BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

12-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
Class-of-2016
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Winter Dusting Caked On. Advice Pls?

I'm about to clean the car for the first time after some winter dust/dried water has left its marks. My plan was to at a Self Car Wash:

1) High Pressure Rinse Off

2) Bathe car in Mother's car shampoo (pour over a bucket of sudded up car shampoo onto car, soak for a minute).

3) High Pressure Rinse Off

4) One more bathe car in shampoo and then use microfiber mits to clean car top to bottom w/ two bucket method.

5) High Pressure Rinse Off / Dry Car w/ dampened microfiber with detailing solution (Meguiar's quick detailer)

6) Klasse AIO application to polish and reseal

7) If I'm bored, Grand Finale Spray Seal (Zaino)

Let me know if you think I should do something different upfront to further prevent scratches from happening while washing the car up. I think the two lathering system is the best I can do without having a proper home pressure gun to add a foam lance to.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 01:48 AM   #2
bvhbmw
Detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

in step 2, consider using a stronger soap like an all-purpose-cleaner (I use Optimum APC).

In step 4, I prefer to use actual sheepskin wool mitts - they release dirt better.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 06:18 AM   #3
Class-of-2016
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvhbmw View Post
in step 2, consider using a stronger soap like an all-purpose-cleaner (I use Optimum APC).

In step 4, I prefer to use actual sheepskin wool mitts - they release dirt better.
Thanks, I end up looking at my mits or microfibers every time I reapply to the car. I rarely just dunk it and start wiping again. Reason I don't want to use APC is because won't that strip the wax or protectant I have on the car? I was almost going to use 1Z Einslett W99 etc
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #4
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class-of-2013 View Post
Thanks, I end up looking at my mits or microfibers every time I reapply to the car. I rarely just dunk it and start wiping again. Reason I don't want to use APC is because won't that strip the wax or protectant I have on the car? I was almost going to use 1Z Einslett W99 etc
Apc will strip protection but you want to use klasse aio so you should have a clean surface to work on.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
Class-of-2016
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
Apc will strip protection but you want to use klasse aio so you should have a clean surface to work on.
Good point, and normally if it were summer, I'd do just that. I was thinking the more protectant and waxes left on there + Klasse AIO on top for more protection, that could help me during the hard winter months. What do you think? It might not be the best "shine", but I'm more interested in layering up the protection from salt and grime. etc.

Today it was so freaking cold, I ended up just using the High Pressure Wash quickly to rinse of the dirt as best as possible, shampooed once, took through a Touchless Wash for extra measure. Afterwards, just blotted/patted it down to dry with a microfiber (not wiping), since I know there's still some residue winter film there (it's ever so slight, but didn't want to take a chance).
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #6
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Good point, and normally if it were summer, I'd do just that. I was thinking the more protectant and waxes left on there + Klasse AIO on top for more protection, that could help me during the hard winter months. What do you think? It might not be the best "shine", but I'm more interested in layering up the protection from salt and grime. etc.

Today it was so freaking cold, I ended up just using the High Pressure Wash quickly to rinse of the dirt as best as possible, shampooed once, took through a Touchless Wash for extra measure. Afterwards, just blotted/patted it down to dry with a microfiber (not wiping), since I know there's still some residue winter film there (it's ever so slight, but didn't want to take a chance).
The base layer of protection is what will help protect your cars paint. Whatever wax or sealant you had on before is what will help not the added products because one needs to bond to the paint. When you layer up the top waxes will add minimal protection since they aren't bonding to the paint
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 01:31 PM   #7
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:

Klasse aio will remove any previous wax or sealant you had on the car
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Have you heard of this "gary dean" one bucket method. It could help in preventing marring.

The main idea is not reintroducing dirty wash media back into the wash solution or paint. Basically he keeps multiple MFs in the wash solution and after using them on paint, they are set aside.

He uses a rinseless wash in the video, but the same steps can be applied to a regular wash with a presoak and rinse.

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #9
Class-of-2016
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensi09 View Post
He uses a rinseless wash in the video, but the same steps can be applied to a regular wash with a presoak and rinse.
So logical, it's like "why didn't I come up with that?!?" Good one. Since I already have a gazillion MFs at the ready, why not use them like this. One MF per panel and discard into the second bucket (as a container of dirties). Might have to try this idea.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 04:12 PM   #10
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

If you google it, he uses a pack of MF from Sam's club.

I think I'm going to try this in the future too, but not sure I want to use my "good" mf on a really dirty car.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 04:12 PM   #11
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

I think you mean salt + melted snow = white / dirty caking on the car

what about a bucket of warm/hot water to dissolve the salt and use warmer water to continue to wash.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #12
Class-of-2016
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingZeroX5 View Post
I think you mean salt + melted snow = white / dirty caking on the car

what about a bucket of warm/hot water to dissolve the salt and use warmer water to continue to wash.
Bam, good idea. I'm going to try that. That too is a practical way to do it.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 01:37 AM   #13
bvhbmw
Detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Use the APC, then apply some OptiSeal in the Winter months for great protection with easy application. If you prefer wax, try some Collinite 845 - it's fantastic and long lasting.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 06:24 AM   #14
Class-of-2016
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvhbmw View Post
Use the APC, then apply some OptiSeal in the Winter months for great protection with easy application. If you prefer wax, try some Collinite 845 - it's fantastic and long lasting.
Just read up on Collinite, sounds fantastic. I was looking for a wax type product that was about durability and longevity. This could be a winner and the price is right.

I'm hesitant to use Opti Seal despite the rave reviews. I don't think I'll be able to prep my car perfectly to utilize Opti Seal correctly. Also, I do like applying waxes or detailer on top of the sealant and Opti Coat is so strong you can't really do that as it simply washes off.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 07:22 AM   #15
JR M3
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Use a citrus cleaner to help clear off any road grime or dirt. I cleaned a customers AW M3 from canada which was caked on with salt and grime making the paint look almost yellow. I used Auto Finesse Citrus Cleaner and let is dwell for a few minutes and just washed it off after. Worked really well and got rid of all the salt with no effort at all.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 11:26 AM   #16
Class-of-2016
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR M3 View Post
Use a citrus cleaner to help clear off any road grime or dirt.
This seems like a great solution for winter when sudding up the car and bathing it is tedious (just did it today). I'll go with citrus cleaner the next time and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 01:45 PM   #17
Class-of-2016
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The base layer of protection is what will help protect your cars paint. Whatever wax or sealant you had on before is what will help not the added products because one needs to bond to the paint. When you layer up the top waxes will add minimal protection since they aren't bonding to the paint
I applied Klasse AIO recently, so for my next wash, I was thinking I would:
1) Apply Auto Finesse Citrus Cleaner (to melt grime/dirt/salt) that will be there

2) Wash Car (Touchless)

3) Apply Auto Finesse Tripple AIO on top.

What do you think? Would that work well. The Klasse application from the previous round should still be there right?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 02:01 PM   #18
Stronie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80M3 Comp. 6MT

Auto Finesse Citrus Cleaner interesting. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 03:10 PM   #19
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
I applied Klasse AIO recently, so for my next wash, I was thinking I would:
1) Apply Auto Finesse Citrus Cleaner (to melt grime/dirt/salt) that will be there

2) Wash Car (Touchless)

3) Apply Auto Finesse Tripple AIO on top.

What do you think? Would that work well. The Klasse application from the previous round should still be there right?
Klasse should be on still for sure but don't use af triple because that itself is an aio as well. It has some polishing abilities, filling ability, and minimal wax protection.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 04:45 PM   #20
Class-of-2016
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Klasse should be on still for sure but don't use af triple because that itself is an aio as well. It has some polishing abilities, filling ability, and minimal wax protection.
How do you feel about Collonite 845 Wax on top of Klasse AIO?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 05:36 PM   #21
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Klasse aio is a great prep for any wax or sealant.

I use collinite, but you might try klasse SG over the AIO as it's supposed to a better job at repelling dirt while lasting as long or even longer than the 845.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 06:37 PM   #22
Class-of-2016
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensi09 View Post
Klasse aio is a great prep for any wax or sealant.

I use collinite, but you might try klasse SG over the AIO as it's supposed to a better job at repelling dirt while lasting as long or even longer than the 845.
Only thing is SG sort of a pain to apply and you can't f-up I heard. Collonite on the other hand I could apply every month or something and it's easy to do so.
Appreciate 0