BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-25-2008, 09:12 PM   #1
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

This cars been tempting me as of late

I loooove BMW but feel like I need to finish get this JDM itch out my body. I'm 23, and will have plenty of time to buy BMW's I lust after. -sigh-
      12-25-2008, 09:23 PM   #2
kmincey
Registered
Rep
Drives:

no matter how you look at it this car is still a ricer.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2008, 09:32 PM   #3
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

So what? Its an extremely capable car that wont put me in the poor house if Mitsu voids my warranty. It runs superbly rich from the factory. My buddy has a highly modded EVO X that runs 110octane and still got 27mpg on the highway. Getting one at 27k seems like a great deal to me.
      12-25-2008, 09:33 PM   #4
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

I like that car my friends owns an 08 GSR...very fun to drive. The reason I didnt buy an EVO is because we just got them in Canada for 08 and I ordered my 135 in december 07 and EVO came out in March. Otherwise I might have gotten the EVO. I like the Ralliart version aswell Id rock one as a second car instead of my Jetta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2008, 09:38 PM   #5
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
I like that car my friends owns an 08 GSR...very fun to drive. The reason I didnt buy an EVO is because we just got them in Canada for 08 and I ordered my 135 in december 07 and EVO came out in March. Otherwise I might have gotten the EVO.
Sweet. I'll be doing a lot of driving up North to promote my business this coming year. I dont have much experience with driving in snow either. An AWD champ would be pretty ideal.
      12-25-2008, 09:47 PM   #6
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Vishnu's tuning strategy for the Evo X is relatively simple. In stock form, the Evo X runs excessively rich, probably an effort to add a margin of safety to an engine that Mitsubishi's engineers know will be modified by many owners. With the PROcede, Pathak has leaned out the fuel mixture and retarded the ignition timing to great effect. He claims an increase of 75 hp and 75 pound-feet of torque using only California-sourced 91-octane pump gas.

Once you add the 3-inch exhaust with dual mufflers (a simple prototype designed to mimic the products that Pathak expects the aftermarket will likely produce), there's another 25 hp to be found. That's a 100 hp and 100 lb-ft gain as measured at the Evo's wheels on a Mustang chassis dyno.

The PROcede and Evo X harness will retail for $995, which really isn't a lot of money for 75 hp. In fact, when you figure that the first 291 hp cost about $33 grand (car included), getting the last 75 hp for a thousand bucks is a downright steal.

HOT DAMN.
      12-25-2008, 09:50 PM   #7
corpsman
130 kmh, yeah right.
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Montego,6MT,

mmm rice
      12-25-2008, 09:57 PM   #8
ben14142001
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

The only problem I have with the Evo is that it is a Mitsu, which have build quality issues. The defects I heard of on the new evos were things that would piss me off, aka seats coming apart a couple days after delivery (cloth coming out from the plastic retainers near the neck area), the gas pedal snapping on several cars, coming out of the factory with a bad tune (the new STI suffered from this as well though) and paint issues. All new cars suffer from defects, but this was a bit much for me. I looked at them and the new STI's when I was considering my 135 and liked them both, but not enough to drop that kind of money (They weren't really discounting mid-summer whilst I was shopping). I've also heard Mitsu is notoriously stingy with warranties. I also didn't think the interior was up to spec for a 35k car.

If you could get one for 27kish, damn, that's a steal, I would have considered it more at the time if prices were like they were now. Coming from an STi, I didn't want people trying to race me constantly and wanted a nice interior/smoother ride with no rattles. My STi had about 5 rattles in it before I sold it and I almost went insane because of it. The new Ralli-art is nice as well, and the 09 WRX (even though ugly in my opinion) has put down some great numbers for the money. Those tuned numbers for the evo are pretty awesome as well, I read about those over at EvoM. Sorry for the long rant, haha.

-Ben
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2008, 10:03 PM   #9
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben14142001 View Post
The only problem I have with the Evo is that it is a Mitsu, which have build quality issues. The defects I heard of on the new evos were things that would piss me off, aka seats coming apart a couple days after delivery (cloth coming out from the plastic retainers near the neck area), the gas pedal snapping on several cars, coming out of the factory with a bad tune (the new STI suffered from this as well though) and paint issues. All new cars suffer from defects, but this was a bit much for me. I looked at them and the new STI's when I was considering my 135 and liked them both, but not enough to drop that kind of money (They weren't really discounting mid-summer whilst I was shopping). I've also heard Mitsu is notoriously stingy with warranties. I also didn't think the interior was up to spec for a 35k car.

If you could get one for 27kish, damn, that's a steal, I would have considered it more at the time if prices were like they were now. Coming from an STi, I didn't want people trying to race me constantly and wanted a nice interior/smoother ride with no rattles. My STi had about 5 rattles in it before I sold it and I almost went insane because of it. The new Ralli-art is nice as well, and the 09 WRX (even though ugly in my opinion) has put down some great numbers for the money. Those tuned numbers for the evo are pretty awesome as well, I read about those over at EvoM. Sorry for the long rant, haha.

-Ben
I agree with you on all counts Ben. I couldnt fork over 33k for an EVO or STI. 30k still makes me cringe. Its the interiors that would bother me. I prefer a jack of all trades car like the 1. I dont feel like I've reached ''baller status'' mentally to buy a BMW. Once I go German, its unlikely I'll go back. I've had my s2k for over 4 years and its bone stock. I'm ready to sell and get a car I would feel super comfortable modding. People can call these car ''rice'' all they want. They've toned down there apearances a lot over the previous generations. At the price-point they are super competitive. Owners on the forums have said they've been too watered down.
      12-25-2008, 11:00 PM   #10
ben14142001
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

^ Dude, I think we're on the same exact page. I almost didn't buy the 1 because I thought it was too nice (I'm 23 as well) that's why I considered the Evo and the STi, but at the time, they were all similarly priced and I was not going to pay 40k for a new STi that had a nicer interior but as was slower than my 05. My STi was bone stock as well! You should look around for some deals, because I'm sure you'd find one. Have you looked at STi's at all? They are dealing like crazy on them atm. I think I prefer the Evo in terms of looks and the interior on both is fairly similar, with a slight edge to the STi. If you want to mod then Evo all the way baby. And coming from an STi, I don't think either is ricey, haha, especially the newer models, which are far less flashy than the previous versions.

-Ben
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2008, 11:04 PM   #11
onehungevo
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BForbes View Post
Vishnu's tuning strategy for the Evo X is relatively simple. In stock form, the Evo X runs excessively rich, probably an effort to add a margin of safety to an engine that Mitsubishi's engineers know will be modified by many owners. With the PROcede, Pathak has leaned out the fuel mixture and retarded the ignition timing to great effect. He claims an increase of 75 hp and 75 pound-feet of torque using only California-sourced 91-octane pump gas.

Once you add the 3-inch exhaust with dual mufflers (a simple prototype designed to mimic the products that Pathak expects the aftermarket will likely produce), there's another 25 hp to be found. That's a 100 hp and 100 lb-ft gain as measured at the Evo's wheels on a Mustang chassis dyno.

The PROcede and Evo X harness will retail for $995, which really isn't a lot of money for 75 hp. In fact, when you figure that the first 291 hp cost about $33 grand (car included), getting the last 75 hp for a thousand bucks is a downright steal.

HOT DAMN.

Well the 135 gains 100hp and 100tq for $600. I really don't like the evo x compared to the older evo's. I owned an 8 for about 4 years and got tired of all the noises and little things that need fixed such as clear coating the spoiler, breaks peeling etc..It was a fast car and different looking but that was about it.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2008, 12:01 AM   #12
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I agree with you on all counts Ben. I couldnt fork over 33k for an EVO or STI. 30k still makes me cringe. Its the interiors that would bother me. I prefer a jack of all trades car like the 1. I dont feel like I've reached ''baller status'' mentally to buy a BMW. Once I go German, its unlikely I'll go back. I've had my s2k for over 4 years and its bone stock. I'm ready to sell and get a car I would feel super comfortable modding. People can call these car ''rice'' all they want. They've toned down there apearances a lot over the previous generations. At the price-point they are super competitive. Owners on the forums have said they've been too watered down.
Dont worry I went at 20 from an Acura to an Audi than to the 1er at 24. I dont give a flying f$"$. I like to change cars often and didnt from 20 to 24 since I bought my own place. Im seriously looking at 370Z. There are all kind of cars that are interesting me. Even the STI looks appealing ..its an hardcore machine I dont have kids I could trade in my 135 for an STI(I know its slower)but the boxer sound is just delicious...plus AWD is fun I really miss it somedays just WOT and take a corner. But honestly I wouldnt be able to own an EVO or STI for more than a year(as a only car) plus they get stolen like crazy over here.

Quote:
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2008, 02:14 AM   #13
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben14142001 View Post
^ Dude, I think we're on the same exact page. I almost didn't buy the 1 because I thought it was too nice (I'm 23 as well) that's why I considered the Evo and the STi, but at the time, they were all similarly priced and I was not going to pay 40k for a new STi that had a nicer interior but as was slower than my 05. My STi was bone stock as well! You should look around for some deals, because I'm sure you'd find one. Have you looked at STi's at all? They are dealing like crazy on them atm. I think I prefer the Evo in terms of looks and the interior on both is fairly similar, with a slight edge to the STi. If you want to mod then Evo all the way baby. And coming from an STi, I don't think either is ricey, haha, especially the newer models, which are far less flashy than the previous versions.

-Ben
Thats the thing. They REALLY are dealing on the STI's. I just think the new ones look so damn ugly. I sat in them both at the auto show a few weeks ago and couldnt stomach the STI. The EVO fit me like a glove. Especially the seats! It makes me think I'm in a baby M3(dont tease..lol). I remember having an EVO/STI roll up behind me a few years ago. I wouldnt even bother..lol A lot of "rice'' dont have any balls to back it up. The EVO/STI sure as hell did.
      12-26-2008, 02:20 AM   #14
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Dont worry I went at 20 from an Acura to an Audi than to the 1er at 24. I dont give a flying f$"$. I like to change cars often and didnt from 20 to 24 since I bought my own place. Im seriously looking at 370Z. There are all kind of cars that are interesting me. Even the STI looks appealing ..its an hardcore machine I dont have kids I could trade in my 135 for an STI(I know its slower)but the boxer sound is just delicious...plus AWD is fun I really miss it somedays just WOT and take a corner. But honestly I wouldnt be able to own an EVO or STI for more than a year(as a only car) plus they get stolen like crazy over here.
I change cars pretty damn often with the exception of my S2k. Its my 4th car. I bought my own place about a year and half ago. I'm a mortgage minded 23yr old. I was looking at the 370Z too but I dont think I could ever do it. Its like a Nascar Ford fan switching to Chevy. It aint gonna happen..unfortunately. Honda is disappointing their sports enthusiasts right now. I'm glad you and Ben understand my little itch for a hardcore machine. My family is no stranger to BMW so I know the deal.

I've been petitioning for an //M135i of some sort on here for well over a year. The N54 is beautiful but not quite the application I'm looking for at the moment. Its not the matter of getting the job(speed) done. Its how you get it done. I've gotten so much crap over the years for the loving the 135i on the s2ki boards. I'm the resident BMW fan boy..hehe
      12-26-2008, 05:51 AM   #15
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Not insulting anyone but you can see that a lot of Bmw owners are more worried about their image and inquiring about options. Bmw is not was it used to be its all about marketing lately. Im happy about my 1 in terms of straight line speed...but it ends there. No top end, sloppy suspension...I could modify the car like I used to but I bought it no to do so. Car is not focused enough for guys like you and I. Im seriously thinking about getting vintage cars and a decent daily...nothing lately is catching my attention. Sure M3's, C63's are fun but they are (disposable) cars. I'm looking at old Ur-Q, old M3's those are the kind of car that you can keep I can consider the s2k in that category also. You wont find a 2.0-2.2 High reving 4 banger around(expect from the FWD civic Si 06+)

Bforbes:I have two friends with F/I S2K's(AP1)one vortech S/C, one turbo and they said holy crap that 135I is fast(I had AA tune back then).But like I said brakes are sick but suspension really lacks. The mass produced 135I wont cut it....if they come out with an M version it would be amazing like you said but it will never come out. Sometimes I feel like Im driving a mustang.......

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2008, 05:55 AM   #16
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
Quote:

I loooove BMW but feel like I need to finish get this JDM itch out my body. I'm 23, and will have plenty of time to buy BMW's I lust after. -sigh-
Go for it...you're young, probably single/no kids still, you probably still have the mod bug and the Evo is mod friendly, and there's nothing "rice" about 291hp and awd.

I wanted an Evo at your age but didn't have the balls to buy one then. Learn from my mistake!
      12-26-2008, 05:57 AM   #17
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AchtungE30 View Post
Go for it...you're young, probably single/no kids still, you probably still have the mod bug and the Evo is mod friendly, and there's nothing "rice" about 291hp and awd.

I wanted an Evo at your age but didn't have the balls to buy one then. Learn from my mistake!
Its never too late my friend is 33 and has 2 kids an other one on the way....

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2008, 07:16 AM   #18
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

I think the Evo X is the best looking Evo to date.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2008, 08:43 AM   #19
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Not insulting anyone but you can see that a lot of Bmw owners are more worried about their image and inquiring about options. Bmw is not was it used to be its all about marketing lately. Im happy about my 1 in terms of straight line speed...but it ends there. No top end, sloppy suspension...I could modify the car like I used to but I bought it no to do so. Car is not focused enough for guys like you and I. Im seriously thinking about getting vintage cars and a decent daily...nothing lately is catching my attention. Sure M3's, C63's are fun but they are (disposable) cars. I'm looking at old Ur-Q, old M3's those are the kind of car that you can keep I can consider the s2k in that category also. You wont find a 2.0-2.2 High reving 4 banger around(expect from the FWD civic Si 06+)

Bforbes:I have two friends with F/I S2K's(AP1)one vortech S/C, one turbo and they said holy crap that 135I is fast(I had AA tune back then).But like I said brakes are sick but suspension really lacks. The mass produced 135I wont cut it....if they come out with an M version it would be amazing like you said but it will never come out. Sometimes I feel like Im driving a mustang.......
Wow. Truer words have not been spoken. When I had made several //M135i threads you wouldnt believe the responses. "Theres no need, just chip the 135i and buy an LSD!!" Many people dont get it like you say. Its easy to throw the rice word around. I was planning on holding out for a super focused 1. We all agree it got a mission accomplished on what it was designed to do. BMW unfortunately decided to build X6-M and X5-M's instead of giving us a soooped up factory M. I'm sure the current economy has put there foot in their mouth.
      12-26-2008, 08:45 AM   #20
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AchtungE30 View Post

Thanks for the vote of confidence man!! :biggrin:
      12-26-2008, 08:50 AM   #21
Noize
Under the radar
United_States
Rep
Drives: FWD in reverse

I'm the mod over the X sections at Evom. I had an Evo X, but got out of it to get in this car. I can probably answer any question you have about the car. I miss a couple things about it (SAYC), but I like this car much better for the most part.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2008, 09:33 AM   #22
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noize View Post
I'm the mod over the X sections at Evom. I had an Evo X, but got out of it to get in this car. I can probably answer any question you have about the car. I miss a couple things about it (SAYC), but I like this car much better for the most part.
Do you mind telling why you got out of it? I'm sure the 1 rides smoother and quieter. Stock for stock it trounces the EVO X too. At 27-28k its super tempting. Thanks in advance.