BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #23
dex37
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw16 View Post
I considered the Sporter CS for my E46 to gain headroom, but unless you are ready for real race seats, the only way to get headroom is to pull the sunroof out. I just finished doing this, but it's a lot easier to stomach in a 2005 E46 M3 then doing it to a 2013 E90 M3.
I have E92 with carbon roof. In the E90 there is much more headroom. And there is also no problem with bucket seats
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #24
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

If i was any taller there would be no headroom. Im 5'8" but oddly sit closer than some people the same or shorter than me. Maybe my torso is proportioned wrong? Maybe im trying to sit for maximum control. Mind blown sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #25
dmw16
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex37
Quote:
I considered the Sporter CS for my E46 to gain headroom, but unless you are ready for real race seats, the only way to get headroom is to pull the sunroof out. I just finished doing this, but it's a lot easier to stomach in a 2005 E46 M3 then doing it to a 2013 E90 M3.
I have E92 with carbon roof. In the E90 there is much more headroom. And there is also no problem with bucket seats
Why the hair being pulled out? I didn't say there was anything wrong with bucket seats. Previously I said there was something wrong with buckets, a harness bar, and harnesses. And there is.

As for head room I can only comment on the e46 which doesn't have much with a sunroof.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #26
dmw16
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079
If i was any taller there would be no headroom. Im 5'8" but oddly sit closer than some people the same or shorter than me. Maybe my torso is proportioned wrong? Maybe im trying to sit for maximum control. Mind blown sometimes.
Most people sit incorrectly for proper control of their car which I think masks headroom issues.

Also your build can impact it. I'm 5'10" tall but have shorter legs 29-30" inseam and a longer torso so I have headroom issues in my e46. Or had until I deleted my sunroof.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #27
dex37
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Why the hair being pulled out? I didn't say there was anything wrong with bucket seats. Previously I said there was something wrong with buckets, a harness bar, and harnesses. And there is.

As for head room I can only comment on the e46 which doesn't have much with a sunroof.
<- this was because in the E90 you don't have problem with headroom and bucket seats, whereas in the E92 you have a problem with the headroom and when you solve that problem with bucket seats, you get a problem with the backseats.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 04:23 PM   #28
dex37
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
That's the problem. I am 6'2. With helmet I have to move the seat back a little and lower the headrest.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 10:59 PM   #29
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex37
Quote:

&lt;- this was because in the E90 you don't have problem with headroom and bucket seats, whereas in the E92 you have a problem with the headroom and when you solve that problem with bucket seats, you get a problem with the backseats.
Even i have headroom problems in the e90. With a helmet its hard to turn your head back and look around when trying to enter the hotpits.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 12:17 AM   #30
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Even i have headroom problems in the e90. With a helmet its hard to turn your head back and look around when trying to enter the hotpits.
You should see how hard it is with a hans device.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 12:21 PM   #31
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3
Quote:
You should see how hard it is with a hans device.
I need a dedicated crew to push me there! Lol
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #32
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

i had to recline my seat slightly and sit a little further away then i would have liked in my e90 due to head room. now i just have my seat set down in the mounts far enough!

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 07:12 AM   #33
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex37 View Post
I'm not sure if the Sportster CS can be ordered with side airbags. The BMW Performance seats have it as an option. I've sat only in the Performance seats and I didn't find them much lower than stock. Or at least not low enough to give me enough head space with helmet. The bolsters are not adjustable, that's right. Apart from looking good, they don't offer any performance benefits. OK, racing look gives you at least 7hp more.
There are two mounting positions for the Performance seats. In the low position, you should have enough headroom with a helmet even if you're rather tall.

I do find them to offer a bit more support vs standard seats. Haven't tested the M3 seats though so I can't compare to those.

My main concern with the Performance seats is the weight. They are only 3 kgs lighter per seat compared to the stock seats.

My next step is to equip Schroth Rallye 4-point harnesses (will be installed this evening). Rear seats have been deleted.

I figure the Perf. seats + the harnesses should provide good support at the track. On the street I will continue using the stock seatbelt. A rollcage will be added later on. Most probably a halfcage. Although a full cage is of course better to improve the stiffness of the car. Halfcage only provides security in case of a roll over.
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #34
dex37
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn335i View Post
There are two mounting positions for the Performance seats. In the low position, you should have enough headroom with a helmet even if you're rather tall.

I do find them to offer a bit more support vs standard seats. Haven't tested the M3 seats though so I can't compare to those.

My main concern with the Performance seats is the weight. They are only 3 kgs lighter per seat compared to the stock seats.

My next step is to equip Schroth Rallye 4-point harnesses (will be installed this evening). Rear seats have been deleted.

I figure the Perf. seats + the harnesses should provide good support at the track. On the street I will continue using the stock seatbelt. A rollcage will be added later on. Most probably a halfcage. Although a full cage is of course better to improve the stiffness of the car. Halfcage only provides security in case of a roll over.
I've tried the performance seats in E92 M3 in the lowest position. You sit lower, but just not low enough. I agree with you, the offer much more support than the standard sport seats. Compared with the M3 seats, the difference is not that great anymore.

Honestly, if you are going to remove the backseat, then just get a recaro pole position. The seat is very comfortable even on longer trips. Especially with a half cage I wouldn't bother at all with the performance seats. With pole position you can still use the stock seatbelt.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #35
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

With fixed back though you want a cage at the minimum. If not, go with a reclining seat. A wise man once told me, you want the seat to collapse, not your neck.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 10:49 PM   #36
Everfly
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have Recaro pole on my e82 and yes i have access to back seat no problem
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 11:51 PM   #37
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

How do you fit the kids seat and kid thru that opening?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 08:43 AM   #38
dmw16
Captain
Rep

Quote:
With fixed back though you want a cage at the minimum. If not, go with a reclining seat. A wise man once told me, you want the seat to collapse, not your neck.
Do any of the reclining seats offer a lot better hold than the stock seat? The BMW performance seat doesn't recline, but I'd imagine is designed to collapse. I wouldn't trust other 3rd party companies to assure their seat would.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 09:21 AM   #39
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex37 View Post
I've tried the performance seats in E92 M3 in the lowest position. You sit lower, but just not low enough. I agree with you, the offer much more support than the standard sport seats. Compared with the M3 seats, the difference is not that great anymore.

Honestly, if you are going to remove the backseat, then just get a recaro pole position. The seat is very comfortable even on longer trips. Especially with a half cage I wouldn't bother at all with the performance seats. With pole position you can still use the stock seatbelt.
The lower position is indeed still on the high side with the Performance seats. Since it's a rebranded Recaro Sportster CS, one might be able to source alterntative mounting rails with lower positions?

I've had the Performance seats installed over two years ago. In that timespan, the car was gradually transformed from daily driver with a kids seat in the back into a weekend warrior/tracktool.

At the current state, I would probably get a lighter bucket seat, if I were to do it all over again.
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #40
Everfly
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
How do you fit the kids seat and kid thru that opening?
No real recaro child seat but booster seat no problem. I am 5' 5" and 140 i can get in and out easy. It look narrow but not bad as you think
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #41
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everfly View Post
No real recaro child seat but booster seat no problem. I am 5' 5" and 140 i can get in and out easy. It look narrow but not bad as you think
i dont have kids but would be worried about scratching up the seat back trying to stuff the thing in there. i have recaro profi spg in my e46.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #42
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46M

Quote:
Can you elaborate on this? So this is when the car is in a roll-over situation, and the roof is collapsing, correct?

The back of the seat seems to be quite strongly attached. So the amount of force necessary to collapse the roof to your skull and to push back the seat would be enough to crush the skull, no?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #43
dmw16
Captain
Rep

In a roll over most of what protects you from spine compression is the 3 point belt letting you slump forward.

That's what fixed seats and harnesses without a cage is a bad idea.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #44
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
In a roll over most of what protects you from spine compression is the 3 point belt letting you slump forward.

That's what fixed seats and harnesses without a cage is a bad idea.
The seat belt system in the E9X at least has pyrotechnic charges in the lap belt fixed points designed to work in combination with the pre-tensioners and hold you bolt upright in an accident. This, combined with the forces/time involved in a roll-over, are contradictory to the notion that you can move about/slump over in a BMW 3-point belt when rolling.