BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

11-26-2009, 10:49 PM   #1
TomcatM3
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe (on order)

One More Smartphone Adapter Question...

I ordered my M3 with all the options I wanted, including the Smartphone Adapter. Weeks later I freaked out about my color choice (Alpine White), decided on another one (Silverstone). They were able to find one on the same boat but it has an alarm I don't want, the premium sound which I didn't order, AND the car does not have the Smartphone Adapter (but does have the Ipod/USB adapter). My salesperson is telling me I really don't need it. I have an iPhone. I use it mainly as a telephone, never as a music source, except for Pandora. To those of you that know from experience, will I regret not getting this option? No one at the dearlership has given me a 'knowledgeable'-from-experience answer. I think I can live with the phone not resting in a cradle, but would hate not to have it if the ATT reception is significantly enhanced or it does other things I could learn to never live without. Perhaps this is just a reason for me to cancel the whole car and order an M3 in a custom color, like that blazing orange that keeps popping up in the threads...or maybe a sparkling candy apple red. By now you have either guessed I'm 12 or in the midst of a mid life crisis. (It's the latter).

Last edited by TomcatM3; 11-26-2009 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: clarity
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 12:51 AM   #2
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3, 2010 e91 328i

Ipod/usb adapter works fine. To play music a memory stick is better anyway, cleaner sound. Good question about reception, no clue about that.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 01:12 AM   #3
JIO
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92 M3 w/DCT

I have an '09 M3 Coupe with the smartphone integration and the iPhone with the snap-in adapter. Every place I've tested the reception, which is supposed to be better in the cradle, has turned out to be the same as not having it plugged into the cradle. I wouldn't worry if you don't have the smartphone integration. Just use the USB cable included and you'll get the same reception. By the way, the snap in adapter for the iPhone cradle is $175. I have also heard if you have the latest iPhone 3G S, the pins are different and so the cradle won't work. Apple does make an adapter but it has to be very flush to plug it into the cradle. Lastly, in order to use the cradle, you have to remove the iPhone case, if you have one on the phone for protection.

Most of the time I just drop the phone into the center armrest and just use the Bluetooth. I only use the cradle on long trips. I would not order that option again.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 01:18 AM   #4
Tio///M
///M South Lead
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez Blk / Fox Red Ext

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIO View Post
I have an '09 M3 Coupe with the smartphone integration and the iPhone with the snap-in adapter. Every place I've tested the reception, which is supposed to be better in the cradle, has turned out to be the same as not having it plugged into the cradle. I wouldn't worry if you don't have the smartphone integration. Just use the USB cable included and you'll get the same reception. By the way, the snap in adapter for the iPhone cradle is $175. I have also heard if you have the latest iPhone 3G S, the pins are different and so the cradle won't work. Apple does make an adapter but it has to be very flush to plug it into the cradle. Lastly, in order to use the cradle, you have to remove the iPhone case, if you have one on the phone for protection.

Most of the time I just drop the phone into the center armrest and just use the Bluetooth. I only use the cradle on long trips. I would not order that option again.
I have the 3GS and the cradle works just fine. No problems at all FYI

MFlight!! .......NOW
///M SOUTH
on Facebook!!
FOR SALE!!
Appreciate 0