, draft, and dimension their wheel design then wheel company "A" could have a failure whereas wheel company "B" does not, even though both sets of wheels with the same diameter, width and offset are machined from the same lot of blanks.

If the post that stated the hole patterns do not properly align is a true statement then there is a MAJOR design issue, one that significantly affects the strength and durability of the wheels. Unless they have revised the design to address this issue then there's a very high probability the new replacement wheel will fail as well as any of the other three original wheels. I would not continue to use this wheel design on my own car.
I think the wheel is 5x130 ET15 all around (due to the widebody Techart kit)

present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 08:31 AM   #162
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by advanced101 View Post
The phrase "shit happens" is said a lot on this forum,

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #163
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene-TAIWAN View Post
I think the wheel is 5x130 ET15 all around (due to the widebody Techart kit)
Thanks for the info Eugene! However, this was more of a "generic" statement to alleviate any concerns people might have with one vendor manufacturing wheels for many different "wheel" companies. Basically, there is a difference between poorly and well engineered wheels, even if they are machined at the same facility.

I hope everything gets resolved for you (and your friend)!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #164
ADV.1 Matt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: N/A

Euguene,

We apologize again for the wait but as we proved for the supplier themselves - they don't physically have the parts. It's not a matter of going above and beyond and driving all night to get a part so we can get it to you - it's a matter of this part does not physically exist anywhere in the world currently.

Let's be honest here guys - we want nothing more than to make this entire situation get resolved as quickly as possible. It's not like we try and upset customers or think that's good for our image. We want to get Eugene back on the road and happy but if what we need to fix the situation isn't available anywhere in the world we can't conjure it out of thin air any faster than our supplier.

For those stating we should have a backup supplier - we do for MANY of our more normal sized forgings but a 22" step lip isn't a normal everyday fitment and the total volume of these types of orders is much less than a 20" M3 fitment which if something like that were to go bad - we do have redundancies in place to avoid this situation. But it's not a normal everyday part - hence the problem getting it.

And could we find a supplier overseas? Maybe - but we build and source all of our parts 100% in the U.S. as it's the highest possible quality and we're not willing to sacrifice our quality to boost profit margins or speed things up. If we were to do so you'd see instances like this increase 10 fold.

We're working to get this resolved as fast as possible for Eugene and have been since day 1 three weeks ago. The unfortunate instance is that it was a rare backordered part and it's simply not been easy to get a new batch made from our supplier.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #165
ADV.1 Matt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
ADV1...Who machines your wheels?
We use MHT's machines to mill and lathe our wheels. We've stated that many times and don't hide from that fact. Many manufacturers use MHT - they produce a significant volume of aftermarket wheels in this country in some way or another.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #166
mikesis
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV.1 Matt View Post
And could we find a supplier overseas? Maybe - but we build and source all of our parts 100% in the U.S. as it's the highest possible quality and we're not willing to sacrifice our quality to boost profit margins or speed things up. If we were to do so you'd see instances like this increase 10 fold.

We're working to get this resolved as fast as possible for Eugene and have been since day 1 three weeks ago. The unfortunate instance is that it was a rare backordered part and it's simply not been easy to get a new batch made from our supplier.
This is where my issue with ADV.1 comes. You seem to always include some sort of BS in your statements. Other than Triangle, over 50% of the inners and outers used in the USA are sourced from two companies in China/Taiwan. These chinese companies even have offices in LA to help distribute their products. Their parts are actually of very high quality and I have not seen any instance where there has been a catastrophic event like this when using their parts. MHT is no different than any of the other manufacturers. They also source from these 2 companies which they use to build your ADV.1 wheels as well.

You want to help your company? Post a certificate from STL Labs or any SAE/DOT certified lab where this specific wheel style, size, fitment and offset was physically tested and certified and and at what load rating and then you can blame your supplier for a part failure. Otherwise, ADV.1 is entirely to be blamed as this is the result of ADV.1s poor engineering and design, lack of physical/structural testing and lack of certification. If you tested the wheel, where are the pictures of the tested samples? Where are the certificates? I doubt that even an FEA was done on this part. After 2 years we are starting to see the catastrophic failures. You are manufacturing one of the most crucial components in a vehicle where a product failure could result in a fatality. Safety and quality standards should be the #1 priority.

And please don't challenge my post, because I`ll post information that will embarrass you. Cut the BS, state facts and stop putting blame on everything else and putting ADV.1 like the holy grail.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 10:56 AM   #167
Poofyo101
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
1990 BMW M3  [0.00]
Hopefully this gets resolved.
      03-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #168
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesis View Post
This is where my issue with ADV.1 comes. You seem to always include some sort of BS in your statements. Other than Triangle, over 50% of the inners and outers used in the USA are sourced from two companies in China/Taiwan. These chinese companies even have offices in LA to help distribute their products. Their parts are actually of very high quality and I have not seen any instance where there has been a catastrophic event like this when using their parts. MHT is no different than any of the other manufacturers. They also source from these 2 companies which they use to build your ADV.1 wheels as well.

You want to help your company? Post a certificate from STL Labs or any SAE/DOT certified lab where this specific wheel style, size, fitment and offset was physically tested and certified and and at what load rating and then you can blame your supplier for a part failure. Otherwise, ADV.1 is entirely to be blamed as this is the result of ADV.1s poor engineering and design, lack of physical/structural testing and lack of certification. If you tested the wheel, where are the pictures of the tested samples? Where are the certificates? I doubt that even an FEA was done on this part. After 2 years we are starting to see the catastrophic failures. You are manufacturing one of the most crucial components in a vehicle where a product failure could result in a fatality. Safety and quality standards should be the #1 priority.

And please don't challenge my post, because I`ll post information that will embarrass you. Cut the BS, state facts and stop putting blame on everything else and putting ADV.1 like the holy grail.

Wow!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 11:01 AM   #169
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:

i'm not necessarily defending them
but if this information (about not applying for any certification) is widely known
isn't it also partially the buyers fault?
      03-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #170
inandout
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4 Rings

Quote:
because I`ll post information that will embarrass you. Cut the BS, state facts and stop putting blame on everything else and putting ADV.1 like the holy grail.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #171
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Really? You're going to blackmail them? If you have something so incriminating, it sounds like something the community needs to know.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #172
BlackLight
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Exclamation Better analogy

is with the medical profession.

Nobody in their right mind will allow a non-certified "doc" to cut them open and re-arrange their parts.

But we are all too eager to allow a person with unchecked credentials to manufacture and sell parts that replace a highly engineered and tested and certified and QC'ed part from a manufacturer with a long history of proper and safe engineering.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #173
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

wow, this's better than any movie/tv show.

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #174
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV.1 Matt View Post
We use MHT's machines to mill and lathe our wheels. We've stated that many times and don't hide from that fact. Many manufacturers use MHT - they produce a significant volume of aftermarket wheels in this country in some way or another.
No you dont. MHT uses MHT's mills and lathes to make wheels for most aftermarket wheels companies. You simply import them to the US and then charge a crazy margin to the customer while offering shitty customer service the entire time. Again, just to be clear, you guys dont own any tooling you simply outsource everything. All I can say is you clowns are lucky this wasnt my broken wheel, OP your way too nice.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #175
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by the infamous... View Post
wow, this's better than any movie/tv show.
I rate it up there with Storage Wars
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #176
ADV.1 Matt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor251 View Post
No you dont. MHT uses MHT's mills and lathes to make wheels for most aftermarket wheels companies. You simply import them to the US and then charge a crazy margin to the customer while offering shitty customer service the entire time. Again, just to be clear, you guys dont own any tooling you simply outsource everything. All I can say is you clowns are lucky this wasnt my broken wheel, OP your way too nice.
Ummmm no. Feel free to come by the shop anytime...

ADV.1 CALIFORNIA
19200 S REYES AVE
EAST RANCHO DOMINGUEZ, CA 90221
Appreciate 0