BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-17-2014, 12:02 AM   #221
Koldun
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Not sure I understand why. You can buy a Porsche Macan with a diesel engine. Does that mean you wouldn't buy a GT3? Personally I couldn't care less what Marketing decides to do (yes, any Msport cars gets ///M stickers now). It's all irrelevant as long as the cars that I care about, i.e M2/3/4 are still special cars. Personally, I can't wait to see what they do with the M2, irregardless whether they have ///M SUV's or not.
Fair point, but Porsche is not an otherwise relatively pedestrian company with a motorsport division. Diesels and SUVs are the oddballs in the lineup, they make no compromises with their core product.

But yes, I'm looking forward to the M2 as well. Although "irregardless"? Really? Come on, man, you're better than that.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 12:03 AM   #222
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldun
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330indy View Post
A bit of an additional gripe!!!

Just saw this at our hotel:
A 420d vert, with M badges !!!!!
Pictures may not be great.

Oh yeah, from the factory....
Serious performance!
:-/
Uh is that real? Wow. M badges on an entry-level diesel?

It's official, ///M is dead. And for all the people saying, "people have been meaning about the death of M since the E36 was released, where do you draw the line?" This. This right here is where I draw the line. SUVs, EPS, turbos, and now M-badged diesels? Oh yeah, this is the line.
+1 I couldn't agree more.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 04:07 PM   #223
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Some lap time comparison data

M3/4 stat. Portimao lap 2mins 2.86 sec. 4.5 seconds faster than E92M. Unofficially, just 1sec slower than a GT3 (assuming 997).

Impressive stat, but have to keep in mind a couple of performance variables in the F80's favor --

Wider, superior rubber on the F80. 255/275 vs 245/265 for E92, PS2 vs Super Sport

(For reference Portimao is 4648 meters in length.)

Believe nearly all of the press cars are equipped with ceramics and DCT. Unknown if the old E92 lap time was done with DCT, but either way not a 1:1 with E92 brakes.

This is not to say I don't think the F80 is faster on track. Wonder by how much if it's an even playing field with tires, trans and brakes.

Appreciate 0