BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - New England

Mporium BMW

03-27-2013, 02:59 PM   #309
MA///M3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 DCT COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by inter1032 View Post
have you looked at bren tuning? he's in mass and does tunes and he's also on here
i will check them out. thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #310
leemik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LRP M3 Coupe

Garage List
2020 Acura NSX  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MA///M3 View Post
Anyone have the Dinan Performance Software? $800 for a small bump in power seems pricey, but Dinan has a 15% off through Sunday. Removing the governor seems nice.
I had the Dinan software... not worth it ..couldn't really feel any difference..

Get a real tune from either brentuning or turner does it too...
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #311
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Dinan would be my last choice. There are a bunch of choices. Some tuners provide handheld flash devices or cables for your laptop so you can flash back or do an update. Evolve, ESS, VFE, and a couple of individuals like Mike Benvo and Bren all do tuning. Bren is local and that makes things easier. I have never seen a tune shootout, but all claim gains based on before and after dynos.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #312
DopeM3
M Power
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Best tunes based on reviews on the forum:

BPM, ESS, Evolve

You can't go wrong with either of these tunes. Personally, I know Bren tuning does tuning as well but there's is no review whatsoever to make it worth it. I remember I emailed sales once about getting a tune on a E92 M3 and they were talking 1k+ for it.

You could purchase a Stage II tune from BPM for 999 or wait until the next group buy for 899. Mike will send you a cable and you can flash your car as many times as you want. Haven't gone through the process yet but judging by all the reviews, it's straight forward. If you want to get back to stock, you can do that yourself. Not sure how Bren works. Your best bet is to shop around, examine the options and see what works for you.

-Jay
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 05:56 PM   #313
MA///M3
Banned
United_States
Rep

Thanks everyone.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #314
leemik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 Acura NSX  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [9.50]
Tunes aren't cheap.. $1K+ is about what it costs everywhere

for my $1K I would rather have someone strap my actual car on a dyno and tune it.... than to send my ECU out and have someone in 1000 miles away generically download a map to my ecu and guess at what mods I have and what my car might do.

Turner and Bren both do dyno tuning for you..

--mike
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #315
DopeM3
M Power
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemik View Post
Tunes aren't cheap.. $1K+ is about what it costs everywhere

for my $1K I would rather have someone strap my actual car on a dyno and tune it.... than to send my ECU out and have someone in 1000 miles away generically download a map to my ecu and guess at what mods I have and what my car might do.

Turner and Bren both do dyno tuning for you..

--mike
Perhaps it's because I'm not the type of guy that dynos my car. Honestly, paper means nothing to me. I want to be able to feel the different (acceleration, response, abilities, different in sound, etc) versus having a paper tell me that
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #316
leemik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 Acura NSX  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AyooooJay View Post
Perhaps it's because I'm not the type of guy that dynos my car. Honestly, paper means nothing to me. I want to be able to feel the different (acceleration, response, abilities, different in sound, etc) versus having a paper tell me that
so you are saying dynos are a useless tool for tuning? ROFL

I'm 100% sure those generic tunes you are buying are also the results of tweaking a car on a dyno and saving the changes so your statement doesn't make any sense..

--mike
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #317
DopeM3
M Power
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I'm 100% sure those generic tunes you are buying are also the results of tweaking a car on a dyno and saving the changes so your statement doesn't make any sense..

--mike
Never said they were useless but to me, I don't find any interest in it.

You are correct, they are tested and dynoed before making it available to others. It would make sense to dyno your car if you've had other mods such as SC, complete exhaust, etc ect but for just a tune, eh maybe not. That's just me though
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 09:58 PM   #318
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:

--mike
Do you have a custom dyno tune? If so, which of your parameters (WB02 target AFR, VANOS, and ignition timing) differ from those your tuner uses from every other M3 with the same mods due to the extra special nature of your S65?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 06:00 AM   #319
NHman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S4 Prestige

As of yesterday my M3 coupe order flipped to 112 status. Meaning it is scheduled for production. I now have a small window of time to make changes. I will be staying with the Melbourne Red and the carbon fiber roof. However, at the moment, it is configured with the black interior and carbon leather trim. I am thinking about switching it to Bamboo Beige and keeping the carbon leather. My thinking is for the contrast and removing the "cave" effect of an otherwise dark cabin. But I haven't seen this interior color in the real world. I know that it is my decision but I would like feedback. Call it a second, third, etc opinion.

I also debated switching to a MT. Something inside me is saying "it would be more entertaining". Certainly not as fast but engaging. This would be an easier decision if it was immediately a third vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 07:03 AM   #320
DopeM3
M Power
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHman View Post
As of yesterday my M3 coupe order flipped to 112 status. Meaning it is scheduled for production. I now have a small window of time to make changes. I will be staying with the Melbourne Red and the carbon fiber roof. However, at the moment, it is configured with the black interior and carbon leather trim. I am thinking about switching it to Bamboo Beige and keeping the carbon leather. My thinking is for the contrast and removing the "cave" effect of an otherwise dark cabin. But I haven't seen this interior color in the real world. I know that it is my decision but I would like feedback. Call it a second, third, etc opinion.

I also debated switching to a MT. Something inside me is saying "it would be more entertaining". Certainly not as fast but engaging. This would be an easier decision if it was immediately a third vehicle.
Congrats man Should be ready by the summer.

As for the interior, I think it would look great. I found this picture on google: http://gtcarlot.com/data/bmw/M3/2008...-62398461.html

Debating whether to go with DCT or MT is a tough one. If it's going to be your DD, I would go DCT. If it going to be more of a weekend car, I could go MT. Personally mine is a summer/weekend car and I chose DCT and I love it. Gives it that "Manual" feeling when you need it to be.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #321
leemik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 Acura NSX  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Do you have a custom dyno tune? If so, which of your parameters (WB02 target AFR, VANOS, and ignition timing) differ from those your tuner uses from every other M3 with the same mods due to the extra special nature of your S65?
No I do not on my 2013.. It's still in the breakin period (200 miles)...but i do plan on getting one when that is all done..

I had a Dinan tune on my 2009.. you had to fill in some check boxes with approximately what you think you had in mods.. of course the mods list wasn't exactly the same as the check list and I think as a result I really felt very little to no change.

--mike
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #322
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
Hey Mike - Sorry to see your White M3 go but the new one looks awesome.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 11:21 AM   #323
BZTR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5, M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHman View Post

For Melbourne Red I personally would go with Black/Carbon Lather combo for a more sporty look. Bamboo will be a more classic combination, but when I saw Melbourne Red/Bamboo at the dealer I was not impressed for some reason. Rust Brown interior will be a different story…Here is 'C00kedG00se' Hellrot individual Red/Rust Brown combo (not Melbourne Red but you should get the idea) Congrats on your new car, you will enjoy it regardless of interior color!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #324
DopeM3
M Power
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZTR View Post
For Melbourne Red I personally would go with Black/Carbon Lather combo for a more sporty look. Bamboo will be a more classic combination, but when I saw Melbourne Red/Bamboo at the dealer I was not impressed for some reason. Rust Brown interior will be a different story…Here is 'C00kedG00se' Hellrot individual Red/Rust Brown combo (not Melbourne Red but you should get the idea) Congrats on your new car, you will enjoy it regardless of interior color!
That's a nice color combo MR/Rust Brown
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #325
MA///M3
Banned
United_States
Rep

MR is an awesome color. Flashy, please give me a ticket color, but awesome.

AyooooJay-did you decide on a place for your wheels? Bringing mine in tomorrow to Peabody for the one wheel.......
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #326
DopeM3
M Power
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA///M3 View Post
MR is an awesome color. Flashy, please give me a ticket color, but awesome.

AyooooJay-did you decide on a place for your wheels? Bringing mine in tomorrow to Peabody for the one wheel.......
I just got some ZCPs shipped to me today. There's 2/3 that need to be retouch. Still haven't decided, most likely I'll be going to that place in Peabody as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #327
inter1032
Major
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2013 m3

are dealerships honest when they say 6-8 weeks once it goes into production?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #328
leemik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 Acura NSX  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
Hey Mike - Sorry to see your White M3 go but the new one looks awesome.
Thanks! say do you work on 1st street? I could swear you are in the same garage as I am now..

The white one was sold recently to some guy named Matt.. So it'll still be around.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 08:16 PM   #329
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks! say do you work on 1st street? I could swear you are in the same garage as I am now..

The white one was sold recently to some guy named Matt.. So it'll still be around.
I'm in Cambridge in the 7 CC garage part of each week and used to see your white one once in a while. Unfortunately the M3 has been mostly hibernating the last couple of months as I drive the ML63 in the snow. Would love to see your new one in person some time.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 08:54 PM   #330
MJM
BMW CCA Boston Chapter - Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, ZCP

Mike: will you be at the Cars and Coffee on April 20th at the Larz with the new Lime Rock Park M3?
Appreciate 0