BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

04-02-2011, 04:11 PM   #23
BZTR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5, M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3RMA View Post
Sure, it is stated in BMW's information release regarding the performance exhaust, the information sheet with links to videos has been posted a number of times here.
I'm not able to find any reference of the recommended installation time in the BMW Official Press release
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 07:00 PM   #24
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZTR View Post
I'm not able to find any reference of the recommended installation time in the BMW Official Press release
BMW bulletin V-13-0211-1801, "Aftersales Business Development & Marketing / M Performance Exhaust for M3 (E9x) Vehicles", states the installation time is approximately 45 minutes.
      12-27-2011, 06:13 PM   #25
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vespa

Argh, trying a local shop for this install, and I got this reply:

"The cost to install a BMW performance exhaust would be $186-$248. There is some measuring and custom fabrication to install the muffler correctly."

Can anyone confirm that there needs to be some custom fabrication to install the BMW M performance exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 06:26 PM   #26
BimmerM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F95 X5 M C, '11.5 E92 M3 C

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by robackja View Post

"The cost to install a BMW performance exhaust would be $186-$248. There is some measuring and custom fabrication to install the muffler correctly."

Can anyone confirm that there needs to be some custom fabrication to install the BMW M performance exhaust?
It's an easy bolt on exhaust. There's no fabrication required. I can't believe they would make up a story like that? I installed my Akrapovic exhaust myself with no trouble at all.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 06:31 PM   #27
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep

I replied back and asked him to be specific as to what exactly needs fabrication.

As it stands, I am getting so frustrated with service related items with BMW, I just figured, if some local shop was $75-$100, I'd give them my business, I wouldn't have to bother with it and we would all win.

Now it just looks like it will be easiest to do it myself. I just have to make another DIY jack pad adapter to put the rear up on jack stands while the front is up on ramps..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 06:31 PM   #28
K-M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 M3

Quote:

they are BSing you.......... if true, this would be news to me.... i have ordered mine after reviewing the installation process and its a bolt-on (since I dont have easy access to fabrication tools, but can wrench myself as long as its a bolt on accessory......
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 06:32 PM   #29
Autoxfreak
Registered
Rep
Drives: E46 330i ZHP

To install the BMW M Performance Exhaust you must actually cut the original muffler. It requires some measurement to ensure the proper fitment. If you cut it incorrectly the muffler will not sit properly with respect to the rear valence and mounts. Also I have seen improper installation cause damage to the rear valance from heat.

Here is what the current muffler on your car looks like,

Here is what the M Performance muffler Looks like,

Take the muffler to someone you trust.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 06:40 PM   #30
BimmerM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoxfreak View Post
To install the BMW M Performance Exhaust you must actually cut the original muffler. It requires some measurement to ensure the proper fitment. If you cut it incorrectly the muffler will not sit properly with respect to the rear valence and mounts. Also I have seen improper installation cause damage to the rear valance from heat.

Hope this helps.
The M3 Performance Exhaust comes with all the items pictured there. It's a bolt on exhaust with the pipes and clamps.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 06:46 PM   #31
K-M3
Lieutenant
Rep

so.... whats the vote?? fabrication required or not?? I still say not, based on whatever research that I have done as well as from talking to my CA. everything points to it being a bolt-on job......

---if it in fact does require fabrication as mentioned above, a detailed explanation with measurements and specifications of the exact amount of cutting required and from where (pics included ) would serve the forum nicely..... there's a lot of people doing this mod.......

@ Autoxfreak - can you post the pictures of the said damage caused because of improper installation? also can you elaborate more on -- "To install the BMW M Performance Exhaust you must actually cut the original muffler. It requires some measurement to ensure the proper fitment. If you cut it incorrectly the muffler will not sit properly with respect to the rear valence and mounts." --

what purpose does cutting the original muffler achieve, since the M3 performance exhaust comes with its own muffler? If you are referring to the pipes of the original exhaust that lead into the pipes of the performance exhaust, exactly how much length needs to be altered, if at all?? This information would be vital to those attempting to DIY this mod......

Plus, there is a DIY thread on this forum for this mod and from the looks of it, the install was completed without the need for any fabrication......maybe a notes' comparison may help clarify.......

Last edited by K-M3; 12-27-2011 at 06:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 06:54 PM   #32
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

It's already been stated here. The M3 Perf exhaust is a strictly bolt-on affair. No fabrication required. I've done it myself. You don't need anything other than some way to get the rear of the car up (probably the hardest part of the job) and regular hand tools, nothing fancy and certainly no fabrication whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 07:03 PM   #33
BimmerM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Guys, it's a bolt-on Exhaust. Remove old, install new. No cutting. Done deal. Just follow the DIY that is posted in the DIY section and you will be good to go.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 07:15 PM   #34
K-M3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerM View Post
Guys, it's a bolt-on Exhaust. Remove old, install new. No cutting. Done deal. Just follow the DIY that is posted in the DIY section and you will be good to go.
thank you......
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 11:42 PM   #35
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

I paid $75 at a local exhaust shop to get mine installed. Install is a piece of cake, it's just a BOLT ON, no cutting required. 30 minutes and I was out the door.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 12:27 AM   #36
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:

Hope this helps.
Cut what?

If it helps there are different part numbers for coupe and sedan as the fitment is different.

This mod is so easy I actually considered doing it and would have if I were more sprightly and didn't have some extra metal in my body.
      12-28-2011, 12:30 AM   #37
HP Man
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

Quote:

Hope this helps.
Sorry, but as your first post, this is a complete fail. As many others have noted, there is no cutting or fabrication of any sort required.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 01:29 AM   #38
Silvertige
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 e92 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW 535i  [10.00]
Quote:

Hope this helps.
Just so no one actually believes this crap. No, the M performance bolts on directly with no cutting and with no adjustment necessary or even possible. I saw the whole thing on my car at EAS. It took about 30 minutes to do.
      12-28-2011, 11:25 AM   #39
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Now it just looks like it will be easiest to do it myself. I just have to make another DIY jack pad adapter to put the rear up on jack stands while the front is up on ramps..
No need - I swapped my rear exhaust with just the back on rhino ramps. You will have plenty of room. A friend would be preferable though if possible because the stock exhaust is heavy as hell. If you are a strong dude though, might not bother you.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #40
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

It might have taken me 90 minutes by myself with a floor jack including taking some photos and drinking some beers. There is no cutting involved. Anybody who says otherwise is either ignorant or a con artist.
      12-28-2011, 12:50 PM   #41
BimmerM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
No need - I swapped my rear exhaust with just the back on rhino ramps. You will have plenty of room. A friend would be preferable though if possible because the stock exhaust is heavy as hell. If you are a strong dude though, might not bother you.
That how I did my Akra install. Rhino ramps on rear wheels was all the clearance needed.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 12:53 PM   #42
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerM View Post
That how I did my Akra install. Rhino ramps on rear wheels was all the clearance needed.
Yea, after reading the DIY axle-back exhaust sticky in the DIY section, it was clear all I needed was ramps.

I think I've decided to do this on my own. It seems simple enough, I have all the necessary tools, it seems like it will be fun. I'll probably just use the floor jack to support the stock exhaust on removal.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 09:48 PM   #43
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:

Hope this helps.
You may be confusing the 335 BMW Performance Exhaust, which is a cut and clamp. E9X M3 Performance exhausts come complete with connecting pipes - making for a true bolt-on solution.

Since the tips are non-adjustable, installation is relatively simple.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 09:55 PM   #44
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep

Awesome to hear (all the replies)! I just pulled the trigger and ordered the M performance exhaust today from Trisher (best price I could find). I am going to attempt the install myself. If I can't do this, maybe I don't deserve to drive an M3 :-)

10 years ago I put suspension lifts on my leaf-spring based jeep wrangler and my coil-spring based jeep wrangler (before my subaru, I was a jeep wrangler only guy), so I think this will be plenty easier than that was (though I don't have access to the same garage and tools as I did then). All I can remember with those are the constant prying and bending to get the leaf-springs into place to bolt them back on.
Appreciate 0