BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-25-2014, 11:59 PM   #45
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
169
Rep
1,948
Posts

Drives: Sprint car
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular guy View Post
GKim

The dyno notes say: Gregory, 13 M5: "Alex @ Alpine" Press File"

I'm not sure what that means. Is this car stock, or does it have some type of ECU tune?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 12:36 AM   #46
flipm3
E46 + E90
Philippines
68
Rep
2,799
Posts

Drives: E46 M3 + E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Very interesting to see the difference in AFR and Ignition between the Comp Package M6 and Stock M5 (w/ or w/o Press File).

Love seeing this stuff!
__________________
E90 M3 DCT|Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth | My Build Thread
E46 M3 6MT|Jet Black . Black Nappa Leather | My Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 03:15 AM   #47
Soorena
Captain
No_Country
42
Rep
852
Posts

Drives: M3 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Paris

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by regular guy View Post
The dyno notes say: Gregory, 13 M5: "Alex @ Alpine" Press File"

I'm not sure what that means. Is this car stock, or does it have some type of ECU tune?
Press file is supposedly a very weak tune based on the DAMOS file.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 09:56 AM   #48
Longboarder
Major General
662
Rep
5,349
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW i8
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Monarch Beach

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soorena View Post
Press file is supposedly a very weak tune based on the DAMOS file.
Is it supposed to yield results lower than the stock tune? This is lower than any stock M5/M6 dyno I've seen. Greg (owner) mentioned that another stock M5 pulled 3 cars on him on a roll-on.
__________________
Daily: 2016 i8 Chrystal White w/BMW iBlue / Terra World
Airstrip: 2015 991 Turbo S / FBO meth upgraded turbos
Track: 2015 991 GT3 / GT Silver, carbon bucket seats, steel brakes, red accents
Beaterz: 2013 X5 3.5 Sport, 2015 Wrangler Unlimited
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 10:33 AM   #49
Soorena
Captain
No_Country
42
Rep
852
Posts

Drives: M3 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Paris

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Is it supposed to yield results lower than the stock tune? This is lower than any stock M5/M6 dyno I've seen. Greg (owner) mentioned that another stock M5 pulled 3 cars on him on a roll-on.
I have no idea what's going on with these cars. Some show gains with tune, some show no gains and this clearly shows it lost power. To be precise the S63tu tunes which all are sourced from one place BTW aren't actually what you might consider a real tune. It's one of DAMOS file's more aggressive settings that DME accepts without showing any errors. It even can't eliminate CEL or top speed limiter. Did the car have catless DPs?
He should get a piggy till someone cracks the DME.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 10:42 AM   #50
Longboarder
Major General
662
Rep
5,349
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW i8
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Monarch Beach

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soorena View Post
I have no idea what's going on with these cars. Some show gains with tune, some show no gains and this clearly shows it lost power. To be precise the S63tu tunes which all are sourced from one place BTW aren't actually what you might consider a real tune. It's one of DAMOS file's more aggressive settings that DME accepts without showing any errors. It even can't eliminate CEL or top speed limiter. Did the car have catless DPs?
He should get a piggy till someone cracks the DME.
So these cars have been out for what...almost two years? Interesting that no one has been able to crack the DME for a successful flash. The dual Bosch ECUs have proven to be extremely formidable.

How are the piggy's doing? I presume owners are getting intermittent CELs and other bothersome attributes of a typical piggy. ??

So for the new M3/4's with presumably the same (or even more sophisticated tune prevention), what are the prospects of getting more power? I would think very limited, at least initially. Curious about your thoughts.
__________________
Daily: 2016 i8 Chrystal White w/BMW iBlue / Terra World
Airstrip: 2015 991 Turbo S / FBO meth upgraded turbos
Track: 2015 991 GT3 / GT Silver, carbon bucket seats, steel brakes, red accents
Beaterz: 2013 X5 3.5 Sport, 2015 Wrangler Unlimited
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 10:56 AM   #51
SouthShoreM3
Passes everything but the gas station
United_States
26
Rep
798
Posts

Drives: 2010 E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (2)

Great info Drew. You guys on the west coast have a whole other thing going on that we on the east coast can only hope to achieve one day.

This numbers for the new E63 and that ZL1 are absolutely crazy. That is a ton of power no matter how you splice it. Even when the car is hitting fuel cut off these vehicle are still well over or close to 500+ whp and torque.

That VF kit is certainly running strong as well. The M3 with the 625 kit. Was it running a catless set up as well or was it HFC and resonators?

Nevertheless looks like a lot of fun as always. Should try and branch out the Shift Sector event to the East coast.

With the right personnel in place to get it off the ground and running (which we know is a tremendous amount of work and time away from our day jobs). It could be something to consider.

Great car Drew. We all know how much blood, sweat and probably some tears (happiness of course) you and several others have put into this car. Really amazing.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 11:15 AM   #52
pbonsalb
Brigadier General
412
Rep
4,156
Posts

Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH

iTrader: (3)

What about putting the new Vortech V2-Ti Trim on the VT3 750? More boost at same pulley ratio, or the same flow at less boost, compared to a V2-T Trim or V2/V3 Si Trim.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 11:24 AM   #53
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
169
Rep
1,948
Posts

Drives: Sprint car
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
What about putting the new Vortech V2-Ti Trim on the VT3 750? More boost at same pulley ratio, or the same flow at less boost, compared to a V2-T Trim or V2/V3 Si Trim.
Two buddies of mine are going to do that. One engine is done, just waiting on the blower to arrive. The other is still a few months off.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 11:42 AM   #54
Soorena
Captain
No_Country
42
Rep
852
Posts

Drives: M3 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Paris

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
So these cars have been out for what...almost two years? Interesting that no one has been able to crack the DME for a successful flash. The dual Bosch ECUs have proven to be extremely formidable.

How are the piggy's doing? I presume owners are getting intermittent CELs and other bothersome attributes of a typical piggy. ??

So for the new M3/4's with presumably the same (or even more sophisticated tune prevention), what are the prospects of getting more power? I would think very limited, at least initially. Curious about your thoughts.
BMW were serious when they said they are going to make it hard for aftermarket tuners. The N63 is out even longer, and only DINAN has a proper flash tune. If you put a catless DP on that engine, DME would lower boost target! Talk about unfriendly platforms. I can only imagine things would be even harder for the S55.

With Burger Motorsport piggy you get the same problems that people (You are N54 former owner, right?) had with them in N54 platform. The twin JB+ setup doesn't allow more than 2-3 psi but for the money and the power (low 600s) there is nothing to beat them at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 11:52 AM   #55
Longboarder
Major General
662
Rep
5,349
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW i8
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Monarch Beach

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soorena View Post
BMW were serious when they said they are going to make it hard for aftermarket tuners. The N63 is out even longer, and only DINAN has a proper flash tune. If you put a catless DP on that engine, DME would lower boost target! Talk about unfriendly platforms. I can only imagine things would be even harder for the S55.

With Burger Motorsport piggy you get the same problems that people (You are N54 former owner, right?) had with them in N54 platform. The twin JB+ setup doesn't allow more than 2-3 psi but for the money and the power (low 600s) there is nothing to beat them at the moment.
Yeah a friend of mine has catless downpipes and while he dyno'd high (590 to the wheels), he can't go faster than 130mph otherwise he triggers a CEL/limp (checksum overboost seems to be triggering). He doesn't have a tune...but not sure a tune could even cure this. Can the piggys prevent DME controls from intervening sustained WOT? While I don't know for certain, the M5/M6's have vanished from our SoCal airstrip events. Some owners have mentioned to me that it's pointless to go because their mods trigger limps in the triple digits.

The future doesn't seem promising for the M3/4.
__________________
Daily: 2016 i8 Chrystal White w/BMW iBlue / Terra World
Airstrip: 2015 991 Turbo S / FBO meth upgraded turbos
Track: 2015 991 GT3 / GT Silver, carbon bucket seats, steel brakes, red accents
Beaterz: 2013 X5 3.5 Sport, 2015 Wrangler Unlimited
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 12:07 PM   #56
sales@ESSTuning
sales@ESSTuning's Avatar
224
Rep
3,154
Posts

Drives: ESS M3 / M4
Join Date: May 2007
Location: AZ

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Yeah a friend of mine has catless downpipes and while he dyno'd high (590 to the wheels), he can't go faster than 130mph otherwise he triggers a CEL/limp (checksum overboost seems to be triggering). He doesn't have a tune...but not sure a tune could even cure this. Can the piggys prevent DME controls from intervening sustained WOT? While I don't know for certain, the M5/M6's have vanished from our SoCal airstrip events. Some owners have mentioned to me that it's pointless to go because their mods trigger limps in the triple digits.

The future doesn't seem promising for the M3/4.
You will need full control over the DME to properly add power to these new turbo motors and not have issues. We are working on the M5/M6 now but it is a challenge that will take some time. The new M3/M4 will be no different.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 12:26 PM   #57
pbonsalb
Brigadier General
412
Rep
4,156
Posts

Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post

We are working on the M5/M6 now but it is a challenge that will take some time. The new M3/M4 will be no different.
That is OK since it will be some time before I can afford either . . . .
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 02:35 PM   #58
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
DLSJ5's Avatar
United_States
278
Rep
3,942
Posts

Drives: 2016 F82 M4 ZCP
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Is it supposed to yield results lower than the stock tune? This is lower than any stock M5/M6 dyno I've seen. Greg (owner) mentioned that another stock M5 pulled 3 cars on him on a roll-on.
More like 4 cars, lol.
__________________
16 F82 M4 DCT - ZCP - JB4 - 556WHP / 570WTQ
08 E92 M3 DCT - Bolt Ons - 60-130MPH 10.71s - 11.88 @ 118MPH - 377WHP
ESS VT2-625 SC 60-130MPH 6.80s - 11.30 @ 129.3 MPH 586WHP / 379WTQ
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.14s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690WHP/463WTQ
Shift-S3ctor E92 M3 - 1/2 Mile Trap Speed WR - 174.13 MPH
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 02:37 PM   #59
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
DLSJ5's Avatar
United_States
278
Rep
3,942
Posts

Drives: 2016 F82 M4 ZCP
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthShoreM3 View Post
Great info Drew. You guys on the west coast have a whole other thing going on that we on the east coast can only hope to achieve one day.

This numbers for the new E63 and that ZL1 are absolutely crazy. That is a ton of power no matter how you splice it. Even when the car is hitting fuel cut off these vehicle are still well over or close to 500+ whp and torque.

That VF kit is certainly running strong as well. The M3 with the 625 kit. Was it running a catless set up as well or was it HFC and resonators?

Nevertheless looks like a lot of fun as always. Should try and branch out the Shift Sector event to the East coast.

With the right personnel in place to get it off the ground and running (which we know is a tremendous amount of work and time away from our day jobs). It could be something to consider.

Great car Drew. We all know how much blood, sweat and probably some tears (happiness of course) you and several others have put into this car. Really amazing.
Thank you, I really appreciate your feedback. Not sure what the exhaust setup was on that VT625. Shift-S3ctor does indeed plan to branch out in other places around the country.
__________________
16 F82 M4 DCT - ZCP - JB4 - 556WHP / 570WTQ
08 E92 M3 DCT - Bolt Ons - 60-130MPH 10.71s - 11.88 @ 118MPH - 377WHP
ESS VT2-625 SC 60-130MPH 6.80s - 11.30 @ 129.3 MPH 586WHP / 379WTQ
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.14s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690WHP/463WTQ
Shift-S3ctor E92 M3 - 1/2 Mile Trap Speed WR - 174.13 MPH
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 02:54 PM   #60
SouthShoreM3
Passes everything but the gas station
United_States
26
Rep
798
Posts

Drives: 2010 E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (2)

Drew,

You are more than welcome. You and your M3 are a pioneer and limit pusher and most importantly an inspiration for many of us.

I am not sure who oversees the business side of this event and if you have involvement. Would love to try and discuss off line perhaps how I could get involved. I may not work for a tuner or aftermarket company for sponsorship, but I believe it could be of value both ways in terms of marketing and sponsorship. Many of us enthusiasts have a career outside of our cars. Perhaps there could be some value on both ends for events and branching out the potential ShiftSector brand.

Feel free to PM me.

Cheers all and again great stuff. I went to a Ferrari car show at the breakers in west palm on Saturday. Talk about beauty, soul as inspiration. Those Ferraris from the 60s are just amazing.

Andrew
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 03:47 PM   #61
e92livin
Major
e92livin's Avatar
Canada
30
Rep
1,107
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (7)

What x-pipe is Drew running? first page of thread it says Macht Schnell X pipe, I thought that car had the ESS x pipe on it.. Never knew Macht Schnell had a x pipe.
__________________
2008 E92 BMW M3 MR/BB 6MT
|Gintani Supercharged|Gintani X-Pipe|Stack Gauges|Volk TE37SL|BC Racing Coilovers|Hankook RS-3 |BMW Performance Spoiler|BMW Performance Steering Wheel|BMW Performance Side Gills + Grilles|Mode Carbon Variant 2 Splitter|IND Tri- Stitched Shift + Brake Boot - 566WHP, 371WTQ |

Last edited by e92livin; 01-27-2014 at 08:35 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 04:04 PM   #62
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
DLSJ5's Avatar
United_States
278
Rep
3,942
Posts

Drives: 2016 F82 M4 ZCP
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthShoreM3 View Post
Drew,

You are more than welcome. You and your M3 are a pioneer and limit pusher and most importantly an inspiration for many of us.
Thanks man, means a lot to hear stuff like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthShoreM3 View Post
I am not sure who oversees the business side of this event and if you have involvement. Would love to try and discuss off line perhaps how I could get involved. I may not work for a tuner or aftermarket company for sponsorship, but I believe it could be of value both ways in terms of marketing and sponsorship. Many of us enthusiasts have a career outside of our cars. Perhaps there could be some value on both ends for events and branching out the potential ShiftSector brand.
I'm very involved with them, let me talk to them and see where they're at with that. I will let you know, thanks again.
__________________
16 F82 M4 DCT - ZCP - JB4 - 556WHP / 570WTQ
08 E92 M3 DCT - Bolt Ons - 60-130MPH 10.71s - 11.88 @ 118MPH - 377WHP
ESS VT2-625 SC 60-130MPH 6.80s - 11.30 @ 129.3 MPH 586WHP / 379WTQ
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.14s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690WHP/463WTQ
Shift-S3ctor E92 M3 - 1/2 Mile Trap Speed WR - 174.13 MPH
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 04:06 PM   #63
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
DLSJ5's Avatar
United_States
278
Rep
3,942
Posts

Drives: 2016 F82 M4 ZCP
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92livin View Post
What x-pipe is Drew running? first page of thread it says Macht Schnell X pipe, I thought that car had the ESS x pipe on it.. Never knew Machet Schnell had a x pipe.
I was running an ESS prototype Xpipe, then eventually got their Xpipe with Cats, but decided I wanted to go cat less, I had to send the xpipe back to ESS and in the mean time I'm running the Macht Schnell, looks like it's a good choice, bit thanks to Tom as well. The Final ESS x-pipe should be back on soon with 4 resonators this time, no cats.
__________________
16 F82 M4 DCT - ZCP - JB4 - 556WHP / 570WTQ
08 E92 M3 DCT - Bolt Ons - 60-130MPH 10.71s - 11.88 @ 118MPH - 377WHP
ESS VT2-625 SC 60-130MPH 6.80s - 11.30 @ 129.3 MPH 586WHP / 379WTQ
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.14s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690WHP/463WTQ
Shift-S3ctor E92 M3 - 1/2 Mile Trap Speed WR - 174.13 MPH
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 01:37 AM   #64
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
169
Rep
1,948
Posts

Drives: Sprint car
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

KWelch

Car and Modifications:
  • 2013 BMW M5
  • Charcoal Filter Delete
  • Muffler Delete
  • 91 Octane
  • DCT
Conditions (Dynojet Weather Station):
  • Temperature:: 87.10 degrees F
  • Atmospheric pressure: 30.03 inHg
  • Humidity: 5%
  • Density Altitude: 2002 Ft.
  • SAE Correction: 0.982
  • STD Correction: 1.008
  • Uncorrected: 1.000
Results:
  • SAE Corrected: 552whp @ 6630 RPM, 516wtq @ 3080 RPM
  • STD Corrected: 566whp, 529wtq
  • Uncorrected: 562whp, 525wtq
Dyno Database:Individual Dyno Results:
Individual dyno results are shown below. The legend below has the following meaning:
  • Dyno Run: Dyno run file
  • Timestamp
  • Temp(F) = Temperature (Farenheit)
  • RelH = Relative Humidity
  • Pressure(Hg) = Barometric Pressure
  • DA(ft) = Density Altitude
  • IAT(F) = Intake Air Temperature (Farenheit)
  • WHP(unc) = Uncorrected wheel horsepower
  • WTQ(unc) = Uncorrected wheel torque
  • WHP(SAEd) = Dynojet SAE corrected wheel horsepower (SAE-1349)
  • WTQ(SAEd) = Dynojet corrected wheel torque (SAE-1349)



* Entry used for the Dyno Database

Graphs:

SAE Correction:

Dyno Chart:


Engine Vital Statistics:


Engine Vitals Combined:


STD Correction:



Uncorrected:

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 11:04 AM   #65
Longboarder
Major General
662
Rep
5,349
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW i8
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Monarch Beach

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
^ ^ ^ ^ nice numbers Kalon.

Yesterday Terry Burger dyno'd at Specialty Z and made some insane numbers...around 580/550 bone stock uncorrected on 93+ octane and then threw his piggyback on it and did something like 630/630 on 3-4 pulls and best yet no limps! Terry's going with us to Famoso this weekend and I'd love to see this thing break into the high 10's.
__________________
Daily: 2016 i8 Chrystal White w/BMW iBlue / Terra World
Airstrip: 2015 991 Turbo S / FBO meth upgraded turbos
Track: 2015 991 GT3 / GT Silver, carbon bucket seats, steel brakes, red accents
Beaterz: 2013 X5 3.5 Sport, 2015 Wrangler Unlimited
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w

Last edited by Longboarder; 01-29-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 11:27 AM   #66
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
169
Rep
1,948
Posts

Drives: Sprint car
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
^ ^ ^ ^ nice numbers Kalon.

Yesterday Terry Burger dyno'd at Specialty Z and made some insane numbers...around 580/550 bone stock uncorrected on 93+ octane and then threw his piggyback on it and did something like 630/630 on 3-4 pulls and best yet no limps! Terry's going with us to Famoso this weekend and I'd love to see this thing break into the high 10's.
Those dyno results are already in the S63 Dyno Database @ www.s63dynos.com.

Baseline:
http://www.s63dynos.com/showDyno.php?recID=645

Tuned:
http://www.s63dynos.com/showDyno.php?recID=648
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:15 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST