BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

11-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #1
iw_miked
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan (Jerez Black)

New M3 Owner - Techniques/Tips?

Hey everyone! Just got on these forums, looks like a great community!

I recently (early Sept) got myself a brand-spanking new Jerez Black 2011 M3 (Sedan), Comp. Pack, w/ DCT & DriveLogic. It's a hot car!

So, I'm new to the whole BMW Performance Car crowd and was wondering if I could get some tips/answers from you advanced drivers?

Best way to accelerate (using the Sequential mode)?
Sometimes, when I press about 50-60% on the gas, my acceleration is not smooth and starts to (not really stutter) but bounce? As if my foot is not steady enough on the gas pedal so it bounces back and forth. What are some techniques to help with this? Is it my foot? Or should I be slamming it all the way down each time? Or, maybe a better position for my foot? Like heel all the at the bottom of the pedal?

Brake Squeeking--already?
When coming to a light, ranging from 1mph - 10mph, and pressing about 30% on the brake, I noticed that my brakes will squeek. Not a high-pitch like other cars, more like a person whistling tone. Is this common? Should I get it looked at?

What DCT Program do most people use for normal driving? And for fun?
I have been switching between D mode 3 and D mode 1. D mode 1 I like cause it's really "chill" but lately I like D mode 3 cause I like the feel of the acceleration.
For the fun stuff, I have on my M-setting set to Sequential Mode 5. Haven't explored DSC off enough to set my M-setting to Mode 6 just yet. :P

The RPM LED Lights not working?
So, when I have my M mode 5 enabled, I have it set to turn on the RPM LED lights, but I don't see them light up. I saw them light up once, and it went to the 2nd light and then went off. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Bug in the software?

Any other tips?
Best methods for turning, shifting, etc?

You guys can debate on what are the best practices, but I am pretty sure I'll try all suggestions.

Thanks in advance for all your advice!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Cant stop the 'bounce'. Happens all the time in 1st when car is cold. Sounds horrible!
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

Using the D mode in DCT? So much of the 99.9999% of the DCT owners use S mode ONLY LOL
Anyways, Welcome and Congrats for your new car!

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 05:52 PM   #4
LTJohn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche GT3

after a couple hundred miles, bed the brakes in.
Do 5 full panic stops from 55, one after the other. That should help with the noises. If not, the dealer make put some anti-squeal stuff on the backs of the pads...
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 05:57 PM   #5
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocJohn View Post
after a couple hundred miles, bed the brakes in.
Do 5 full panic stops from 55, one after the other. That should help with the noises. If not, the dealer make put some anti-squeal stuff on the backs of the pads...
M3's user manual says that brake squeal is normal for this car. That being said, it is still a good idea to bed-in the brakes. @OP, if you don't know how to bed-in the brakes, do a google search first.
      11-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #6
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_of_Persia View Post
Using the D mode in DCT? So much of the 99.9999% of the DCT owners use S mode ONLY LOL
I am the .00001% that likes to drive and hold a cup of joe while driving.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 07:33 PM   #7
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by iw_miked View Post
S4 at the least, so you get rev matched down shifts. Nothing in D mode. Forget about that mode ASAP.
Quote:
You need to be doing a close to WOT acceleration and need to rev it till redline.
Quote:
Any other tips?
BMW, Porsche or similar car club's first car control clinics, and then high performance driving schools. This is serious, if you're serious about your question. It can't be learn by a short answer, or from a book. You need to be in a safe environment with good instructors and you need A LOT of seat time (and money).
      11-03-2011, 08:54 PM   #8
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Sometimes, when I press about 50-60% on the gas, my acceleration is not smooth and starts to (not really stutter) but bounce? As if my foot is not steady enough on the gas pedal so it bounces back and forth. What are some techniques to help with this? Is it my foot? Or should I be slamming it all the way down each time? Or, maybe a better position for my foot? Like heel all the at the bottom of the pedal?

I've never experienced any "bounce". I came from an e46 w/SMG and that taught me good right foot control. Maybe it's there but I can't find any fault with DCT except for lag going into 1st from reverse. The DCT is super smooth to me on take off, does it happen all the time or when the car is cold?

I have been switching between D mode 3 and D mode 1. D mode 1 I like cause it's really "chill" but lately I like D mode 3 cause I like the feel of the acceleration.

I alway drive in M mode, play with settings to see what feels best for you. S4 minimum=rev match dwn shifts. A nice performance exhaust really brings out the good stuff put out by the S65 engine.

So, when I have my M mode 5 enabled, I have it set to turn on the RPM LED lights, but I don't see them light up. I saw them light up once, and it went to the 2nd light and then went off. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Bug in the software?

I'd go a little easy until 1200 mi's, then open it up. It might be software controlled until you hit 1200 mi's...not sure though.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 10:16 PM   #9
ES_TRADER
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [10.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [8.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [10.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_of_Persia View Post
I use S mode 99% of the time. Don't like the computer shifting for me. I think I can do a better job. Esp when approaching right hand turns
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 10:16 PM   #10
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

Quote:
Sometimes, when I press about 50-60% on the gas, my acceleration is not smooth and starts to (not really stutter) but bounce? As if my foot is not steady enough on the gas pedal so it bounces back and forth.
I've found this tends to happen when the engine is cold, especially on downhill grades. Either more or less gas helps. Also, not using "sport" or "sport plus" power setting may help, as "normal" has more linear throttle mapping.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 11:49 PM   #11
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
I am the .00001% that likes to drive and hold a cup of joe while driving.
Hahaha, was looking so hard for that 0.00001%

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 11:57 PM   #12
llis
octane chick
United_States
Rep
Drives: ex-M

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 ZCP  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Make sure the "power" button is off. All it does is make the gas pedal more sensitive and twitchy.

Quote:
For the fun stuff, I have on my M-setting set to Sequential Mode 5. Haven't explored DSC off enough to set my M-setting to Mode 6 just yet. :P
I like S4 for normal driving. It will do the rev matching which is part of the fun! I use the paddles or stick all the time now.

Once you've done your 1200 mile break in and had the service, drive up into the higher revs. That's where the S65 magic happens!

Quote:
Same note about higher revs. Lights don't come on until you're close to redline.

Quote:
Any other tips?
Get thee to a HPDE! And have fun!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 08:37 AM   #13
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Welcome to the Forum and Congratulation, nice car.

Not much I can add what others already said, besides I don't have any of those issues since I have a 6MT

In time you will know your car like the back of your hand

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 08:47 AM   #14
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Welcome!

Lots of good info here already, so all I will say is enjoy the ride
      11-04-2011, 08:53 AM   #15
Budge
Professional Trophy Husband
Rep
Drives: '09 M3 Sedan DCT

You will find that your car will drive smoother in S mode than it will in D. The only time I ever switch to D is when I'm drinking coffee. You will find that in D mode, the car may not downshift as quickly as you would like for normal driving. If you mash the gas, it will. Overall, this car was meant to be shifted manually (S mode).

Another tip I learned was how to make the car stop hopping or decelerating too quickly when lifting off the gas in 1st or 2nd gear. I've gotten into the habit of upshifting to the next gear just as I'm about to lift my foot off the gas, especially in my driveway (it's long) or in my neighborhood. I still use downshifting to slow down for lights, but that's typically once I'm already in a higher gear to start with. When accelerating in low gears, the throttle response is very sensitive. I love my car.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 11:37 AM   #16
Dodge2Dub
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3; Ducati

Quote:
You will get better over time. I learned to be smooth with the throttle by keeping the Power button off, then switched to always running with the power button on once I learned how the car reacts and how my foot moves on the pedal. Essentially, you learn to keep your foot steady and to slightly add throttle input when you go over bumps and while the car is still cold.