BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

01-05-2014, 03:10 PM   #1
mamadub
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red 2011 E93

Question about my battery!

Hi Everyone,

The last two times after I've washed my car, I've gotten an excessive battery discharge warning. It went away both times after I drove the car for a while. It has not happened when the car has not been washed. I'm just wondering if anyone knows why this would happen only after the car is washed and should I replace the battery just to be on the safe side? My car is a 2011 and driven several times a week.
Thanks,
Cheryl

Black Novillo Extended Leather, Convenience Package, Premium Package 2, DCT, DDC, BMW Apps, Custom Stereo upgrade, Eisenmann Sport Black Series Exhaust, 20"HRE's P45SC's. Color matched Brembo 380/345's, KW Coilovers
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 03:42 PM   #2
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadub View Post
Hi Everyone,

The last two times after I've washed my car, I've gotten an excessive battery discharge warning. It went away both times after I drove the car for a while. It has not happened when the car has not been washed. I'm just wondering if anyone knows why this would happen only after the car is washed and should I replace the battery just to be on the safe side? My car is a 2011 and driven several times a week.
Thanks,
Cheryl
Cheryl your battery needs this......
Attached Images

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 04:53 PM   #3
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

I'm wondering if there is a slight water leak somewhere that's causing an intermittent short. Is the battery compartment dry?

How do you wash your car? Do you just use a hose, or do you have a pressure washer?
      01-05-2014, 05:18 PM   #4
mamadub
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
I'm wondering if there is a slight water leak somewhere that's causing an intermittent short. Is the battery compartment dry?

How do you wash your car? Do you just use a hose, or do you have a pressure washer?
Admittedly, I've never taken the trunk apart to look. I will have to do that. However, I vacuum the trunk and have never seen any evidence of water. I wash my car with a hose just like I've always washed it since it was new. Thanks for trying to help me figure this out.

Black Novillo Extended Leather, Convenience Package, Premium Package 2, DCT, DDC, BMW Apps, Custom Stereo upgrade, Eisenmann Sport Black Series Exhaust, 20"HRE's P45SC's. Color matched Brembo 380/345's, KW Coilovers
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 05:19 PM   #5
mamadub
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 06:01 PM   #6
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Cheryl, are you washing the car with the key in your pocket? With comfort access the water pressure will trigger the locks to lock and unlock when you're close to the door. I would think locking and unlocking could cause this due to system being turned on during the unlocking process....................Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 06:08 PM   #7
mamadub
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
Cheryl, are you washing the car with the key in your pocket? With comfort access the water pressure will trigger the locks to lock and unlock when you're close to the door. I would think locking and unlocking could cause this due to system being turned on during the unlocking process....................Phil
Interesting idea! I actually leave the key in the car when I am washing it. My car is going in for a huge stereo upgrade tomorrow and I won't get it back for two weeks. (Very excited ) But I will try washing it with the key in the house next time to see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the suggestion!

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 08:27 AM   #8
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashman View Post
Dude, do you post a pic of your battery tender in the trunk on EVERY battery thread??? ..lol
Dude, who say's that mamadub has seen the pic in another thread ???
Maybe you should ask her...

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 08:52 AM   #9
mamadub
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dude, who say's that mamadub has seen the pic in another thread ???
Maybe you should ask her...
Haha, Mamadub, AKA Cheryl, had not seen that pic before. Actually thought it was kinda funny as I live in AZ where it's summer all year long!

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 09:44 AM   #10
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadub View Post
Haha, Mamadub, AKA Cheryl, had not seen that pic before. Actually thought it was kinda funny as I live in AZ where it's summer all year long!
Haaaah THX Cheryl,think you'r a fair lady,realy like that,and hope this makes things clear for Dashman
BTW..even in Arizona when you drive the car not enough or battery gets old, battery will discharge !
It always is good to have a battery tender to charge the battery overnight ones a week it actualy prolongs the lifetime (durability) and battery is always in top condition ,and that's why i posted the pic of it in the trunk with one central connector,so easy,so quick,in my case in the trunk...it takes 10 sec.
Knowing that our battery is not cheap !

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 10:23 AM   #11
jhbrennan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
Can you take a pic without the cover so we can see the actual hookup to the battery? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 10:41 AM   #12
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbrennan View Post
Can you take a pic without the cover so we can see the actual hookup to the battery? Thanks.
No problem my friend...here you go
2 "O" rings on + & - pole come together in one central connector ...one click and charge
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 01:31 PM   #13
jhbrennan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
No problem my friend...here you go
2 "O" rings on + & - pole come together in one central connector ...one click and charge
Thanks - I was curious which positive terminal you used and I see it from your picture.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 08:00 AM   #14
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 IB/'17 f85 X5M LBB

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
Hey Cheryl, also, if you have the key with you at all times when washing the car, the car's computer never goes to sleep. So all the electronics nannies are on and using power. Also, yours being a vert, open your trunk and lift the cover for your battery. See if your battery tray is wet or signs of being wet. When I wash mine, I take my keys and put them away from the car. That way the car shuts off completely, until I have to start it and put it back in the garage. Hope that this helps you some.

Eric
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue,6MT,Silver Novillo Leather,CF Trim,Premium Package,Technology Package,Cold Weather Package,Premium Sound,19"Wheels,Moonroof-Toy/'17 X5M, Long Beach Blue, Executive Package,Technology Package, Lighting Package, Driver Assist, Full Mughello Red Interior, 21" wheels-Toy/'14 535i with M Sport and 19" wheels-Daily
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 08:10 AM   #15
mamadub
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elm3 View Post
Hey Cheryl, also, if you have the key with you at all times when washing the car, the car's computer never goes to sleep. So all the electronics nannies are on and using power. Also, yours being a vert, open your trunk and lift the cover for your battery. See if your battery tray is wet or signs of being wet. When I wash mine, I take my keys and put them away from the car. That way the car shuts off completely, until I have to start it and put it back in the garage. Hope that this helps you some.

Eric
Hi Eric!
Phil had mentioned something along these lines earlier, and I had never thought about it. However, I've always washed my car with the key nearby or in it, and it's never happened except for these last two times. That makes me wonder if the battery is getting weak or water is somehow getting to it. As soon as I get my car back from the stereo shop, I will look for signs of water. Thanks!

Appreciate 0