BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

05-25-2011, 10:19 AM   #67
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejheverest View Post
oil and gas field. 3 weeks on and 3 weeks off, drill rigs, ships, semisubmersibles, jackups and platforms. Job absolutely sucks but, if someone wants to save up money in there 20's and then do something else when they turn 30 and have a family, its not a bad field.
A few buddies I know- painting business, commercial lobsterman, electrician, they all do pretty well too.
That's what I would have guessed if pushed. I was an oil and gas auditor in the 1980s and have family in Slidell, so I know of the people you speak. Be safe and don't get injured, it's dangerous work.

Construction, when it's hot, can pay a young person handsomely also. Right now, except for a few pockets, it's rough going.

Dave
      05-25-2011, 10:21 AM   #68
991GT3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by novablackm3 View Post
i don't, novablackx5m is my friend NOT me. he has a Black one and I have a white one.. although having 2 usernames and arguing would be pretty entertaining.

and no thats not his 'daddy's' car either lol

997gt3 i'm sure you're going to be asked if your two cars are your daddies.. btw great combination of cars 1000+ hp between the two cars.

Thanks for the clarification.
BTW, I'm not interested in the "your daddy bought the car" thing. It's silly.
That said, I wish my dad did buy my cars. It would save me a bundle.

-2016 Macan Turbo(GF vehicle)
-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 10:53 AM   #69
Dodge2Dub
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3; Ducati

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejheverest View Post
oil and gas field. 3 weeks on and 3 weeks off, drill rigs, ships, semisubmersibles, jackups and platforms. Job absolutely sucks but, if someone wants to save up money in there 20's and then do something else when they turn 30 and have a family, its not a bad field.
A few buddies I know- painting business, commercial lobsterman, electrician, they all do pretty well too.
Of course, pay comes with physical risk in these fields.
      05-25-2011, 01:24 PM   #70
ejheverest
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i

Quote:
off shore / oil rigs. made alot of money w/ those companies in the market as well - SLB, OII, DVN,RIG etc...

those guys deserve every penny. living in the middle of the ocean , manual labor and rigs operating 24/7 or 97%+
+1 on making money on RIG in the market. I also work for them.
      05-25-2011, 01:27 PM   #71
ejheverest
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i

DODGE2DUB- I'm jealous of your car collection- if you had to choose one, which would it be the X5D or the M3? How does the X5 do with that JBD Tune?
      05-25-2011, 01:41 PM   #72
Dodge2Dub
Captain
Rep

Personally, I'm not an SUV fan (wifey's car), but if you have to have one, the X5d is amazing! The power delivery is astonishing for such a heavy truck and with the JBD tune (turned to 85%), it really feels like a sporty car. Our X5 has the sport suspension/tires, so it's even a hoot in the canyons!

...and lets not forget the sound of the diesel rattle - at least then I don't feel too much like a soccerdad when driving it!
      05-25-2011, 02:47 PM   #73
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVABlackX5M View Post
SEEMS like you and your daddy is in the wrong business.
I don't think so. We've had our share of nice cars. Still do.

Quote:

this thread is getting pretty funny now.. and off topic but i'll entertain you for the day.

first of all thank you for thinking i'm ~20 i'm actually in my 30's just blessed w/ good asian gene's.

'impossible for a ~20+ year old to own two cars w/out daddy'
Have you heard of the IT field? or just never heard or seen an entrepreneur or stock market? Really no need to justify to internet haters but i have been working my ass off for the past 13 years as you probably have been as well. I'm also part of a very successful company which i helped build. I'm also fortunate that my 'daddy' actually works for me,taking care of parents in korean culture is a pretty big thing.

Also some quick math 100k salary can't and shouldn't be able to afford a 100k car. generally 1/3 or 1/4th of your yearly income should be what your car is, otherwise your stretched too thin or don't have a mortgage lol.
For example if your making 100k anything above 30~40k car is really financially irresponsible if you have other bills to pay..

'I run a family owned business with my father, that's why I can afford what I can.'
guess your the one who has daddy involved. Sounds like its HIS business, taking money out of the family business to drive a nice car... prob not the best business decision. Just make sure your daddy is taken care of first before you take money away from your families livelihood

'The only concern that I have was that no money could of really saved him if a pedestrian had come out of nowhere and was hit and with those speeds, nodoubt would of been dead'

common man stop being so over dramatic it was a quick run on an open road w/ NO one walking the sidewalks, you telling me you NEVER took off like that on the streets? different story if this went on for a few miles but it was for LESS than a 1/4 mile sprint.

Back to cars..

We did do a few more runs w/ me driving and the results were quite different w/ the m3 pulling ahead easily once traction hooked up. I do agree that the m3 on a roll wasn't holding gear but neither was the x5m... this wasn't a m3 bashing thread from an x5m owner i own both cars and LOVE them both.
Who said anything about taking money out of the business? My father has worked his butt off and that's the reason I'm in the business, so he can retire. Same thing goes for the Middle Eastern culture, parents are dear.

Didn't you just say you're part of a family owned business as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
My 23 year old daughter makes that and so does her 24 year old roommate and it has nothing to do with me, other than maybe good genetics and paying for most of her college. Top graduates in a number of degree fields can make that much right out of college.

Of course, 100-grand ain't what it used to be...

Dave
Having too many degrees is never a bad thing. That's how you get things done at a young age. You've raised her well, dear sir.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #74
Werkz12
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
See, it's impossible for a ~20+ year old to own TWO 70k+ cars without daddy. I mean, he could of inherited a fortune, or have a family owned business but that would be a different story. Nobody in their 20's is making 100k+ a year. He could be living with mommy and daddy but you still wouldn't be able to make that much bank. I run a family owned business with my father, that's why I can afford what I can. Nothing to be ashamed of. Saying he owns a 90k car and a 70k car AND wants an M5 which will be 100k+...well that's sort of a dead give away daddy is in the mix.

The only concern that I have was that no money could of really saved him if a pedestrian had come out of nowhere and was hit and with those speeds, no doubt would of been dead.
Nobody in there 20's is making 100k plus- are you kidding? You are clueless.
Plenty of 20 something here who earn a nickle plus a year. There are kids in college trading who have had 300k days. Yes, 300k in one day. Get a clue...

Ever watch Wall St Warriors? This guy "began his trading career from his college dorm room where he turned his $12,000 Bar Mitzvah money into a fully audited pre-tax sum of $1.65 million dollars."

Last edited by Werkz12; 05-27-2011 at 04:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 04:50 PM   #75
chungdae
The Asian Sensation
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Alpine White M3, S1000RR

Quote:
See, it's impossible for a ~20+ year old to own TWO 70k+ cars without daddy. I mean, he could of inherited a fortune, or have a family owned business but that would be a different story. Nobody in their 20's is making 100k+ a year. He could be living with mommy and daddy but you still wouldn't be able to make that much bank. I run a family owned business with my father, that's why I can afford what I can. Nothing to be ashamed of. Saying he owns a 90k car and a 70k car AND wants an M5 which will be 100k+...well that's sort of a dead give away daddy is in the mix.

The only concern that I have was that no money could of really saved him if a pedestrian had come out of nowhere and was hit and with those speeds, no doubt would of been dead.
That's beyond ignorant. Jealous people envy; including you.
2009 BMW M3: Current
2011 BMW S1000RR: Current
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 09:27 PM   #76
Res Ipsa
Local LOLyer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Nobody in their 20's is making 100k+ a year. .
Speak for yourself.
      05-27-2011, 09:48 PM   #77
rabman5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: none

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
bus's are parked there but they actually don't come out to that road, also a 0~90 sprint w/ clear road ahead
Look at the first video at 0:06 Looks like a moving school bus. Street racing in traffic fail.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 09:01 PM   #78
sakimano
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi RS4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onurleft View Post
A stock E92 will run 12.30s@114+ in perfect conditions with perfect driving.

X5's are trapping 108-111.

There should be no arguing in this thread. A stock E92 M3 with the right driver is faster in every way shape and form, except off the hit. Freaking duh, it's called torque.

you may need to further qualify that though...and mention that that kind of time is likely only achievable on a stock test car handpicked and given to a magazine by BMW...and only the 2011-2012 models...and only when being compared to the 450hp RS5 and 550hp CTS-V. I don't remember seeing ANY of the E9X M3 tests producing even mid 12s times before the past 4-5 months when the competition got a little bump.

Reality? M3 owners I've seen at the strip struggle to get into the 12s on more than 1 pass at a test and tune. 12.7-13.3 is the range I typically see guys run and I've only seen a couple of 12.5ish 'best of the day' times by E9x M3 guys at the local dragstrip, even with a couple of mods like exhaust etc. Bone stock cars rarely run 12.6-7 even.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 09:34 PM   #79
Dodge2Dub
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakimano View Post
you may need to further qualify that though...and mention that that kind of time is likely only achievable on a stock test car handpicked and given to a magazine by BMW...and only the 2011-2012 models...and only when being compared to the 450hp RS5 and 550hp CTS-V. I don't remember seeing ANY of the E9X M3 tests producing even mid 12s times before the past 4-5 months when the competition got a little bump.

Reality? M3 owners I've seen at the strip struggle to get into the 12s on more than 1 pass at a test and tune. 12.7-13.3 is the range I typically see guys run and I've only seen a couple of 12.5ish 'best of the day' times by E9x M3 guys at the local dragstrip, even with a couple of mods like exhaust etc. Bone stock cars rarely run 12.6-7 even.
What's up Saki! I used to be on Audizine with my B7S4.

I don't want to flame you, but I will say my M3 is a helluva lot faster than my IS350 (13.2) and my B7S4 (13.4). Take that for what it's worth, but guys running 13.3's at sea level with an E9x M need to check and see if their right foot is still connected before going to the drag strip!
      06-01-2011, 09:57 PM   #80
AngelinIsRich08
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X5M, '09 CTS

See, it's impossible for a ~20 year old to own TWO 70k cars without daddy. I mean, he could of inherited a fortune, or have a family owned business but that would be a different story. Nobody in their 20's is making 100k a year. He could be living with mommy and daddy but you still wouldn't be able to make that much bank. I run a family owned business with my father, that's why I can afford what I can. Nothing to be ashamed of. Saying he owns a 90k car and a 70k car AND wants an M5 which will be 100k ...well that's sort of a dead give away daddy is in the mix.

The only concern that I have was that no money could of really saved him if a pedestrian had come out of nowhere and was hit and with those speeds, no doubt would of been dead.[/QUOTE]

To OP's defense I'm a 26 year-old entrepreneur and have bought an X5M and a house. I love America! I grew up very poor but my parents were smart and we immigrated to the States in the early nineties. They built up their own very successful hospitalist group. I suppose I owe my success through their example of hard work and success but we are in completely different fields. But it's definitely more common to see people in their mid-20s and early 30s sporting around hundred thousand dollar cars. Have you seen any of the kids on Wall Street? And especially now with the Internet boom it's becoming much easier to become wealthy.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 10:08 PM   #81
AngelinIsRich08
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X5M, '09 CTS

(my upper post quotes a different user but it isn't in quotes like usual because I accidentally deleted some parts. My bad. But the lower half is what I wrote)
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 11:01 PM   #82
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res Ipsa View Post
Speak for yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chungdae View Post
That's beyond ignorant. Jealous people envy; including you.
Ignorant? How am I jealous exactly? My Garage has 2 70K BMW's in it with 2 more to come.I was misinformed, obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by das144 View Post
Nobody in there 20's is making 100k plus- are you kidding? You are clueless.
Plenty of 20 something here who earn a nickle plus a year. There are kids in college trading who have had 300k days. Yes, 300k in one day. Get a clue...

Ever watch Wall St Warriors? This guy "began his trading career from his college dorm room where he turned his $12,000 Bar Mitzvah money into a fully audited pre-tax sum of $1.65 million dollars."

It really seems I am. Thanks for setting me straight. My apologies for making a statement without having a backing.
Appreciate 0