BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

06-04-2012, 01:32 AM   #23
White person
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet black M3

I would never trade in my M3 for a boxster may for a gt3 4.0 I would
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 03:19 AM   #24
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

911 GT3 or bust
      06-04-2012, 03:38 AM   #25
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo M3 View Post
Interesting post. I have toyed with the idea of trading in my E90 M3 for a Cayman R or the '13 Cayman S. I really want to move from the large M3 to a smaller, more nimble two-seater. What is currently holding me back is the amazing V8 in our cars, and the practicality that the E9x M3 affords.
I feel the same for the V8 in our M3. I fear if i get a 991 C2S, i might miss the S65 so badly i would regret the move...
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 04:17 AM   #26
Small Yellow
Track Addict
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 E92 | 2008 Z4M E86

Quote:
Originally Posted by navarrojiii View Post
Need some opinions...

Let me start by saying that I love my M3. It is a technological marvel from the engine to the EDC, plus it's a sexy vehicle. I've owned an e36, e46 and this e92 M3 so I'm definitely a loyalist.... However the Boxster Spyder has really caught my eye!
My M3 is just my weekend car since I have a DD my job pays for, so practicality is not an issue for me. The spyder just seems like the perfect weekend car - the convertible top, superior driving dynamics, and just being fun to drive. Plus I live in So Cal where I rarely worry about inclement weather, not to mention I swear everyone and their mom drives an M3 here.
If the M3 was my DD there wouldn't be a question, it's so comfortable and great everyday but I really have an itch for this Spyder.
Should I pull the trigger?!
I feel bad I've only had the M3 for little over a year and I already want something else.
Thanks!!
Yeah I know what you mean! I would take the Cayman R or the Boxer Spyder if given the chance, but if I am going to have to keep the car long time, I would keep the M3 since its last N/A, first and last v8 m3, and possibly last coupe M3. I also understand the everyone have m3 issue... I often drive around and when I see a M3 I drive up to give them thumbs up and its either a mom or some college girl... I turn back and never look back for give them the thumbs up. I remember I met this girl once who owns a M3 and complained how stiff the ride was compared to her friend's 328i, she thought something was wrong with her car, made me want to slap her, people should stop buying M cars as status symbols. Oh wait thats "M"arketing.... sorry off topic... I need to stop drinking..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 06:41 AM   #27
CPB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911 turbo/E63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by navarrojiii View Post
Need some opinions...
Should I pull the trigger?!

Sure! Try something new. The Spyder is a great car.

Last edited by CPB; 06-04-2012 at 10:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 06:52 AM   #28
767IJP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3

Don't do it.

All personal opinion and personal taste but I think it's ugly. I like the look of the Cayman and the regular Boxster, but it looks "puffy" to me.

Step up not down get a GT3!

Good luck with your decision.
      06-04-2012, 08:36 AM   #29
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

as I need my M3 for more than just a fun car, I dont' think I woudl be very happy with a Boxster S or Cayman S.

I think the M3 engine note and exhuast is just intoxicating. Eveytime I get bored, I drop down a gear and give it some throttle and I fall back in love again.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #30
ching
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

I've seen these cars at the track on I think the Boxster Spyder is a great car and I know the car is super quick in the hands of a good driver, particularly on a technical track. Light too.
      06-04-2012, 08:49 AM   #31
DARK_M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 E90, 89 Grand Wagoneer

That'll be so cute! I say go for it!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 08:54 AM   #32
PaneristiDriver
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

Absolutely! A Cayman R isnt much slower (traps ~111 mph), and the handling, balance, suspension geometry and precision of it is on a completely and utterly different level than our M3s (have a friend who owned a Boxster Spyder and now has a Cayman R). There is no comparison as far as handling goes. The Spyder and R are world class performers on the track and off. Handling-wise, they are right up there with the best, the GT3/GT3RS/GT3 RS 4.0.
As far as the Z4M goes, it cannot compare. Even a 2006 Cayman S Gen I dominated the Z4M Coupe or Roadster in every aspect and the Spyder and R are again far, far above that level.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #33
Stealth ///M
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Why not get an e93 M3?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 09:09 AM   #34
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
I love all the "get the GT3", and "I'd only get the GT3 RS 4.0" comments.
I know, right? As if a $200,000 Porsche should be compared to an M3, Cayman R, or boxster spyder. Might as well throw the 458 spider in for consideration too, OP.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 09:18 AM   #35
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper519 View Post
^^^ This, exactly.

I still love love my M3 but have lusted after the Cayman R recently, too.

I track my M3 though, and really appreciate the practicality of loading up my DD with all my track wheels, tools, jack, canopy, cooler, etc, and going to a weekend event. All the Porsche guys are jealous when I show up and dump all that crap out in the paddock (sort of like that old schtik with the dozen clowns getting out of a Volkswagon beetle). They have to trailer it (heaven forbid) or skimp on all the track gear.

I'm not really a vert guy, but if I lived in Cali I might go for the Spyder, too!
Good point. It is awesome, how much we can fit in our cars. It's great to observe , over the past three years, all the bemused and surprised looks from other cars as I drive by with all sorts of crap loaded into the back seats and trunk: plants, bedposts, wheels, track supplies, camping gear, suitcases, etc.

At the same time, I only go to the track 2-3 times a year, at most. So, as Mkoesel rightly pointed out, it does not make sense to own a four-seater if I really do not need it. I can always rent an SUV or borrow a friend's car for these sorts of mundane trips. And if I ever move out of one of the worst cities in the world for a driving enthusiast, I will certainly get a second car for the 'extra' duties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
I feel the same for the V8 in our M3. I fear if i get a 991 C2S, i might miss the S65 so badly i would regret the move...
I don't know how I feel about the new C2S. I love it from an aesthetic point of view. However, I fear that the 911 is going the way of the M3 (larger, longer wheelbase, more isolated driving experience). As far as the 911 is concerned, to have the same driving experience as a Cayman R or Boxster spyder, you would need to move to the GT3, which is at a completely different price point.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #36
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth ///M View Post
Why not get an e93 M3?
Probably because he listed "superior driving dynamics" as one of the reasons why the Boxster Spyder has his attention. The E93 M3 will be a step backward from the E92 M3 in that regard, not a big leap forward like the Spyder will be.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #37
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Probably because he listed "superior driving dynamics" as one of the reasons why the Boxster Spyder has his attention. The E93 M3 will be a step backward from the E92 M3 in that regard, not a big leap forward like the Spyder will be.

Four hundred extra pounds over an E92 would not be the direction to go in for the guy looking at a Boxster Spyder.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #38
warp10
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Jet Black:ZCP, ZCV, ZP

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2011 28i X3  [0.00]
My dad has a Boxster Spyder and I have driven it many times. Awesome car for canyons and track. Yes the top is a pain in the arse to put up, but it is not that bad once you know how to do it. Spyder is a great car and if the financing was better when I was looking I would have ordered one, instead of the M3. Just my .02.
      06-05-2012, 11:59 PM   #39
VamosBimmertech
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

NO, i dont consider a boxster a porshe
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 07:14 AM   #40
Thrumcap
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Audi Q7

If I didn't need a back seat, the new Boxster S looks very appealing. It is definitely a "real" Porsche now and to me the best looking of all of them. If only it had another 50-80 HP.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #41
alms211
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler&Koch View Post
I would never buy a car in California. I have been spoiled as a California resident living in Oregon where there is no sales tax, thus why on Earth would I ever buy a car that is way overpriced and has tax in California? No thanks. Not worth my time or money. Sorry just my rant on California and their bullshit prices and taxes.Anyway....

I toyed the idea of a Porsche Cayman S or R and saw them and couldn't really get into them because they need some work to get them to where I would like them to be = to much money. I have a 2009 X5 for my daily driving and M3 for weekends but honestly if you leave the E92 M3 the next step up if thats what you are going for would be nothing less than a Porsche 911, Gallardo, R8, ZR1, etc.

The Porsche Cayman S/R is a rival of the 2006-2008 Z4MC so that is a step back in reality (well that is up for debate). Even the R with more power is still a rival of the E86 Coupe, not the E92 M3 or the new F series M3/M4.

They just sit on lots up here in the PNW and don't move. Well the prices move south. lol

I say don't do it. Not worth it.
You do realize that you pay taxes in the state where you register the car, do you not? If you buy a car in Oregon and live in CA, you pay CA sales tax.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #42
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:

The Porsche Cayman S/R is a rival of the 2006-2008 Z4MC so that is a step back in reality (well that is up for debate). Even the R with more power is still a rival of the E86 Coupe, not the E92 M3 or the new F series M3/M4.

They just sit on lots up here in the PNW and don't move. Well the prices move south. lol

If you just look at a spec sheet and numbers, sure the Cayman S/R is close to the Z4MC but when you DRIVE the car, it is night and day difference. The mid engined Cayman is just head and shoulders much more involving and dynamic to drive. People will go on about how one car is faster or carry more Gs in corners etc but the experience of driving is different.

If you had the Cayman R at the identical price of the M3, I would buy the Cayman R hands down. Unfortunately it costs a lot more.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #43
PaneristiDriver
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

Quote:
I would never buy a car in California. I have been spoiled as a California resident living in Oregon where there is no sales tax, thus why on Earth would I ever buy a car that is way overpriced and has tax in California? No thanks. Not worth my time or money. Sorry just my rant on California and their bullshit prices and taxes.

Anyway....

I toyed the idea of a Porsche Cayman S or R and saw them and couldn't really get into them because they need some work to get them to where I would like them to be = to much money. I have a 2009 X5 for my daily driving and M3 for weekends but honestly if you leave the E92 M3 the next step up if thats what you are going for would be nothing less than a Porsche 911, Gallardo, R8, ZR1, etc.

Z4M Coupe is not even close to being in the same game as a Cayman R.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/compariso..._cayman_r.html

Cayman R is not only much faster in a straight, it is embarassingly faster in the track than a Z4MC. Just on Hockenheim the Cayman R is 5 seconds faster. And the Cayman R has run under 8 mins on the Ring where the Z4M is well above 8 mins. On other tracks you'd see 2-3 faster laps for the R on even short tracks (2 min or under). Even the 1M, which is faster than the Z4M cant touch a Cayman R, or even S for that matter.
As per above, on paper they may be close, but when a Cayman R puts down ~20 more RWHP than a Z4M that s making the same crank hp its not even close. Not to mention its balance and steering are beyond superior which is worth far more than the hp and its slightly lower weight.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #44
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell
I love all the "get the GT3", and "I'd only get the GT3 RS 4.0" comments.
Reminds me of something I overheard last year.

GuyA: is that a BMW M car?
GuyB: (driver of a black mustang) yeah, I guess
GuyA: looks pretty mean
GuyB: yeah, but I wouldn't want one unless its the GTS
GuyA: GTS? Sounds cool. The name I mean.
GuyB: yeah, that's the only M car worth to buy

I was sure if I should laugh?