BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

02-19-2013, 12:31 AM   #155
inandout
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4 Rings

Where did the paint go?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 09:16 AM   #156
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by inandout View Post
Where did the paint go?
Trophys aren't painted.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #157
j2m
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by inandout View Post
Where did the paint go?
I didn't like the black/red letters so I removed the paint

11' E92 M3 Space Grey | DCT | ESS VT2- 625 | Gintani Race (valved) + Quad Res Catless X-Pipe | KW Sleeve's | GC Camber Plates|Arkym Diffuser | Vorsteiner VRS Lip | P3 Boost Guage | Stud Conversion
PHOTO's: Click Here ESS VT2 625 PHOTOS: Click Here
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #158
inandout
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4 Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Trophys aren't painted.
I was referrig to the lettering.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 01:46 PM   #159
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2m View Post
like what you did.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 01:29 AM   #160
Wes Howell
www.facebook.com/weshowellcreative
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M4 Coupe Project Car

Quote:
I bet it came right off! Best thing about the Stoptech's!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #161
j2m
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e60cs5 View Post
I bet it came right off! Best thing about the Stoptech's!!!
Yeah it did. A Q-Tip with a bit of Nail Polish remover (Acetone) and it came off easier than nail polish.

11' E92 M3 Space Grey | DCT | ESS VT2- 625 | Gintani Race (valved) + Quad Res Catless X-Pipe | KW Sleeve's | GC Camber Plates|Arkym Diffuser | Vorsteiner VRS Lip | P3 Boost Guage | Stud Conversion
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #162
STIHLBOLTS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is

Garage List
2020 Z4 M4.0i  [5.00]
So the moral of the story is never buy either of them, go away and be happy.

2013 335is E93
2018 X5 35d
BMWCCA / ZSCCA Member
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 12:52 AM   #163
Wes Howell
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIHLBOLTS View Post
So the moral of the story is never buy either of them, go away and be happy.
It might be... Or just be ready for really crappy customer service and also be ready to refinish them when the finish goes south.

Wheels are changing - but Mike @ Thepowdercoater.com did an amazing job. Really quick - nice guy - awesome work.

He even filled in the logos which I had been planning to cover up. I wasn't planning to advertise for Stoptech....

Anyway - calipers are going to look really good with a gloss black wheel. Thanks for the recommendation (for Mike)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 01:37 AM   #164
Donbona
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 DCT 2008

Quote:
I want to add to this thread because I know this thread is being read by a lot of potential buyers. I actually read this thread before I bought my Trophies and after reading this thread I decided I didn't want to risk the possibility of spending $6K on a set of Trophies and having these problems.

THEN I found out I would have to wait 3-4 months for Brembos in the color I wanted SO I went back to the Trophies and rolled the dice.
I bought mine from Harold at HP and talked to him in depth about my concerns.

I REFUSE to put something on my car that I have to baby the shit out of or worry about taking my car though a car wash (or) spraying some type of wheel cleaner that will make the bolts rust. That would drive me crazy. So I figured I'd install them and live life as normal and see what happens.

Because of the climate I live in, my car gets quite dirty quick so I take my car through a brush-less car wash at least 2 times per week. I was concerned that some of the chemicals they use for the car wash might cause problems but I wasn't willing to BABY a set of brakes that are suppose to be "HIGH END RACE BRAKES"
So I used several types of wheel cleaners, including the spray foam that you rinse off and many other wheel cleaners.
The Trophies were on my car for 6 months and I put about 5,000KM on them without issue.

I was extremely HAPPY with these brakes and they looked almost as good, after 6 months as the day I installed them. I would HIGHLY recommend these brakes and IMO these are the best brakes you can buy for $6,000.00

I recently bought I set of Brembo GTR's so I sold the Trophies.
These pictures were taken before I shipped to buyer.

I think stoptech has figured out the problem and fixed it.

REGARDING CUSTOMER SERVICE: IMHO AND MY EXPERIENCE BOTH Stoptech and Brembo (Race Technologies USA) have equally shitty customer service. These are companies that sell a commodity and they know they have somewhat cornered the market so they don't NEED to supply the level of customer service that consumers expect. I really don't think they give a shit if you buy their product or not.

Stoptech would never returned multiple phone calls, VM, emails...

Brembo/Race Tecnology USA is the same. When I did happen to get someone on the phone, they are nice guys and seem to want to help and answer questions but they make promises to follow-up and never do and this is not one isolated incident.

This is why it's important to deal with a reputable vendor that does give a shit, and will care enough to help if you run into an issue.
A friend of mine is running Alcons on his M5, when he called their customer service dept he got the same shitty service as you describe. I guess this is a trend in the BBK market.
On a side note I have Stoptech front and rear on my M and have had them for well over a year with zero issues.
M3 E93 DCT, Space Grey,BC HB29 Forged Deep Concave Wheels, Ericsson Amuse F/R Bumper, Evolve Full Exhaust System, INTRAX Coilovers, STOPTECH BBK, Performance Steering Wheel,Custom Red/Black Leather Seats,///M3 ||Bimmerpost M3 Car Of The Month May - 2010SOLD
2010 R35 GTR
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #165
DZeckhausen
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by e60cs5 View Post
Wheels are changing - but Mike @ Thepowdercoater.com did an amazing job. Really quick - nice guy - awesome work.

He even filled in the logos which I had been planning to cover up. I wasn't planning to advertise for Stoptech....

Anyway - calipers are going to look really good with a gloss black wheel. Thanks for the recommendation (for Mike)
Very nice! Do you have a photo from slightly further back that shows off the finish of the car too? I'm interested in seeing how the calipers match/contrast with the rest of the car.

How quickly did Mike turn these around?

Now you've got me thinking about matching my Trophy calipers to the Monterey Red paint on my Corvette. I'll have to talk to Mike about how that would hold up at the track, though.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/images/Car...NHIS_800px.jpg
      02-25-2013, 12:01 AM   #166
Wes Howell
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZeckhausen View Post
Very nice! Do you have a photo from slightly further back that shows off the finish of the car too? I'm interested in seeing how the calipers match/contrast with the rest of the car.

How quickly did Mike turn these around?

Now you've got me thinking about matching my Trophy calipers to the Monterey Red paint on my Corvette. I'll have to talk to Mike about how that would hold up at the track, though.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/images/Car...NHIS_800px.jpg

Mike did them in a few days - very fast.
I will have other pics of the car soon and will post. The color is off a shade I chose color - but close enough as it's recessed and in the wheel well. It's very close and I'm happy with it for sure

The car is having major work done to it and it will be in a couple car mags, will be at Bfest, Mfest, etc. Can't spoil the surprise quite yet - but you'll see it soon.

And...If you know the right people, they can color match powder - no problem. LMK if you need more info.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 12:00 AM   #167
E90335iflyer
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi Q5,BMW 335i, Porsche GT3
Location: JFK, SFO, LAX, NRT, TPE, PVG, HKG, LHR, ATH, MUC, FRA, SIN

Few of my buddies with OE Porsche Brembos had terrible finish fading issues, their red Porsche/Brembo calipers turned pink after just a few track day use. After switching to Stoptech Trophy from GMG, the calipers still look new even after a dozen track days running race pads and no additional cooling. I had the opportunity to help one of them change pads right before an event, not to mention it was a breeze, I didn't see any discoloration on any of the bolts nor did I see rust.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 11:19 AM   #168
exmowner
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3X / 14 GTR

Quote:
I want to add to this thread because I know this thread is being read by a lot of potential buyers. I actually read this thread before I bought my Trophies and after reading this thread I decided I didn't want to risk the possibility of spending $6K on a set of Trophies and having these problems.

THEN I found out I would have to wait 3-4 months for Brembos in the color I wanted SO I went back to the Trophies and rolled the dice.
I bought mine from Harold at HP and talked to him in depth about my concerns.

I REFUSE to put something on my car that I have to baby the shit out of or worry about taking my car though a car wash (or) spraying some type of wheel cleaner that will make the bolts rust. That would drive me crazy. So I figured I'd install them and live life as normal and see what happens.

Because of the climate I live in, my car gets quite dirty quick so I take my car through a brush-less car wash at least 2 times per week. I was concerned that some of the chemicals they use for the car wash might cause problems but I wasn't willing to BABY a set of brakes that are suppose to be "HIGH END RACE BRAKES"
So I used several types of wheel cleaners, including the spray foam that you rinse off and many other wheel cleaners.
The Trophies were on my car for 6 months and I put about 5,000KM on them without issue.

I was extremely HAPPY with these brakes and they looked almost as good, after 6 months as the day I installed them. I would HIGHLY recommend these brakes and IMO these are the best brakes you can buy for $6,000.00

I recently bought I set of Brembo GTR's so I sold the Trophies.
These pictures were taken before I shipped to buyer.

I think stoptech has figured out the problem and fixed it.

REGARDING CUSTOMER SERVICE: IMHO AND MY EXPERIENCE BOTH Stoptech and Brembo (Race Technologies USA) have equally shitty customer service. These are companies that sell a commodity and they know they have somewhat cornered the market so they don't NEED to supply the level of customer service that consumers expect. I really don't think they give a shit if you buy their product or not.

Stoptech would never returned multiple phone calls, VM, emails...

Brembo/Race Tecnology USA is the same. When I did happen to get someone on the phone, they are nice guys and seem to want to help and answer questions but they make promises to follow-up and never do and this is not one isolated incident.

This is why it's important to deal with a reputable vendor that does give a shit, and will care enough to help if you run into an issue.
Just wondering what happened that made you want to contact stoptech? Your reply is making me lean towards a set of trophy's. I too had changed my mind after reading this thread!
2021-G82 BASE (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #169
j2m
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by exmowner View Post
Just wondering what happened that made you want to contact stoptech? Your reply is making me lean towards a set of trophy's. I too had changed my mind after reading this thread!
Main thing I was trying to figure out was how to change the color without voiding warranty. I was told that if I un-assembled the calipers it would void warranty.

Before I purchased my set I had a few questions:
1) Have they fixed the rusting bolt issue
2) Would they build me set without the Red/Black Lettering
3) Would they do a custom powdercoating on the calipers for an extra charge, so I could maintain warranty
4) Would they ship the brakes un-assembled to a powder-coating facility and I could ship them back for the to re-assemble to maintain warranty

I called and emailed several times. When I called I would speak with the person who answers the phone and she would promise a phone call back, the returned phone calls never happened. After about 7-8 phone calls without a returned phone call I called and asked for a rep's email address. I then emailed several times and never received a response.

So I ended up just ordering them and removing the lettering and it turned out great.

The brakes are awesome and I wouldn't have sold them if I hadn't bought the GTR's.

BTW i am ordering some things from Turner and happened to see a set that they are clearing out for $5,992. They are in the clearance section, mounted once and drilled rotors

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #170
exmowner
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3X / 14 GTR

Quote:
Main thing I was trying to figure out was how to change the color without voiding warranty. I was told that if I un-assembled the calipers it would void warranty.

Before I purchased my set I had a few questions:
1) Have they fixed the rusting bolt issue
2) Would they build me set without the Red/Black Lettering
3) Would they do a custom powdercoating on the calipers for an extra charge, so I could maintain warranty
4) Would they ship the brakes un-assembled to a powder-coating facility and I could ship them back for the to re-assemble to maintain warranty

I called and emailed several times. When I called I would speak with the person who answers the phone and she would promise a phone call back, the returned phone calls never happened. After about 7-8 phone calls without a returned phone call I called and asked for a rep's email address. I then emailed several times and never received a response.

So I ended up just ordering them and removing the lettering and it turned out great.

The brakes are awesome and I wouldn't have sold them if I hadn't bought the GTR's.

BTW i am ordering some things from Turner and happened to see a set that they are clearing out for $5,992. They are in the clearance section, mounted once and drilled rotors
So other then crap after sales service the brakes were great? cool noted

noticed those too it's a great deal

I'm just trying to convince myself i need these for street driving....
2021-G82 BASE (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #171
j2m
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by exmowner View Post
So other then crap after sales service the brakes were great? cool noted

noticed those too it's a great deal

I'm just trying to convince myself i need these for street driving....
Brakes were great, huge improvement over stock for stopping power, you definitely need these for street driving

I actually just double checked my invoice from Harold at HP Autowerks and I got a better deal than I quoted above for those from Turner. Maybe give him a shout

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #172
j2m
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
^^ Yes, other than shitty customer service the brakes were great.
No problems or issues whatsoever

Appreciate 0