BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest

Mporium BMW

05-29-2018, 11:31 PM   #1
atruelunatic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: n/a

WSP / SPD and front plates

Does WA State Patrol and/or Seattle PD/parking enforcement ticket for no front plates?

CA Highway Patrol would pull me over a bunch since I had tinted windows and no plate, so I threw on my front plate and have never been pulled over for it.

Was just wondering how WA compares. Are they more lenient?
      05-29-2018, 11:44 PM   #2
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

I think it depends on what specific area of WA, some areas are typically worse than others. It seems like police agencies in the sound end are more strict - Renton, Kent, etc.

In Seattle, I'd be more careful. There are members here who've posted getting a ticket on their car when parked on a city street.

Eastside, I haven't heard of much trouble. My dad was a volunteer with Bellevue PD for 15 years, just to keep himself somewhat busy in retirement. He knew most of the traffic officers, and I had him ask several of them if they enforce no front plates. Almost all of them said they'd never bother with that sort of thing.

I haven't run front plates on either of my cars for years now, and have never had any trouble.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 02:25 AM   #3
TWiTCHY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 AW E92 M3

I agree with all of the above post. Driving and parking around mainly on the east side, I haven't had any issues. My sibling, on the other hand, has had particularly bad luck in Seattle, having received three tickets for no front plate while parked.

Down in Tacoma, my friend received a warning while parked (never heard of that!), although I suspect the LEO expressed leniency due to the fact that he had LEM plates.

I've heard of rare occasions where people have been pulled over and ticketed for no front plate as a secondary violation, but never as primary.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 09:37 AM   #4
N8bmw
bizarreridetotheM3side
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone e90 M3

I ran no plate for the 6yrs I lived in Seattle/Ballard/Fremont area. I was pulled over once, going through Olympia. Cop was cool and just gave me a warning.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 11:25 AM   #5
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW E92 M3 ZCP

Can't speak for WA but in OR I've been running no front plates for 5 years now. Only got a ticket once and that was because I parked on city street and parking enforcement got me. I only park in private lots now. For most cops, it's out of sight, out of mind. Unless you're speeding and they're trying to ID you before they pull out of the hiding spot.
      05-30-2018, 11:36 AM   #6
UPSROD
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
In Eastern Washington the WSP will mess and usually write a ticket. Here they mess with everybody every chance they get!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 01:07 PM   #7
notouching
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: -

I haven't ran a front plate in the last 3 years and got pulled over once in Redmond couple of years ago for no front plate, but I would guess I attracted cop's attention with my loud exhaust. I got a ticket (not a fix-it-ticket) and paid it, considered it a "no front plate tax".

Interestingly, my insurance company at the time, Geico, saw that the ticket appeared on my record as something like a "stolen license plate violation" and they raised my premium due to that. I later switched to State Farm and they said that while they see that ticket on my record, they don't count it as something that can raise my premium.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 05:27 PM   #8
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

Live in maple valley and commute thru DT renton, tukwila, and south seattle area. I've been pulled over a couple times in the renton area for no front plate. I've been followed in MV for whatever reason. Been ticketed for window tint.
      05-31-2018, 08:43 AM   #9
mrggbrown
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 Coupe

I had gone without a plate for about 15 years, only getting stopped once with a verbal warning. Then about 9 months ago I got stopped by Redmon police and ticketed for $136, so I broke down and added the plate via the tow hook. I've heard of others in Redmond, especially around the Microsoft campus, getting ticketed too.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 08:55 AM   #10
UPSROD
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
All it takes is one prick to make it his mission!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 10:28 AM   #11
CjM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Hmm weird, I work in downtown Redmond close to whole foods and haven't been hassled by the cops for no plate. I could be lucky and just one hasn't seen me. But in the 4 yrs I've owned mine I haven't even been pulled over. I live north/eastside though Mill Creek/Bothell mostly.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 12:07 PM   #12
notouching
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrggbrown View Post
I had gone without a plate for about 15 years, only getting stopped once with a verbal warning. Then about 9 months ago I got stopped by Redmon police and ticketed for $136, so I broke down and added the plate via the tow hook. I've heard of others in Redmond, especially around the Microsoft campus, getting ticketed too.
Yep, I got pulled over for no front plate in Redmond on 51st and 150th, right by Microsoft campus. A younger cop in a Redmond PD Charger. Guess there is no other crime in Redmond.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 12:09 PM   #13
astris
Major
Rep
Drives: M4 ZCP Individual Mintgruen

I haven't had a front plate in around 15 years. Lived in San Diego and now Seattle. I have never been pulled over or ticketed solely for not having a plate.

In Seattle, currently living in Fremont and previously in Capitol Hill. Zero issues. I have an off street parking spot at home, but when it is on the street or when driving, no issues.

Now that I think about, I don't think I've ever even seen a cop pull someone over in Seattle proper in the 2+ years I've been here.
      06-01-2018, 04:37 PM   #14
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

About 4 years ago I got pulled over by WSP south of Olympia just for not having a front plate. I said it was never installed by dealer and got a warning. The whole thing was ridiculous though. That was part of my 2 months where I got pulled over 4 times for no good reason in my old M3. For that and some other excuses I sold it... and quickly regretted it.

I didn't run a front plate on my 235i lease, no issues. I am running front plate on my new M3 but only because the bumper was already drilled. I don't mind the look that much but if I have a choice I prefer the clean bumper so euro bumper is in my future with as needed tow hook mount.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 06:54 PM   #15
Hunt3R
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Seattle parking enforcement will get you for any possible thing that they can think of if your car parked on the street.
Appreciate 0