BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

11-16-2008, 06:04 PM   #23
Bob@BPS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328

Borla E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Yeah I am assuming Magnaflows will be priced under that as well.
Probably, MagnaFlow usually uses a lower grade of stainless to achieve a lower price point. So far, the lower price options available do NOT include connecting pipes and require you cut your stock exhaust. The Borla part number is 11764 and the list is $1475.99. We will be taking pre-orders at $1324.95. This a great bargain when you consider this INCLUDES THE CONNECTING PIPES, so there will be no hacking up your stock exhaust like most current options.

As my old E46 M3 still sits in the driveway almost completely back to stock and still available for sale, I can not tell you how glad I am I kept the original exhaust intact. Personally, I refuse to hack up my stock exhaust. My stock E92 M3 exhaust is wrapped in plastic and sitting in storage for when it's time to get the next car.

Bob

Bimmer Performance Store
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 06:05 PM   #24
Bob@BPS
United_States
Rep

Borla Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by chompino View Post
The exhaust sounds great in person! I also really liked the big tips.
Me, too. Size matters!!! LOL

I think the volume is not quite as loud as your Eisenmann Race, but definitely louder than stock.

Bob

Bimmer Performance Store
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 06:11 PM   #25
Bob@BPS
United_States
Rep

How about the sedan guys???

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUNEDM3 View Post
Will Borla being make one fitment for both coupes and sedans? Not many options right now for sedan owners who actually want an exhaust that fits correctly instead of putting a coupe exhaust on.
I might have more info for you tomorrow. The car goes back for more work. I did see a coupe system on a sedan, and the tips stick out about 2" too far, so there will either need to be a sedan system or the tips need to be adjustable. Stay tuned for more info. My personal preference would be adjustable tips. The would make it so the dealers only need to stock one system, which would improve availability.

Bob

Bimmer Performance Store
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 06:55 PM   #26
335ICoupe
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Nice

Sounds good
      11-16-2008, 07:34 PM   #27
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Sounds pretty nice! A good alternative to the Remus. Now if you guys can only show a dyno graph of before and after that would really make many of us feel confident

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 08:00 PM   #28
TUNEDM3
Stay Ripping
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob@BPS View Post
I might have more info for you tomorrow. The car goes back for more work. I did see a coupe system on a sedan, and the tips stick out about 2" too far, so there will either need to be a sedan system or the tips need to be adjustable. Stay tuned for more info. My personal preference would be adjustable tips. The would make it so the dealers only need to stock one system, which would improve availability.

Bob
Thanks for the info...Hopefully, they come out with a sedan option soon as I am getting restless.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 08:36 PM   #29
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
another ready buyer for a sedan version, it's a race with Remus to get one to market.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 08:42 PM   #30
335ICoupe
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Sedan also
      11-16-2008, 08:50 PM   #31
mvagusta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3 coup

I'm ready for my coupe... Any better picture's on the muffler;s and also dyno number's and db rating... Is there a race version?? Or a x pipe or high flow cats..for the borla??? thank's or pm me...
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 09:33 PM   #32
Bob@BPS
United_States
Rep

More info

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvagusta View Post
I'm ready for my coupe... Any better picture's on the muffler;s and also dyno number's and db rating... Is there a race version?? Or a x pipe or high flow cats..for the borla??? thank's or pm me...
I'll take my DSLR with me tomorrow and see if any Kodak moments (Sony, in my case) present themselves. The unit I have on my car was made in R&D and has notes on it in Sharpie, so it isn't a final production model. One issue we all have to consider is whether we're doing a rear diffuser. The Vorsteiner and every other diffuser I have seen is essentially an overlay that will extend the opening of the bumper. This will require that the tips stick out a little farther to look right. I got Tightie sponsored by Borla and the same unit was on his car in the Toyo booth at SEMA. He as a Vorsteiner diffuser, so they have already seen one car with this issue.

They do have a DB meter, and I'll see if I can get that info. I can tell you I was at the local Home Depot tonight. When I came out there was a Firebird (probably 6-8 years old) parked next to me. When I started the M3, it set off the alarm on the Firebird. Again, the Borla is not as loudas the Eisenmann Race, but it is VERY deep sounding.

I can't disclose any other info about design, midpipes or anything that might happen until I have permission. I've been thru the development phase with Borla once before when I got them to make the midpipe for the E46 M3.
I will release more info ASAP.

Bob

Bimmer Performance Store
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 09:44 PM   #33
Aussie7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 SSII

also in the market for a sedan system and deciding between this and Remus, depends which comes out first
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 12:12 AM   #34
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

Can you tell us how long the pre order price of $1,324.95 will be good for?
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 12:43 AM   #35
Bob@BPS
United_States
Rep

Pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderco10 View Post
Can you tell us how long the pre order price of $1,324.95 will be good for?
Actually, that will be our regular price. Borla has a pricing structure that includes MSRP and a minimum advertised price. My policy is not to charge more, just because I might have the only units available at first. Just like some dealers were charging $5K over retail for M3s. I have friends at other dealerships that won't do that because they understand that, when you take advantage of a customer like that, it's unlikely they will ever buy from you again. I'd like to have you as a customer for years to come.

Bob

Bimmer Performance Store
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 12:48 AM   #36
Bob@BPS
United_States
Rep

Sedan exhaust system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie7 View Post
also in the market for a sedan system and deciding between this and Remus, depends which comes out first
Remus makes good-quality products. The main difference between the Remus & Borla is that the Borla does not require any modification of your stock exhaust. The way other manufacturers are handling the coupe vs. sedan fitment issue is to sell the rear muffler only and make you cut your stock exhaust connecting pipes for your fitment. I believe we'll have more info on couple/sedan fitment from Borla very soon.

Bob

Bimmer Performance Store
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 01:24 AM   #37
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob@BPS View Post
Actually, that will be our regular price. Borla has a pricing structure that includes MSRP and a minimum advertised price. My policy is not to charge more, just because I might have the only units available at first. Just like some dealers were charging $5K over retail for M3s. I have friends at other dealerships that won't do that because they understand that, when you take advantage of a customer like that, it's unlikely they will ever buy from you again. I'd like to have you as a customer for years to come.

Bob
That's fantastic, this will most likely be the one that I'll get when I pull the trigger. I would just like to see some pictures of the actual exhaust system. Thanks!
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 04:43 PM   #38
Bob@BPS
United_States
Rep

More Borla News

Hi Guys,

I dropped off my car at Borla today for more R&D. Here is what is going on:
  • Rear secton for the E92 M3 will be available in a few weeks at an MSRP of $1475.95 and I will be taking pre-orders at $1324.95 plus shipping (TBD).
  • There WILL be a specific fitment for the sedan guys. I gave some product info to the guys at Borla about other systems that have adjustable tips, but they felt the right way to make the exhaust it to develop one for each vehicle.
  • My car is currently being used to develop an "off-road system ONLY" that will replace the entire midpipe section and eliminate the CATS.
  • All systems will be direct bolt-on with NO CUTTING OR WELDING.

I took a few pics of the prototype system up on the rack today. NOTE: This system is a prototype and do not reflect welds that will be used on the actual production models. If you zoom in, you can see where the pipes have been tacked instead of welded.

Bob

Bimmer Performance Store
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 08:10 PM   #39
335ICoupe
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

"...Rear secton for the E92 M3 will be available in a few weeks at an MSRP of $1475.95 and I will be taking pre-orders at $1324.95 plus shipping (TBD).
There WILL be a specific fitment for the sedan guys. I gave some product info to the guys at Borla about other systems that have adjustable tips, but they felt the right way to make the exhaust it to develop one for each vehicle. ..."

Will the sedan fitment be released during the same time period?
      11-18-2008, 08:14 PM   #40
TUNEDM3
Stay Ripping
Rep

Done!!! Where do I sign? As soon as the sedan version is released you have a buyer.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 08:24 PM   #41
335ICoupe
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I sent a PM stating the same, unless Magnaflow offers something first for a lot less.
      11-18-2008, 08:33 PM   #42
TUNEDM3
Stay Ripping
Rep

Bob, could you post some videos of what the exhaust sounds like from outside the car? Revving and also accelerating?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 11:18 PM   #43
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

That sounds terrific. I hadn't heard it until this was bumped.

Is Borla planning on releasing any dyno results/graphs?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 01:11 PM   #44
Labrada_Exoticz
Subscribed
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Any update on when it will be released to the public?
Appreciate 0