BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

04-11-2011, 07:06 PM   #1
jeffbchi
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Silverstone II

Engine Performance/DCT Issue AFTER Service (v 2.41.1)

I hope to get some guidance from you all regarding recent developments after a service visit.

First the stats - 2010 M3 E92 (10/10 build), M-DCT/Technology Package, 14,000 miles.

This car was running great. Unlike so many others, I was fortunate enough not to have any real issues related to engine performance or M-DCT. There were one or two low-speed, parking lot stalls early on but otherwise no problems drive line. Just before dropping the car off for a recent service, I did notice some clutch slippage pulling in and out of my garage. This I attributed to the cold weather/cold engine and trans. I never noticed any M-DCT Lag issues while underway as so many have reported.

The 3/28/11 service consisted of an engine oil change, replacement of a crackling speaker, and software reflash to v 2.41.1 per service bulletin 28 01 10.

Upon redelivery, I discovered two issues.

1) There has been a noticeable change in engine performance. The engine does not seem to rev as urgently and freely as before. There isn't any data to back this up, just seat-of-the-pants measurement. It also sounds more muted. Something else that I noticed is that the shift lights seem to be cycling on and maxing out early. In the past and as most of you probably know first hand, the engine would rev so fast that when the last red light comes on, you better be shifting for fear of risking an over-rev. In the current condition, the accelerator can be buried, when I see the last red light come on, there is time to mentally note the tach reading (estimated to be around 7,600) and skip a beat then shift.

2) There was an M-DCT lag issue that I had never experienced before nor have I been able to find a post where a similar experience was described. On Saturday morning I was driving on a winding country road, M mode engaged, sport plus power, M-DCT to S5. Approaching a second gear turn under braking and in the three next turns, particularly in the 3-2 downshift, after selecting the downshift using the paddle, the throttle would blip as expected (to around 6,000 to 6,500 RPM in the first instance) and there would be a noticeable (1 to 2 seconds) gap after the higher gear was disengaged and the lower gear engaged. It felt as though the car was in neutral for that amount of time and it probably was. No engine braking, just a feeling of continued and unexpected inertia. As I mentioned, this happened at least 3 times.

I took the car in this morning for some previously scheduled body work (deep scratch removal) and discussed the above with my SA. He was happy to have it looked at and got back to me in writing early this afternoon. The SA wrote: "My tech and my foreman drove the car and the M trans issue is normal, this is how it acts in this mode and in this driving profile. The issue with the yellow then red in the tach cannot be replicated in a way that is not proper at all, there are no faults at all, my foreman says the car drives and acts perfect!" I can accept the parts of this statement that relate to the shift lights and the engine performance but am outraged that they are saying that a noticeable lag in a 3-2 downshift in a mode as aggressive as S5 is "this is how it acts."

Has anyone had similar issues or recall reading about something similar? I'm a little frightened that I could be a trailblazer in a "2.41.1 ruined my car" movement.

Thanks for hanging in there and reading this far downhttp://www.m3post.com/forums/images/smilies/w00t.gif! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0