BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
MRG Race Co
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Nardo E92 '15 Fashion F80

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Pulled over... great start to a monday morning...

So this is a positive thread and not a cop bashing thread...

Had a great weekend and was in such a good mood this morning. Unfortunately on the way to work (driving my normal route that I drive everyday) a cop pulled up on the side of me at a light. He tried to do that slow drive thing they do so you have to get in front of them but I am used to dealing with cops growing up in LA so whatever. I have no problem driving a little faster than them assuming I am close to the speed limit.

So anyway... he obviously gets behind me and lights me up... I pull over to the side and he rushes up to the car (never seen a cop do that before). Immediately tells me to get out of the car and points to a speed limit sign a block or so away. "Now, get back in your car!" lol so I do and proceed to give him my best "you're the boss, no arguing, respectfully agreeing and pointing out his errors with subtle tact" that I have developed over the years.

Hand over my license and reg and ins... walks away and then comes back a few minutes later. The whole time he is checking out my car for something he can do...

License Plates... check (got em front and back)
window tint... check (there isnt any)
exhaust...check (still stock for now)
even had both my mirrors back on the car as a semi truck ripped off the driver side a week ago... LOL!
lol, this guy was really trying so hard... so he proceeds to tell me that my tire profile is illegal (HAHA this guy was such a joke)

Then he wants to preach to me about my car (you do realize I know more than you about my own car, right?) and how the larger tire/wheel size will throw off my speedo... yada yada yada... I just sit there and grin, play dumb, and finally point out that the stock 19" inch wheel with the stock tire combo is actually slightly taller than my 20" combo (and yes I know it can affect it a little bit but not enough to make a significant difference in this case). He looked at me and just seemed so angry that I wouldnt bite on his shitty monday morning attitude that he kept giving me.

But anyway, I know that most of you dont care but I just wanted to vent a little... and I thought the whole chain of events was slightly amusing...

No ticket in the end... to sum it up... but I really feel bad for this guy... he was in just such a shitty mood. He must have been having marriage problems, or didnt get some this weekend, or perhaps he was a Grizzlies, Nuggets, Nationals, and/or Blues fan (cuz LA sports lit it up this weekend!!).

But anyway, I hope this cop's week gets better... because mine is gonna be a great one! Enjoy your shitty life driving around being a dick to everyone...

In the end +1 for M3, -1 for BevHills PD (Axel Foley)
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #2
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS, 964, Raptor

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [7.90]
Nice!
      04-30-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

how is this a positive thread and not a cop bashing one?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
MRG Race Co
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
how is this a positive thread and not a cop bashing one?
Haha, I have seen these posts before and someone always gets on some rant about "cops are just doing their job" and "you shouldnt have been speeding" etc.

I'm not bashing all cops (because 1 out of 3 arent that bad)... but this one particularly had a chip on his shoulder this morning... not sure why...
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
chief
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Melbourne Red M3 Coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.51]
One: A bad attitude is a bad attitude, and it doesn't matter who's wearing it (the guy/gal with the badge and gun, or the guy/gal just trying to get to work).

Two: The traffic laws as enforced, particularly in California, are not what this voter and taxpayer needs. In short, they are not meeting my needs and expectation.

Three: I work for the governement and I'm here to help.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 10:28 PM   #6
lorinzo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3; i3 rex; e46 M3 vert

You say the PO never articulated the reason for the stop?
| 2011 M3 Sedan | Le Mans Blue | M-DCT | ZC2 | ZCP | ZP3 | Moonroof | Enhanced Premium Sound | Dinan exhaust | Dinan software | Dinan pulley | Dinan intake | Dinan pedals | Bimmian LED interior | Lux H8 V3 | WeissLicht PY24W LED | 20% tint | IND reflectors | IND front grills | IND key hole cover | IND hood vents | IND M5 mirror covers | Reus Systems audio | Verstraβe shifter paddles | BBS LM 20x9 et 15 and 20x10.5 et 15 | Hankook Ventus V12 255/30/20 and 295/25/20 | Red BBS Racing lug nut kit | H&R Sport springs |
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 10:40 PM   #7
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Cut you a break..it happens..gave you the lecture instead..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 12:14 AM   #8
MRG Race Co
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorinzo
You say the PO never articulated the reason for the stop?
Sorry, you are right. The officer claimed I was doing 8 over in a 25 zone from a dead stop at a light in the matter of 2 blocks (commercial area, no schools). I won't disagree that I was possibly going 33 in a 25 and the cop absolutely had a right to pull me over by the letter of the law... But anyone who drives in LA or any major city knows its bull shit for a cop to pull you over for that. He was targeting me because of my car which I respect as well. I could have done without the lecture if he felt he wanted to give me a ticket for 33 in a 25... I never left second gear. I have dealt with many cops over the years and this guy was just a little overzealous but I truly believe he realized he didn't have much on me and an 8 over ticket would have been a lil ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 01:23 AM   #9
DARK_M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 E90, 89 Grand Wagoneer

Right at the moment he tried to drop back to pull you over, you should have made a right turn onto a side street. I've done this a couple times and seen the cop try to slow up only to be blocked by other traffic and forced to continue on.

I hear you on the driving as you normally would regardless of fuzz next to you so long as you keep it within reasonable bounds. I had a cop (lady) follow me for about a mile. As we came up to a three lane stop light there was one spot pole position and she got over to snag it (and forget about me). I hit the turn signal and swooped in front of her just because.

Sucks that he was having such a bad day to be hasseling like that.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #10
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK_M3 View Post
Right at the moment he tried to drop back to pull you over, you should have made a right turn onto a side street. I've done this a couple times and seen the cop try to slow up only to be blocked by other traffic and forced to continue on. .
Thats brilliant..so he can get you or the OP for fleeing or evading as well..Brilliant
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #11
JZBDCT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92

I've had really pissy cops try to give me attitude before. I just took a step back and let them do their thing. They calm down after you don't poke at them. And are surprisingly just like regular people. Sometimes, they just need to vent. Just don't vent to me while I'm trying to get to work!
2012 BMW M3 Coupe JZB/Fox Red DCT ZCP. Vorsteiner Double Sided Carbon Fiber CSL Boot Lid. Paint Match Grills, Side markers, Reflectors. Carbon Fiber Splitters. Lux Angel Eyes. Custom Rear Section Exhaust with valves. Next mod: Valentine 1
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 05:27 PM   #12
Giggs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8

your wheels and drop just look too damn sick dude. he wanted to get a better look!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #13
MRG Race Co
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK_M3 View Post
Right at the moment he tried to drop back to pull you over, you should have made a right turn onto a side street. I've done this a couple times and seen the cop try to slow up only to be blocked by other traffic and forced to continue on.

I hear you on the driving as you normally would regardless of fuzz next to you so long as you keep it within reasonable bounds. I had a cop (lady) follow me for about a mile. As we came up to a three lane stop light there was one spot pole position and she got over to snag it (and forget about me). I hit the turn signal and swooped in front of her just because.

Sucks that he was having such a bad day to be hasseling like that.
I was in left lane and he was right next to me in the right lane. I went straight in the left lane and he slowed to get behind me. I knew I wasnt doing anything wrong so to be honest I was actually shocked he lit me up... I thought for a second he was turning on his lights to pass and pursue someone else. But whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
Thats brilliant..so he can get you or the OP for fleeing or evading as well..Brilliant
I would never think of evading a cop... if they're gonna pull you over 90% of the time you are going to get a ticket. So I always try to be as cordial as possible to hopefully end up with a 10% scenario or at least minimize the damage of the 90%. Despite how much of a dick this guy was to me, I think I may have broken him down a bit with how polite and cordial I was to him. Doesn't mean I cant talk shit behind his back though right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZBDCT View Post
I've had really pissy cops try to give me attitude before. I just took a step back and let them do their thing. They calm down after you don't poke at them. And are surprisingly just like regular people. Sometimes, they just need to vent. Just don't vent to me while I'm trying to get to work!
I agree with you 100%... I have always mitigated the damage by just being as nice as possible. When you give them attitude back it just increases the likelihood that they are going to try and tack on extra citations to whatever the original one was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggs View Post
your wheels and drop just look too damn sick dude. he wanted to get a better look!
Haha, funny part was that he did take out a pad of paper (not a ticket book) to jot down some notes... I glanced over at the top of the page and the title read "Things I want to do to my car, but will never afford on my Police salary"... as he was writing he started getting on me about my tire profile, and then made some remark about how his police car was still on stock wheels... blah blah blah... speedometer reading... blah blah blah LOL.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #14
Aquariu///M
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

I think PO make good money! Especially ones on bikes & CHP etc;
OP : just because you drive an M3 don't mean shit, it's lame how you made fun of him being a cop on a salary and how he can never afford an M3
You think you're driving a Lexus LFA or a Mclaren MP4 12C ?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 11:09 PM   #15
MRG Race Co
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeM3 View Post
I think PO make good money! Especially ones on bikes & CHP etc;
OP : just because you drive an M3 don't mean shit, it's lame how you made fun of him being a cop on a salary and how he can never afford an M3
You think you're driving a Lexus LFA or a Mclaren MP4 12C ?
Good money is relative... And it was clearly a joke...have a sense of humor. Don't get so butt hurt over it. The guy was a dick and that's all I'm taking from the situation. Many of my friends are cops and that's why I have respect for the profession (hence this was not a cop bashing thread). But I have zero respect for people who use their position of power to act like a complete jerk for no reason. Anyway, you are entitled to your opinion...
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 11:27 PM   #16
Aquariu///M
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

If you say so, but I never joke that someone can't afford an M3 because it's not really a big object to compare to. That comment or joke as you put it made you look like a dick... we all know you're so proud of yourself because you drive a BMW M3
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 11:43 PM   #17
MRG Race Co
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeM3 View Post
If you say so, but I never joke that someone can't afford an M3 because it's not really a big object to compare to. That comment or joke as you put it made you look like a dick... we all know you're so proud of yourself because you drive a BMW M3
Clearly you have met me and know what you are talking about so I will just let it go at that... Are you having a bad day too???
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #18
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Appreciate 0